Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

There is no double standard for white mass murderers watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TCA2b)
    So what about all those presidents before him, all the time whilst mental disorder diagnoses have been on the rise in tandem with the usage of psychotropic medications to treat it? I understand that it may seem like a large % of the population has mental disorders, what with the prominent airtime SJWs are given, but what constitutes a "mental disorder" in this context? What did Trump even say about it that has you in such a twist?
    I'm not talking about the other presidents, I'm talking about Trump. 1 in 4 people will suffer from a mental health problem in their lives, that's a huge amount.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cat_mac)
    Honestly it’s disrespectful to the victims of the mass shooting to make it about the way muslims could be misrepresented.

Cruz has a history of mental illness and he was known to be dangerous, this is highlighted because maybe something could have been done to stop him. He had extreme views but there is nothing to indicate this was a politically driven attack.

Misrepresenting every killer as a terrorist doesn’t make up for the times that you believe muslims have been falsely labeled as terrorists.

It is a fair point though. But it is not just about Muslim's. Why is it only white people are seen as 'troubled with mental health.'

Black criminals get accused of gangbangers, thugs etc...

Latinos and other immigrants the media makes a narrative that they are nothing but trouble and immigrants are bad people.

For Muslims media assumes the reason why they did it. If a Muslim shooter had mental health that would be disregarded. Like for Rotherham they always say they did it because they were Muslims. These guys don't even follow Islam themselves they drink, deal drugs, harm to others etc..

ReputationRep:
    The reason Cruz wasn't labelled as a terrorist was because despite his membership of a white supremacist gang, he didn't have any political aims as far as we're aware. But of course, you will have the people playing the race card or calling it 'white privilege' as always. :L

Whether they're mentally ill, terrorists (of any religion, not just Muslims), black, white, whatever, they're still guilty of killing innocent people which is obviously never excusable. Why there has to be an argument about race I don't know. 100% with you OP.

It's important to realise that not everyone with mental illness is capable of being a mass murderer though; it's a contributing factor but mental illness doesn't make you a murderer. Neither does race. Neither does religion. I'm sure people of all races can at least agree that murder isn't right. Rather than try and label all mass murderers as terrorists or make it a race issue, could everyone please keep that agreement in mind?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bammy jastard 27)
    If you can't understand that there are different levels to privilege depending on the group and the social status you are in you are hopeless and probably a low key racist. Obviously there are some black/asian people that are better off than white people but in general white people are better off than non whites.
    LOL the irony is unbearable.

You call him racist, yet the very definition of white privledge is racist.

When you attribute a certain set of characteristics to an entire race in the attempt to paint them as superior or inferior - the DEFINITION of racism, something white privledge allocates itself into perfectly.

ReputationRep:
    If you can't understand that there are different levels to privilege depending on the group and the social status you are in you are hopeless and probably a low key racist.
    That or you're just an indoctrinated fool.

Obviously there are some black/asian people that are better off than white people but in general white people are better off than non whites.
    Demonstrably false in relation to Jews (who largely do not even consider themselves white, even where there is a basis for it)/east-Asians. Since when did this privilege crap amount to simply being better off, anyway? It usually goes with a (false) oppression narrative. As a newsflash, BTW: Afro-americans are better off than the vast majority of this planet's inhabitants and certainly far more so than the average African. Better check their privilege...

All one can say of the matter is that there's outcome differences. Imbuing this with the "privilege" garbage leftists are keen on is just injecting your unsubstantiated ideology into it.

Best part? I don't care if this makes me a "low key racist".

(Original post by HighOnGoofballs)

When you attribute a certain set of characteristics to an entire race in the attempt to paint them as superior or inferior - the DEFINITION of racism, something white privledge allocates itself into perfectly.
    The one-sided fantasy narrative that drives their rhetoric is the part that may arguably be called 'racist'.

