Turn on thread page Beta

There is no double standard for white mass murderers watch

ReputationRep:
    Respect!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dandaman1)
    It seems each time a white person shoots up a bunch of people, we will hear the inevitable chorus of "If he was Muslim he would have been called a terrorist." We will also get people trying to call the shooter a terrorist, despite him not actually fitting the definition, seemingly in a half-witted attempt to make a statement.

A person who commits an act of terror, or at least appears to have done so, will likely be called a terrorist by the media. A person with a history of mental illness who kills a bunch of people will likely be called mentally ill by the media. It's not rocket science. If it appears white mass killers are described as mentally ill more often, then perhaps it really is the case that they are. We don't know. Instead people will base their conclusions entirely on their subjective interpretations of what they happen to see on the news. This isn't reliable.

Lastly, we have this notion come up that anyone who kills a bunch of people must be mentally ill anyway. To that I say perfectly healthy people are just as capable of doing evil things. Just look at human history.

There is no proof at all that there is a double standard, and I am sick of hearing the unfounded notion that there is every single time.
    I would argue that someone who decides to shoot a bunch of random people DOES have something mentally wrong with them. The whole narrative is skewed though because everything about media portrayal of mass killings in the US is about avoiding the suggestions that it's a bad idea to let every tom, **** and harry have access to military grade weaponry.

If the suspects skin is brown: fantastic, introduce legislation against brown people and be hailed as a hero and do nothing about peoples access to guns.
    If the suspects skin is white: doesn't fit the terrorist narrative of the last 17 years so make a lot of noise about mental health to smoke screen america's tragic gun problem but don't actually do anything about mental health funding because that would be government funded healthcare, which for some reason is even worse than common sense gun legislation. Succeed in failing to do anything about two major problems the country is facing.

ReputationRep:
    Guns don't kill people, people do. The root of the problem is that people are not educated enough on why its not okay to mass murder people and how the mental health of young teenagers that get overlooked.

You can introduce all the gun laws but it's not going to stop them finding another weapon of choice. It helps of course not having something that can cause that much damage but its not that simple when a place for years have had guns readily available to the public, how are you going to regulate stricter gun control?

Even if they did make it stricter, the changes wouldn't even start to really take effect after 10 years. The current president isn't for it, even if you get a democrat e.g. who does try to make reform the next president with a different political agenda would just repeal the laws anyway. Obama spent 8 years complaining about it and nothing got done about it. It's a joke, however it doesn't get sorted out with just taking away the guns. They'd just get smuggled in anyway. In the UK I'm pretty sure I could buy a gun within a week if I asked around despite it being banned, in the US if it was banned(which almost definitely wouldn't happen for another 4 years) what makes you think they wouldn't still just produce guns secretly anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamantacademic)
    Whatever the motivation there seems to be a growing cancer developing in white american teen males, and anti-Islam apologists seem to be turning these moments on Muslims for some bizarre reason. When there's a lunatic Muslim blowing some place up, the same people slate the entire Islamic community, and as it should be, no one speaks of other forms of maniacs. Let's take this time to understand this fanaticism, and pay our respects to victims and heroes. F*ck Terror!
    White American teenagers are the majority of teenagers in America they also mostly Christian. They no more likely than any other ethnic group to go on shooting spreed there just more white people to do mass murder

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HighOnGoofballs)
    The definition of terrorism tells us that for something to be labelled as terrorism, the perpetrator must have a political aim. If NO political aim can be identified, it simply cannot be called terrorism.
    Leftists that seem so fastidious about getting definitions correct (often twisting them to suit their narrative re: racism) it's strange how this salient fact sails over their head.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    oh please, we see the same narrative each and every time. possibly white privilege?
    (Original post by adamantacademic)
    Mentally ill people who commit mass murders can aren't terrorists. Oh please!
    And I'm pretty sure the 'Muslims' who carry out acts of terror are no less mentally stable, they're equally ducked up in the head
    Learn what the term "terrorist" actually means before using it to push your agenda. Terrorism requires a political aim. ISIS hates the western way of life and our governments' foreign policy. Also, their religion is very conservative, the west is relatively liberal.

A random kid that shoots up a school has no political grudge or hate against the government so he's not a terrorist. They don't shoot kids because they hate the US govt.

Learn the terms you spew so often.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bammy jastard 27)
    Guns don't kill people, people do.
    It's much easier to kill large amounts of people with a gun than with a knife.

It's the easy access to guns that makes the thought of killing loads of people a reality.

