Turn on thread page Beta
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by HighOnGoofballs)
    The definition of terrorism tells us that for something to be labelled as terrorism, the perpetrator must have a political aim. If NO political aim can be identified, it simply cannot be called terrorism.
    Please feel free to correct me if i'm wrong here but as there is no universally accepted definition of a 'terrorism' doesnt that make it somewhat hard to say that they unilaterally must have a political motive?
    As a side point though what about the people who commit an act of terror in the name of religious or other vague reasons? By every metric it is still a terrorist attack even if there is no overt political motive behind it..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    Please feel free to correct me if i'm wrong here but as there is no universally accepted definition of a 'terrorism' doesnt that make it somewhat hard to say that they unilaterally must have a political motive?
    As a side point though what about the people who commit an act of terror in the name of religious or other vague reasons? By every metric it is still a terrorist attack even if there is no overt political motive behind it..
    As for the first part...yes and no. Oxford, Collin and Dictionary.com all state political aim must be present for it to be terrorism.

The only other reputable publication that doesn't include political aims is Merriam-Webster.

But generally 3 reputable dictionaries, especially including Oxford > MW

As for your second point, gimme some examples. Labelling something as terrorism cant be done with a broad brush, it has to be done through a case by case basis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    Islamists do what a political motive though 🤨
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by paul514)
    Islamists do what a political motive though 🤨
    Strangely enough it isnt just islamists who like to go around bombing and shooting in the name of religion.

(Original post by HighOnGoofballs)
    As for the first part...yes and no. Oxford, Collin and Dictionary.com all state political aim must be present for it to be terrorism.

The only other reputable publication that doesn't include political aims is Merriam-Webster.

But generally 3 reputable dictionaries, especially including Oxford > MW

As for your second point, gimme some examples. Labelling something as terrorism cant be done with a broad brush, it has to be done through a case by case basis.
    I more meant in terms of organisations and institutions such as the UN, governments etc. and that they don't have a unifying definition.
    Some examples of attacks I would call terrorist in nature but don't meet the metric thus provided by the other poster?
    I agree on your last bit though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    I more meant in terms of organisations and institutions such as the UN, governments etc. and that they don't have a unifying definition.
    Some examples of attacks I would call terrorist in nature but don't meet the metric thus provided by the other poster?
    I agree on your last bit though.
    And?

ReputationRep:
    This does not make sense at all. Is murder not murder? is terror not terror? Or do you have to be of a certain race or religion to be called a terrorist? What if Muslims called mass murderers and terrorists 'mentally unfit' you would call us terrorist sympathisers. It's just double standards and white privilege. The white mans always right, even when he raped, killed and stole whole f**king continents and claimed other peoples history, knowledge and civilisations because you are too ashamed to say you were primitive hunter gatherers and cavemen 3000 years ago when Egypt had civilisation 4500 years ago, China had civilisation 6000 years ago, Iraq had civilisation 7000 years ago and Pakistan had civilisation 9000 years ago. Get the f**k out of here with your white privilege bs, you are just afraid your 300 year dominance is coming to a end. 300 years LOL when eastern civilisations had golden ages for thousands of years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    How is it a drastic measure? Should they have waited for hundreds of kids to die before taking any action? And They haven’t banned grapes. Just as no one is proposing we ban guns. Parents have been advised on the ways they should cut grapes for their children to minimising the chance of choking. Just as gun control would minimise the chances of an angry teenager shooting up your child’s school.

Gun control is not the same as Gun banning. You need to let go of this ‘it’s still going to happen’ mindset. Should we stop educating our children about safe sex because unplanned pregnancies and STDs are still going to happen?

We also have a lot of mentally ill people here in the UK, they don’t all live in the USA. Only difference is that we don’t grant them easy access to guns. Far too often are innocent children killed by shootings because they get caught in drive bys while playing in their front garden. Far too often have young children found a gun in their house and used it to accidentally shoot and kill their older siblings. If not gun control, what else can be done?
    Pretty sure the thing I quoted said grapes were removed from the menu(therefore Pizza hut banned it for kids effectively).

Wait but when I said people should be educated on issues like guns and mental illness I got ridiculed earlier in the thread?

Yeah they don't have easy access to guns but there's still killings here. Like it obviously helps solve the problem controlling guns but it won't solve it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeBruyne18)
    Atomic bombs don't kill people, people do. Therefore everyone should have the right to an atomic bomb. Right?
    Yes lol.

Man I agree with you guys anyway which was part of the reason why I did that stupid quote, I personally would just make it hard for people to obtain guns but whatever we don't live in that society where that's possible in the USA to completely stop as it's 200+ years worth of law and a multibillion dollar business that you have to reverse, that's not easy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeBruyne18)
    Well that's the point. Why did the state not charge him with terrorism?

Why is someone killing people in order to start a race war, not terrorism?

What's the difference between what Dylan Roof did and what the Manchester killer did? Both killed people outside their 'group' for fundamentalist reasons. Why is one terrorism but not the other?

Genuinely interested in what you think are the real differences between the two.
    Presumably because the prosecution weren't confident they could successfully indict Roof on terror charges, particularly as his provable actions wouldn't strictly have been considered terrorism under US federal law. It was easier for them to argue murder and felony hate crime, thus push for the death penalty, rather than try to open up a can of worms that would effectively make any act of violence motivated by racial (or other) hatred against a group of people an act of terrorism.

It's important to remember an act of terror is not necessarily any more serious than an act of murder. It's not an upgrade. Most criminal terrorism in the United States doesn't even involve instances of homicide. It's simply a term used to describe when an act of violence or intimidation against the public was carried out with the intention to coerce a political goal of some kind. Wanting to kill black people because one wanted to kill all black people might sound political to you and like terrorism in your mind, but to the United States it is a felony hate crime.

