Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can I go to Oxbridge if I do 3 A-Levels: Accounting, Business & Economics?
    Will I be accepted?

ReputationRep:
    For which course? My advice would be that you should have (and might well need) at least one or two of the traditional 'hard' subjects (as far as I know economics isn't one of these but I'm not certain).
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by emmanueldiamond)
    Will I be accepted?
    (Original post by Amanzhol)
    For which course? My advice would be that you should have (and might well need) at least one or two of the traditional 'hard' subjects (as far as I know economics isn't one of these but I'm not certain).
    As per the above, which course?

And tbh there's probably too much overlap between those three no matter which course it is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Why take three A-Levels that have such a strong overlap? You might decide in Y13 that you don't wanna study a business/economics related subject. I'd recommend Economics, Maths, and a science or humanities subject that you're interested in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rickyrossman)
    Why take three A-Levels that have such a strong overlap? You might decide in Y13 that you don't wanna study a business/economics related subject. I'd recommend Economics, Maths, and a science or humanities subject that you're interested in.
    I agree
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Will I be accepted?
    With those A-Levels: certainly not.

But even if you said "Will I be accepted" doing 4 subjects to A* standard each, there is no telling: GCSEs, entrance exams, interviews and personal statements are all relevant to the process and many applicants with good choice A-levels and good grades are rejected ever year.

ReputationRep:
    So what do you think is an ideal mix?

ReputationRep:
    Well, what do you want to study! Oxford and Camrbidge have dozens of undergraduate courses between them. You should choose a course, and then decide where you would like to study it, rather than choosing a university and deciding what you would like to study. The tutors would see right through it.

What school year are you in, out of interest?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    For what course?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    you can always calculate your chance of getting an offer using ucas lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Disregarded7017)
    you can always calculate your chance of getting an offer using ucas lol
    Sort of for some universities, but not for Oxbridge admissions really. Sure, it will give you the statistic of "Offers received: 15%" or whatever but that doesn't calculate it for any given person.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in Year 11 at the moment and they are what I'm thinking of doing at the moment but that's subject to change.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I'm in Year 11 at the moment and they are what I'm thinking of doing at the moment but that's subject to change.
    We know this, but what we don't know is which course(s) are you thinking of? Without an idea of that it is impossible to advise you on potential A-level choices.

So I'll ask again, which course interests you at Cambridge or Oxford?

ReputationRep:
    I've not looked yet, what courses are there?

ReputationRep:
    You want people to list every course available at both Cambridge and Oxford? If you're choosing your A Level courses, you should have some rough idea what you'd like to do at degree level, so go do your own research and then maybe people will be able to help.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    If you haven't looked at the courses why do you think Cambridge or Oxford are the right universities for you?

You can't decide upon your A-levels without thinking about what sort of course(s) might interest you at university.

For example, if you want to study Economics at Cambridge you will need Maths, plus Economics would be helpful. The 3rd A-level isn't so important.
    https://www.undergraduate.study.cam....rses/economics

If you want to study Economics and Management at Oxford you also need Maths A-level.
    https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/unde...agement?wssl=1

Neither offer an Accounting or "pure" Management course.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Unless of course, either this or your other thread is just trolling...

ReputationRep:
    I'm not going to do Sport anymore.
    Does that mean I have to definitely do Maths at A-Level if I want to do Economics at uni?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Does that mean I have to definitely do Maths at A-Level if I want to do Economics at uni?
    Yes for Oxbridge, and also at many other universities, but by no means all. The reason is that usually economics is a quantitive course and uses a fair bit of maths (e.g. statistics).

You need to do some more research on what might interest you at university, and the course entry requirements.

ReputationRep:
    Well I should hope not if you want to get into Oxbridge Economics! Ask yourself, is this really something you want to do? You seem a bit confused as to your future plans so I would suggest, before aiming for Oxbridge off the bat, you have a sit down and think to yourself what you really would like to do with your life, and what you enjoy studying. Then find out the subjects you would need to do achieve those goals.

Anyone can sit down and type in "jobs that make lots of money", see that economics is sometimes up there and decide "I shall study that then" but its not the way to do things.

Yes, for Oxbridge Economics you would need Maths and Further Maths, generally. For other universities it is dependent course to course and you would find out much more efficiently by consulting their course page entry requirements, rather than waiting days sometimes for someone to reply to a forum post.

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.