Turn on thread page Beta

TV reporter Dale Hansen's brutally honest opinion on school shootings watch

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I don't think he could have said it any better, at this point America's gun laws are an embarrassment.

ReputationRep:
    I love him!!!!!! I watched this already many times.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by FloralLuxe)
    I love him!!!!!! I watched this already many times.
    This is what America needs, brutally honest in your face realistic facts otherwise nothing will ever change. I don't know how someone can possibly support the current gun laws and keep a straight face.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ninja Squirrel)
    This is what America needs, brutally honest in your face realistic facts otherwise nothing will ever change. I don't know how someone can possibly support the current gun laws and keep a straight face.
    People know but they don’t want to do it. They need a better president. This might wake america tf up and vote for someone who cares.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FloralLuxe)
    People know but they don’t want to do it. They need a better president. This might wake america tf up and vote for someone who cares.
    Under the "better President" -- from a liberal perspective -- Obama, these shootings happened and these gun laws did not change. There is very little a President can do in the US; it is not like the PM here who can make radical changes to law almost at a whim. Their the President controls only the federal level of government, and that control is heavily fettered by a truly bicameral legislature (which he is not a part of) and a judiciary which can undo his executive acts and legislature's statutes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notoriety)
    Under the "better President" -- from a liberal perspective -- Obama, these shootings happened and these gun laws did not change. There is very little a President can do in the US; it is not like the PM here who can make radical changes to law almost at a whim. Their the President controls only the federal level of government, and that control is heavily fettered by a truly bicameral legislature (which he is not a part of) and a judiciary which can undo his executive acts and legislature's statutes.
    Both obama and donald trump had the power to do many things but one of them basically killed little kids and sent bombs and obv theres donald trump. They can make so much change

ReputationRep:
    Apart from as far as I understand Obama did try to change them by implementing stricter control on guns in the hands of people with mental health conditions... Something Trump signed a bill to undo within a month of being in office. Sure, what Obama did might not have changed much, but at least he did something positive, instead of screwing with the law just to get a pat on the back from the NRA.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  2D9D4610-68E4-4FE5-8389-A4F96B4ABFAC.jpeg
Views: 20
Size:  235.4 KB

It really f***ing sucks

ReputationRep:
    I don't think he could have said it any better, at this point America's gun laws are an embarrassment.

I agree with him on America needing to re-evaluate gun laws in wake of these mass shootings instead of simply praying, as that will effectively do nothing about the frequency of these attacks occurring. His little jabs at white guys were unnecessary, added nothing and wasn't really funny at all though.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by k.n.h.)
    I agree with him on America needing to re-evaluate gun laws in wake of these mass shootings instead of simply praying, as that will effectively do nothing about the frequency of these attacks occurring. His little jabs at white guys weren't really necessary, but that was insignificant compared to the rest of the video.
    Well he's not exactly wrong is he? We can't really deny the facts when they're presented to us.

Notice how Trump is perfectly ok with banning Muslims from certain countries from entering the U.S because they're deemed a threat but he won't make take similar precautions about who can buy a gun.

ReputationRep:
    Notice how Trump is perfectly ok with banning Muslims from certain countries from entering the U.S because they're deemed a threat but he won't make take similar precautions about who can buy a gun.
    I can agree on that :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Well he's not exactly wrong is he? We can't really deny the facts when they're presented to us.

He's a hypocrite. He'll degrade all sorts of people but when it comes to his own, he'll turn the other way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dheorl)
    Apart from as far as I understand Obama did try to change them by implementing stricter control on guns in the hands of people with mental health conditions... Something Trump signed a bill to undo within a month of being in office. Sure, what Obama did might not have changed much, but at least he did something positive, instead of screwing with the law just to get a pat on the back from the NRA.
    Well, it is a little more complicated than that. The gun law remained the same, i.e. the interstate selling of a firearm to a person one knew was mentally defective or had reasonable cause for knowing is illegal. The change you're talking about was Obama ordered the SSA to share the details with the NICS of people who are mentally defective, and are a danger to themselves/others or can't care for themselves.

You might say that this is a sensible sharing of information, but note that the interstate selling of firearms is illegal to "A person adjudicated mental defective or involuntarily committed to a mental institution or incompetent to handle own affairs, including dispositions to criminal charges of found not guilty by reason of insanity or found incompetent to stand trial." State and federal authorities already hold such information and share it with NICS. In essence, Obama's change was that people who had not been institutionalised or formally adjudicated mentally defective, i.e. people who are leading relatively normal lives, were nevertheless deemed federally prohibited from purchasing a firearm and exercising a constitutional right. The scope is quite broad.

Actual gun law change would be requiring background checks for intrastate sale of guns, creating a federal law which prohibits the sale of certain automatic weapons, or doing away with right to bear arms altogether. Obama and Trump are similar in their positions, in terms of action.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by euphrosyne)
    Name:  2D9D4610-68E4-4FE5-8389-A4F96B4ABFAC.jpeg
Views: 20
Size:  235.4 KB

It really f***ing sucks
    Damn I missed this post man that is the truth right there :lol:

I shouldn't actually be laughing cos it's pretty ****ing sad.

ReputationRep:
    Well, it is a little more complicated than that. The gun law remained the same, i.e. the interstate selling of a firearm to a person one knew was mentally defective or had reasonable cause for knowing is illegal. The change you're talking about was Obama ordered the SSA to share the details with the NICS of people who are mentally defective, and are a danger to themselves/others or can't care for themselves.

You might say that this is a sensible sharing of information, but note that the interstate selling of firearms is illegal to "A person adjudicated mental defective or involuntarily committed to a mental institution or incompetent to handle own affairs, including dispositions to criminal charges of found not guilty by reason of insanity or found incompetent to stand trial." State and federal authorities already hold such information and share it with NICS. In essence, Obama's change was that people who had not been institutionalised or formally adjudicated mentally defective, i.e. people who are leading relatively normal lives, were nevertheless deemed federally prohibited from purchasing a firearm and exercising a constitutional right. The scope is quite broad.

Actual gun law change would be requiring background checks for intrastate sale of guns, creating a federal law which prohibits the sale of certain automatic weapons, or doing away with right to bear arms altogether. Obama and Trump are similar in their positions, in terms of action.
    Ok, ok, I'm sorry I couldn't be bothered to write a mini essay on it. Thank you for being pedantic and doing it for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dheorl)
    Ok, ok, I'm sorry I couldn't be bothered to write a mini essay on it. Thank you for being pedantic and doing it for me.
    Any time.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 17, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.