The root of the problem is that people are not educated enough on why its not okay to mass murder people
    Pretty sure the shooters know what they're doing is against the law and wrong.

You can introduce all the gun laws but it's not going to stop them finding another weapon of choice. It helps of course not having something that can cause that much damage but its not that simple when a place for years have had guns readily available to the public, how are you going to regulate stricter gun control?
    America has a lot of guns yes, and it might be very difficult to put the genie back into the bottle, will take generations before you make a dent in it but that doesn't mean they shouldn’t bother trying.

The solution to gun violence is less guns.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by looloo2134)
    White American teenagers are the majority of teenagers in America they also mostly Christian. They no more likely than any other ethnic group to go on shooting spreed there just more white people to do mass murder
    The Lunatic extremist 'Muslims' are also outliers of societies, not suggesting double standards, but the nature of violent activity is consistent
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    It's much easier to kill large amounts of people with a gun than with a knife.

It's the easy access to guns that makes the thought of killing loads of people a reality.
    I already mentioned that but what stops a guy from bringing a sword into class and killing a bunch of people with that? Or having a lot of acid and a lighter in their school bag?

Basically what I'm saying is that people will find ways around it. Playing devils advocate here btw, I just don't think the problem is as simple as ban guns. They tried to ban alcohol in america and look how that turned out. How did the war on drugs turn out too? People still have easy access to drugs, its just put a bunch of people in prison into a system of crime and now they've even been more lax on the laws and are decriminalising some of the drugs.
    Pretty sure the shooters know what they're doing is against the law and wrong.
    If they're mentally deranged then clearly they don't know much better. Is that not what the apologists in the media are trying to say with their stories. If you have a clear mental problem, like being genuinely psychotic, then surely education(not just with the potential perpetrator but with potential workers) will help.

America has a lot of guns yes, and it might be very difficult to put the genie back into the bottle, will take generations before you make a dent in it but that doesn't mean they shouldn’t bother trying.

The solution to gun violence is less guns.
    I'm not saying don't try, all I'm saying is that Obama spent 8 years trying to stop the problem, trying to introduce new gun laws and not much has changed. I'm not talking about school shootings either. You think those tighter gun laws are going to stop people from impoverished backgrounds from killing each other e.g.? You think those same guys who are selling smuggled drugs give a damn that there's a ban on guns?

Maybe it'll be harder for a suburban white kid to get the glock from daddys closet but it doesn't stop them from buying it from a random guy on the street.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dandaman1)
    It seems each time a white person shoots up a bunch of people, we will hear the inevitable chorus of "If he was Muslim he would have been called a terrorist."
    Where have you heard this 'inevitable chorus'? The only reference I could find to Cruz being a terrorist was on the extreme right comedy site 'Infowars', which tried to suggest that the shooting was inspired by ISIS because he wore similar clothing.

Still, if you're that upset about something that hasn't happened maybe you should get in touch with the Florida Authorities and get your name added to the list of victims.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lit teacher)
    Still, if you're that upset about something that hasn't happened maybe you should get in touch with the Florida Authorities and get your name added to the list of victims.
    Oooh, that was good.

ReputationRep:
    They may find other things around it, but it would make it a damn sight harder to to kill many people. We don't have guns here in the UK and we don't have people going all ninja with a samurai everyday in our schools/streets/car washes etc, sure we have stabbings like everywhere else, but mass killings certainly are not common (a mass killing being defined as four or more people dead).....also the comparison between drugs and alcohol with guns is a poor one, guns are designed to kill and injure people, thats all they are for.

But, my opinion, for what it is worth, is that i don't particularly care. They want guns, they've got guns and they are prepared to put up with near daily mass shootings and slaughtered children. If thats what they want, then let them get on with it and stop with these pointless conversations that go around in circles, achieving nothing.

And this idea that people need educating, are you serious, you need to educate people that machine gunning kids is wrong?

I already mentioned that but what stops a guy from bringing a sword into class and killing a bunch of people with that? Or having a lot of acid and a lighter in their school bag?

Basically what I'm saying is that people will find ways around it. Playing devils advocate here btw, I just don't think the problem is as simple as ban guns. They tried to ban alcohol in america and look how that turned out. How did the war on drugs turn out too? People still have easy access to drugs, its just put a bunch of people in prison into a system of crime and now they've even been more lax on the laws and are decriminalising some of the drugs.

If they're mentally deranged then clearly they don't know much better. Is that not what the apologists in the media are trying to say with their stories. If you have a clear mental problem, like being genuinely psychotic, then surely education(not just with the potential perpetrator but with potential workers) will help.

