Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    it seems that the rest of the uk doesnt give a **** about the fact that northern ireland hasnt had an acting government in over a year.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I'm interested, but I don't think there's realistically anything that anyone, besides the people of Northern Ireland and the political parties they elected to represent them, can do about it. It's a rubbish state of affairs, but ultimately powersharing has always been fragile.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Big_man_conor)
    it seems that the rest of the uk doesnt give a **** about the fact that northern ireland hasnt had an acting government in over a year.
    Whatd you suggest the rest of the UK could or should do?

I don't think it's a lack of caring, but a lack of understanding.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Whatd you suggest the rest of the UK could or should do?

I don't think it's a lack of caring, but a lack of understanding.
    fair enough. i dont think the uk gov should do any thing if fact the should really stay out of it. my solution would be to give parties other the the DUP and SF a say in the deal making

ReputationRep:
    It would be interesting except N Irish politics seems to be made up of adults with a mental age of 7 arguing the toss over issues that no one outside of the political goldfish bowl gives a flying f*** about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    It would be interesting except N Irish politics seems to be made up of adults with a mental age of 7 arguing the toss over issues that no one outside of the political goldfish bowl gives a flying f*** about.
    Haha, very true. I actually think the politicians of NI have declined in quality quite a bit lately. When you had David Trimble and John Hume leading the charge, things were good; when Ian Paisley was working with Martin McGuinness it was at least clear that there were two men who'd put the past behind them and were working together. Today Arlene Foster, Michelle O'Neill, Ian Paisley Jr and so on are all fairly woeful.

It's pretty telling that one of the big issues is the continuing nonsense over the Irish language. In Wales, for example, the language issue is not one of divisive partisanship: it's just considered part of the local heritage. The invention by the Unionist side in NI of "Ulster Scots" as a rival just looks silly from my perspective. In Scotland, people going trying to resurrect Scots just look a bit daft: in NI, the posturing over something similar just looks ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    It's pretty telling that one of the big issues is the continuing nonsense over the Irish language. In Wales, for example, the language issue is not one of divisive partisanship: it's just considered part of the local heritage. The invention by the Unionist side in NI of "Ulster Scots" as a rival just looks silly from my perspective. In Scotland, people going trying to resurrect Scots just look a bit daft: in NI, the posturing over something similar just looks ridiculous.
    Agreed. Meanwhile, people of NI are speakin / using whatever language suits them. Same with abortion. People in NI are still having abortions. Its just that politicians make it really hard for them.

ReputationRep:
    There’s nothing the UK can do, they get involved too much Sein Feinn vilify them. Karen Bradley (and James Brokenshire before her) are going all they can. But at the end of the day, they can’t solve a children’s spat.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh as a Londoner it just seems so complicated and there's so much history that you need to know to get a good understanding of it. I'm someone who's really into politics and keeps track of almost everything going on in Westminster and locally but since the NI stuff seems so complicated and doesn't directly affect me, I don't bother. I know that's bad but it's just the way it is lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Haha, very true. I actually think the politicians of NI have declined in quality quite a bit lately. When you had David Trimble and John Hume leading the charge, things were good; when Ian Paisley was working with Martin McGuinness it was at least clear that there were two men who'd put the past behind them and were working together. Today Arlene Foster, Michelle O'Neill, Ian Paisley Jr and so on are all fairly woeful.

Ha ha no, the welsh language thing is pretty partisan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    Ha ha no, the welsh language thing is pretty partisan.
    But it's not some totem of the Welsh nationalist movement (such as it is) surely? The Conservatives, Lib Dems and Labour don't have a problem with it and have all proposed measures to protect it. That said, I have no idea what UKIP's view on this is (and very little inclination to find out).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    But it's not some totem of the Welsh nationalist movement (such as it is) surely?
    Almost certainly.

[/quote]
    The Conservatives, Lib Dems and Labour don't have a problem with it and have all proposed measures to protect it..[/QUOTE]

It’s another brand of identity and grievance politics for labour to exploit.

I suspect the Tories don’t care.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Big_man_conor)
    I care as much as the area needs governance.

Personally I don’t believe devolution is a good thing I’d rather it be ruled by Westminster or preferably a referendum on independence

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.