I don't believe the Manchester bomber carried out his attack because he wanted to rid the world of little white girls. In fact, if that was his prerogative, and of if he carried out the attack in the US, that too would have likely been prosecuted as murder and felony hate crime as per federal law.

Yh only non Muslims can have a history of being “mentally ill”...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    And?
    And why are you wittering on about Islamists ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bammy jastard 27)
    Pretty sure the thing I quoted said grapes were removed from the menu(therefore Pizza hut banned it for kids effectively).
    They just don’t sell them anymore. Banning would imply that they don’t allow anyone to bring their own grapes into their restaurants - that’s not the case.

Wait but when I said people should be educated on issues like guns and mental illness I got ridiculed earlier in the thread?

Yeah they don't have easy access to guns but there's still killings here. Like it obviously helps solve the problem controlling guns but it won't solve it.
    I don’t know why you got ridiculed for saying that.

Well yeah there will always be killings. Theres nothing we can do to totally eradicate the problem which is why we resort to the second best thing: having better control. It’s like the illegal drug trade. Politicians and the criminal justice system have accepted that nothing can be done to solve the drugs problem and completely eradicate the illegal drugs trade, but they’ve developed ways to maintain it so that they have better control e.g allowing heroin users to have a small dose of the drug in controlled environments to prevent them from overdosing, sharing dirty needles or committing crime to fund their habit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smoggie)
    This does not make sense at all. Is murder not murder? is terror not terror? Or do you have to be of a certain race or religion to be called a terrorist? What if Muslims called mass murderers and terrorists 'mentally unfit' you would call us terrorist sympathisers. It's just double standards and white privilege. The white mans always right, even when he raped, killed and stole whole f**king continents and claimed other peoples history, knowledge and civilisations because you are too ashamed to say you were primitive hunter gatherers and cavemen 3000 years ago when Egypt had civilisation 4500 years ago, China had civilisation 6000 years ago, Iraq had civilisation 7000 years ago and Pakistan had civilisation 9000 years ago. Get the f**k out of here with your white privilege bs, you are just afraid your 300 year dominance is coming to a end. 300 years LOL when eastern civilisations had golden ages for thousands of years.
    You clearly haven't read the whole thread - everything you have said has been disproven to death already...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    And why are you wittering on about Islamists ?
    It was a direct response to you mentioning them
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Smoggie)
    I think someone thinks white people seem to think they’re superior, that white privilege exists, double standards between different mass homocides exist... tell the Irish that white privilege exists. Tell East Europeans that white privilege exists. Tell the White Working Class in general that white privilege exists. Then come back and say that, the great age of exploration that begun 500 years ago might have brought negatives but it was vital for how the world formed itself today, an age of exploration that has led to the world being interconnected. To claim they siphoned off other countries’ culture and knowledge seems to be ignorant as such
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    It was a direct response to you mentioning them
    I didnt once mention islamists.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CountBrandenburg)
    I think someone thinks white people seem to think they’re superior, that white privilege exists, double standards between different mass homocides exist... tell the Irish that white privilege exists. Tell East Europeans that white privilege exists. Tell the White Working Class in general that white privilege exists. Then come back and say that, the great age of exploration that begun 500 years ago might have brought negatives but it was vital for how the world formed itself today, an age of exploration that has led to the world being interconnected. To claim they siphoned off other countries’ culture and knowledge seems to be ignorant as such
    If you can't understand that there are different levels to privilege depending on the group and the social status you are in you are hopeless and probably a low key racist. Obviously there are some black/asian people that are better off than white people but in general white people are better off than non whites.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    Political Ambassador
    If you can't understand that there are different levels to privilege depending on the group and the social status you are in you are hopeless and probably a low key racist. Obviously there are some black/asian people that are better off than white people but in general white people are better off than non whites.
    I do not believe that is true, it seems highly improbable as the white working class tends to be the least well off. Please explain how this supposed white privilege exists and how everything in the whole world at the moment seems to be stacked against ethnic minorities, because such evidence would be appreciated. In fact, it would appear to me that the white working class may get shafted in pursuit of diversity and fails to give an equality of opportunity that would bring together communities.
    That is the true double standard, not favouritism of media of whites, but SJW’s and their sort crying out against non existent oppression and failing to acknowledge the very problems in society that they claim to fix and indeed perpetrate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CountBrandenburg)
    I do not believe that is true, it seems highly improbable as the white working class tends to be the least well off. Please explain how this supposed white privilege exists and how everything in the whole world at the moment seems to be stacked against ethnic minorities, because such evidence would be appreciated. In fact, it would appear to me that the white working class may get shafted in pursuit of diversity and fails to give an equality of opportunity that would bring together communities.
    That is the true double standard, not favouritism of media of whites, but SJW’s and their sort crying out against non existent oppression and failing to acknowledge the very problems in society that they claim to fix and indeed perpetrate.
    Being a pseudo-intellectual doesn't cover the fact you're a low key racist.

How many crosses have you burnt this week?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    Political Ambassador
    Being a pseudo-intellectual doesn't cover the fact you're a low key racist.

How many crosses have you burnt this week?
    I won’t comment on what you’re insinuating with that last comment...
    Please explain to me, or provide stats which suggest that white privilege exists. I’ll share a few articles
    https://www.economist.com/news/unite...-working-class
    https://www.ethnicity-facts-figures....ipation/latest
    It seems to imply that whites have less chance of progressing to further education (relative to their percentage make up of the population) and that rates of unemployment in America ( and I suspect in the UK when further broken down) is highest amongst this demographic. Therefore you can infer there is not favouritism towards whites
    Calling me a “low key racist” does not achieve anything nor helps your case. If you have evidence of me being racist please share with me

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.