(Original post by CountBrandenburg)
    I won’t comment on what you’re insinuating with that last comment...
    Please explain to me, or provide stats which suggest that white privilege exists. I’ll share a few articles
    https://www.economist.com/news/unite...-working-class
    https://www.ethnicity-facts-figures....ipation/latest
    It seems to imply that whites have less chance of progressing to further education (relative to their percentage make up of the population) and that rates of unemployment in America ( and I suspect in the UK when further broken down) is highest amongst this demographic. Therefore you can infer there is not favouritism towards whites
    Calling me a “low key racist” does not achieve anything nor helps your case. If you have evidence of me being racist please share with me

In addition to those sites, this is good with particular reference to the US.

(Original post by ineedtorevise127)
    It is a fair point though. But it is not just about Muslim's. Why is it only white people are seen as 'troubled with mental health.'

Black criminals get accused of gangbangers, thugs etc...

Latinos and other immigrants the media makes a narrative that they are nothing but trouble and immigrants are bad people.

For Muslims media assumes the reason why they did it. If a Muslim shooter had mental health that would be disregarded.
    Nah, when there are legitimate mental health issues involved, those are referenced, as was the case with Elliot Rodgers, for instance. However, any research into the causes of the relatively higher level of criminality of mestizos and blacks in the US that produces conclusions unfavourable to the current year ideological zeitgeist risks getting you branded as a "racist".

However, your points are not even particularly relevant. The higher criminality of these groups is very much treated as a social issue to be rectified through government transfers of wealth in the US, and they are in receipt of significant funds in this respect, and may even be worsening the situation (e.g. in terms of the incidence of single motherhood). Moreover, who is denying that a mass shooter is a criminal by alluding to the possible causes of their activities?

Like for Rotherham they always say they did it because they were Muslims. These guys don't even follow Islam themselves they drink, deal drugs, harm to others etc..
    LMAO

Which media? The same media and political establishment which covered this up for YEARS for fear of being called racist? The fact of the matter is they might not be very good Muslims (IDK on what basis that'd be the case), but which aspects of the Qu'ran or hadiths are they acting in contravention to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HighOnGoofballs)

Check your privilege before you wreck your privilege.

In all seriousness all I'm saying is that different social groups have different standings in society? Not even just about race... e.g. I think classism is a bigger issue than race issues at this moment in time anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TCA2b)
    The MSM is doing its utmost to make it seem like there's some manner of big KKK or Nazi resurgence in the US, when there is no such thing
    And yet the FACTS show that domestic right-wing terrorism is a far bigger problem in the US than the threat posed by Americans following radical Islam.
    Between 2008 and Dylan Roof's gun attack in Charleston "there were 201 total cases of domestic terrorism in the United States – almost three times the rate of the preceding eight years. The large majority of these crimes were committed by rightwing extremists – some 115 in all, compared to 63 cases of Islamist-inspired domestic terror, and 19 cases of leftwing-extremist terrorism."
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ng-hate-crimes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CountBrandenburg)
    that there is a different sort of double standard within media, one that seems to demonise only one side, where is more that one side that is wrong. The double standard for shooting cases however doesn’t exist.
    You are right about the media double standards, in the US at least. (Can't find a comparable study for the UK)

"Analysis of coverage of all terrorist attacks in the US between 2011 and 2015 found there was a 449 per cent increase in media attention when the perpetrator was Muslim.
    Muslims committed just 12.4 per cent of attacks during the period studied but received 41.4 per cent of news coverage, the survey found."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7820726.html

ReputationRep:
    Right, "facts"...

https://areomagazine.com/2017/05/28/...mic-terrorist/

https://www.cato.org/blog/terrorism-...sville-anomaly

And even so, the "right wing" figures appear only to be as high as quoted in the Cato piece because of how many ideologies are being lumped together.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    oh please, we see the same narrative each and every time. possibly white privilege?
    No, it’s your lack of understanding of law and ignorance to news stories:

1. As I feel I’ve explained a thousand times, terrorism almost always involves an effort to influence governmental policy which is why Stephen Paddock isn’t a terrorist and Mohamed Atta is. White people are called terrorists when they commit acts of terror and on occasion even when they don’t (Dylann Roof committed a hate crime yet was called a terrorist). You say we seem the same narrative every time and you appear to have closed off your mind to it being caused by anything other than ‘white privilege’; have you considered that perhaps it’s simply because white people commit less acts of terror?
    2. To think we hear the same stories every time is simply ignorant; yes there were plenty of news stories about the mental health of people like Nikolas Cruz and Stephen Paddock but the mental health of Micah Johnson, Omar Mateen and Nidal Hasan was also questioned by the media. It seems almost inevitable when someone decides to kill lots of other people questions will be raised about their mental health, because to the average person doing something like that seems inconceivable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TCA2b)
    Right, "facts"...

