Turn on thread page Beta

Worrying call from GP surgery? watch

Hi, i'm 17 years old and i occasionally smoke. About a 2 weeks ago, i had a regular blood test in the hospital due to an illness i have. When the doctor asked, i said i don't smoke as i hadn't smoked in like a forntnight before that. Yesterday, my local GP surgery called in and asked for me.I was at school at the time and so my dad picked up. When he asked why they had called, they said they couldn't tell him due to patient confidentiality. Should I be worried? I'm getting really paranoid and i've decided to stop smoking altogether anyway like a week ago.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    You said you don't smoke when you do. Don't lie to doctors, it won't be good for you.

Anyway, if you had the blood test for an illness they probably found something relating to that.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi, i'm 17 years old and i occasionally smoke. About a 2 weeks ago, i had a regular blood test in the hospital due to an illness i have. When the doctor asked, i said i don't smoke as i hadn't smoked in like a forntnight before that. Yesterday, my local GP surgery called in and asked for me.I was at school at the time and so my dad picked up. When he asked why they had called, they said they couldn't tell him due to patient confidentiality. Should I be worried? I'm getting really paranoid and i've decided to stop smoking altogether anyway like a week ago.

ReputationRep:
    Is most likely nothing too serious since you’re 17 although we don’t know your medical history. Just phone them up as soon as possible and don’t stress about it. Good thing you stopped smoking keep it up.

Unlikely to be related to the smoking lol.

It could be about anything. I wouldn't worry unnecessarily.

(Original post by DrawTheLine)
    You said you don't smoke when you do. Don't lie to doctors, it won't be good for you.

Anyway, if you had the blood test for an illness they probably found something relating to that.
    I was put on the spot and my parents were there. Nevertheless, i shall not from now on. And I read somewhere you can only find nicotine if you look for it specifically?

Unlikely to be related to the smoking lol.

It could be about anything. I wouldn't worry unnecessarily.
    Yes i think that too but what makes you so sure?

(Original post by storm95)
    Is most likely nothing too serious since you’re 17 although we don’t know your medical history. Just phone them up as soon as possible and don’t stress about it. Good thing you stopped smoking keep it up.
    Thank you!

Yes i think that too but what makes you so sure?
    Blood tests aren't done for smoking detection lol. Some occasional smoking at the age of 17 isn't going to give you any diseases right now.

What blood test did you have done in hospital? What illness do you have that you were in hospital for?

(Some background info will enable make to make a better judgement.)

Obviously the phone call could be about anything. Phone the GP surgery yourself to find out.

Blood tests aren't done for smoking detection lol. Some occasional smoking at the age of 17 isn't going to give you any diseases right now.

What blood test did you have done in hospital? What illness do you have that you were in hospital for?

(Some background info will enable make to make a better judgement.)

Obviously the phone call could be about anything. Phone the GP surgery yourself to find out.
    I have Ulcerative colitis and have been living with a stoma bag for 3 years now. I'm having a flare up right now and the doctor checked for Hb count and inflammatory markers. It just seems strange to me for them to call after 2 weeks of initially having the blood test
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Probably just to give you the results. Could even be to say they're totally normal.
    Try to be fully honest with your doctors though so they can help you better. If they ask "do you smoke" include if you have recently just like I'd they asked "do you have a rash" and you don't right now, but did yesterday. It's still relevant information to them.
    You might like to go to the doctors by yourself now that you're older so you can be more open without worrying about what your parents will hear.

Just call back whenever you can and try not to worry until then. No use speculating when you can find out tomorrow morning.

btw I very much doubt the smoking is going to matter here, but stopping is still a good idea so good for you.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 17, 2018
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.