I'm not saying don't try, all I'm saying is that Obama spent 8 years trying to stop the problem, trying to introduce new gun laws and not much has changed. I'm not talking about school shootings either. You think those tighter gun laws are going to stop people from impoverished backgrounds from killing each other e.g.? You think those same guys who are selling smuggled drugs give a damn that there's a ban on guns?

Maybe it'll be harder for a suburban white kid to get the glock from daddys closet but it doesn't stop them from buying it from a random guy on the street.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Denzel89)
    They may find other things around it, but it would make it a damn sight harder to to kill many people. We don't have guns here in the UK and we don't have people going all ninja with a samurai everyday in our schools/streets/car washes etc, sure we have stabbings like everywhere else, but mass killings certainly are not common (a mass killing being defined as four or more people dead).....also the comparison between drugs and alcohol with guns is a poor one, guns are designed to kill and injure people, thats all they are for.

But, my opinion, for what it is worth, is that i don't particularly care. They want guns, they've got guns and they are prepared to put up with near daily mass shootings and slaughtered children. If thats what they want, then let them get on with it and stop with these pointless conversations that go around in circles, achieving nothing.

And this idea that people need educating, are you serious, you need to educate people that machine gunning kids is wrong?
    Course not. Also there's a fair bit of gun crime and a lot of stabbings/killings in the UK. I wasn't just talking about school shootings either, just killings in general. Also the stabbing rate here in the UK for young people has been pretty high for years.

Just because Alcohol and Drugs aren't designed to kill people(despite the fact they do actually do that but that's another point and goes to the point that people kill people) its the same concept, attempting to ban these kind of stuff is just going to lead to contraband trading, there's so many guns there already that it's impossible to regulate, even if they get to a point that it is regulated properly that's going to be at least one generation, all it takes is for one president that's gun friendly to just repeal these laws. That being said, still worth a try, just that its not going to be the magic solution you all think it will be. The UK allowed women to vote ages ago and have anti discrimination laws yet they still don't get the same salary as a man on the same job would e.g.

People need educating, as in what to do if there's a guy who's clearly showing disturbing signs of mental behaviour, how you can help said person in their life and prevent them from getting into a situation where they are machine gunning kids. Also I'm pretty sure there are people in the world who see nothing wrong with mass murdering people and it seems right to them as weird as it sounds to you(have you heard of these guys called ISIS e.g.). All I'm saying is its not as simple as take away the guns and the murders will stop. You think the other stuff like gang violence e.g. is going to suddenly stop and they will stop killing because they took away the guns(which they'd just get contraband anyway)?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Guns don't kill people, people do.
    Yeah, people with guns!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The PoliticalGuy)
    Yeah, people with guns!
    People with knives, people with ropes, people with fists, people with 'insert any object here'

I'm having fun on this and just thought I'd do that quote but I'm being semi genuine. If someone wants to kill somebody else taking away a gun isn't going to stop them from finding another way.

ReputationRep:
    People with knives, people with ropes, people with fists, people with 'insert any object here'

I'm having fun on this and just thought I'd do that quote but I'm being semi genuine. If someone wants to kill somebody else taking away a gun isn't going to stop them from finding another way.
    Right but people with fists can't kill 17 children in a school. Neither can people with knives. People with guns can though.

ReputationRep:
    Right but people with fists can't kill 17 children in a school. Neither can people with knives. People with guns can though.
    You can kill 17 children with knives if nobody else has one and you're quick.

Bruce Lee probably could kill 17 people with his fists.

In all seriousness guns obviously are the most effective and accessible way of doing so.

ReputationRep:
    You can kill 17 children with knives if nobody else has one and you're quick.

Bruce Lee probably could kill 17 people with his fists.
    That's like saying you could kill people by black holes if you found a way to make one. Both situations are not implausible, but highly hypothetical and improbable.

It's hard to deny that guns are a much more effective killing machine than knives.

As for your second sentence, good joke.

ReputationRep:
    That's like saying you could kill people by black holes if you found a way to make one. Both situations are not implausible, but highly hypothetical and improbable.

It's hard to deny that guns are a much more effective killing machine than knives.

As for your second sentence, good joke.
    Oh I'm not fully serious obviously.

ReputationRep:
    Oh I'm not fully serious obviously.
    Sorry, as a robot devoid of emotion, I'm finding it hard to integrate into homo-sapien societies.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.