https://areomagazine.com/2017/05/28/...mic-terrorist/

https://www.cato.org/blog/terrorism-...sville-anomaly

And even so, the "right wing" figures appear only to be as high as quoted in the Cato piece because of how many ideologies are being lumped together.
    I remember debating one of these lists of all of the white supremacist ‘terrorist attacks’ with someone before, on a lot of the entries there was practically no detail and I remember one in particular that I was googling to find a news story about but couldn’t find anything at all. A lot of them, to me, appeared to hate crimes and I think people misunderstand the line between hate crime and terrorism

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Underscore__)
    I remember debating one of these lists of all of the white supremacist ‘terrorist attacks’ with someone before, on a lot of the entries there was practically no detail and I remember one in particular that I was googling to find a news story about but couldn’t find anything at all. A lot of them, to me, appeared to hate crimes and I think people misunderstand the line between hate crime and terrorism
    What do you think the difference is?
    Why is someone killing people for Islamic fundamentalist reasons terrorism but someone killing people for white supremacist reasons hate crime? Why are they both not instances of terrorism?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeBruyne18)
    Why is someone killing people for Islamic fundamentalist reasons terrorism but someone killing people for white supremacist reasons hate crime? Why are they both not instances of terrorism?
    Who’s killing for white supremacy that being listed as a hate crime?

ReputationRep:
    Because islamic fundamentalist attacks (al-qaeda, Isis et al.) make a clear effort to influence governmental policy. If you can name an incident of white suprematist carrying out an attack designed to influence the government then I’ll agree it’s terrorism but a white supremacist killing a Mexican after an argument in a convenience store (the incident I tried to find a news story for) is a hate crime, there’s no clear attempt to influence policy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    Who’s killing for white supremacy that being listed as a hate crime?
    Dylan Roof, for example.

ReputationRep:
    Dylan Roof, for example.
    That’s fair enough then but I was expecting some huge list seeing as this is supposed to be a huge problem.

I could counter that with the black guy killing police men because of them killing black men a couple of years ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lit teacher)
    You are right about the media double standards, in the US at least. (Can't find a comparable study for the UK)

"Analysis of coverage of all terrorist attacks in the US between 2011 and 2015 found there was a 449 per cent increase in media attention when the perpetrator was Muslim.
    Muslims committed just 12.4 per cent of attacks during the period studied but received 41.4 per cent of news coverage, the survey found."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7820726.html
    Muslims are only 1% of the America population if what say 12.4% of attacks are by Muslims. That make Muslim Americans 12 times more likely do a terrorist attacks than other Americans.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The PoliticalGuy)
    Salem abedi - Manchester bomber ,A alcohol and cannabis addict who was described by one of his teachers as "not okay".Not covered by the media.
    Where did you get this information? From the media, perhaps? That's where I found it.

Omar mahteen - Shooter of 49 people at nightclub declared mentally disturbed. Again not covered by the media.
    Same question. How did you know about this? One of the many MSM sources that reported it, perhaps?

What we usually find when someone claims that "the media won't tell you about x" is that the media do indeed tell you, but certain social media feeds don't.
    Just because something doesn't come up on your facebook or twitter feeds, doesn't mean that the MSM aren't reporting it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andrew97)
    The Cruz attack was not a terror attack as no motive has been established, the same could be said for the Las Vegas shooter. Shouldn’t we really be having more of a conversation on how the FBI failed to stop Cruz given his history and previous threads, instead of arguing over what to call it?
    For some, establishing a tu quoque argument is an important means of mitigating certain violent acts by people they have an association with.

ReputationRep:
    I already mentioned that but what stops a guy from bringing a sword into class and killing a bunch of people with that? Or having a lot of acid and a lighter in their school bag?
    Ah, the old "We can't entirely eradicate a risk, so what's the point in trying to reduce it" argument.

Well done.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.