Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    So I'm a vet applicant and I've been offered places at both RVC and Surrey so far (still waiting to hear from Edinburgh!), and I'm basically really struggling to decide which one to put as my firm. They were my 2 favourite unis post going to all the open days so I'm really torn, and I can genuinely imagine myself studying at either!
    I was wondering if anyone has any information or insight that could make my decision-making process a bit easier?
    Has anyone been in a similar situation and how did they end up deciding?
    Any current RVC or Surrey students with some words of wisdom for me?
    Thanks in advance for your help 😂

ReputationRep:
    RVC. You won't regret it. I graduated 3 years ago and am now fed up with being a vet and ready to pursue other ambitions, but I definitely will never regret going to the RVC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ouchthathurts)
    RVC. You won't regret it. I graduated 3 years ago and am now fed up with being a vet and ready to pursue other ambitions, but I definitely will never regret going to the RVC.
    Wow, thanks for replying so quickly! What was it about RVC that you loved so much??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemmanog)
    Wow, thanks for replying so quickly! What was it about RVC that you loved so much??
    There's a lot of history and tradition there, it's small enough that you feel part of a proper community and know people across spread of years and courses, but has enough students in each year that you can very easily avoid the people you want to. Also living in London is great fun, expensive but definitely worth it, I doubt I'd live there again but I had a fantastic time there. There's so much to do and everything is so easily accessible. OK Surrey isn't far away but in the first two years at the RVC you're right there already, can pretty much walk to most places if you want and in the last three years it's a 16(I think) minute train ride from Potters Bar to Kings X which costs about £4 return or something silly like that.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't mind me asking, why did you become fed up with being a vet?

ReputationRep:
    There's a lot of history and tradition there, it's small enough that you feel part of a proper community and know people across spread of years and courses, but has enough students in each year that you can very easily avoid the people you want to. Also living in London is great fun, expensive but definitely worth it, I doubt I'd live there again but I had a fantastic time there. There's so much to do and everything is so easily accessible. OK Surrey isn't far away but in the first two years at the RVC you're right there already, can pretty much walk to most places if you want and in the last three years it's a 16(I think) minute train ride from Potters Bar to Kings X which costs about £4 return or something silly like that.
    Ooh thanks for the insight. I really like the idea of living in London to be honest! I've heard there are issues with parking on the Hertfordshire campus- is that right? Also is it strange that pretty much every person in the uni is vet or is it ok?
    Thanks so much again for the help!

ReputationRep:
    Its part of the uni of london i think so you meet non vetty people through societies and socials so it wont feel weird.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 6573282)
    If you don't mind me asking, why did you become fed up with being a vet?

More stress than it’s worth. Fed up of people. Fed up the struggle to put principles ahead of making money. Fed up of how every single pug I see is according to the owner the one and only exception when it comes to bracychephalic problems. Fed up of the grief we get from the public for euthanising strays that really are suffering. Fed up of owners bringing animals in that have been suffering long term and they’re oblivious to it and refuse to do anything about it, or ignore your advice because they know best.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 19, 2018
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.