Turn on thread page Beta

how should i be revising for my GCSEs? watch

ReputationRep:
    hiya,

so, i'm having a bit of a dilemma: i don't really know how to revise for my GCSEs.
    i just had my final set of mocks, and these were my grades:

-maths: 6
    -english: 7
    -physics: 5
    -biology: 7
    -chemistry: 7
    -geography: 6
    -spanish: 4 (grade boundaries are set incredibly high)
    -sociology: A

for theses mocks (and every other set of mocks i've ever had), i only revised the night before.
    for sciences, i read my CGP revision guides the night before.
    for maths, i just went over some of the topics my teacher told us to revise (probably not the best idea telling us what topics were on the test).
    for english, i revised some themes/quotes the night before, for my literature exams, and didn't do much for language.
    for geography and sociology, i just read through some old notes.
    for spanish, i just learned some vocabulary, and went through the tenses.

my question is: what do i do to revise for the real exams? i have no idea where to start- i don't know whether i should make notes (there's probably no time for that, anyway), or do practice papers, or memorise things.

i am genuniely so confused- i really, really want to do well in the real exams, but i just don't know what i should be doing to revise for them.

thank you so, so much for any replies- it is very much appreciated xx

ReputationRep:
    what exam board are you doing sciences?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gent2324)
    what exam board are you doing sciences?
    AQA x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lanababe78)
    AQA x
    alright well im doing ocr and the cgp books have no where near enough detail than the textbooks, it misses out defintions etc for all the sciences especially biology. I cant for say for definite but i would advise you use the textbook for notes and the cgp book for quick revision or whatever if you want a 7+

ReputationRep:
    alright well im doing ocr and the cgp books have no where near enough detail than the textbooks, it misses out defintions etc for all the sciences especially biology. I cant for say for definite but i would advise you use the textbook for notes and the cgp book for quick revision or whatever if you want a 7+
    oh, okay, i will try and do so. thank you so much for replying x

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    There is time for notes. If you feel there isn't, then try and make quick ones or very condensed ones - at least you'll be covering the material. Look over previous notes if you have any.

For Spanish if you aren't too serious about it and don't want to take it on, you should just memorise phrases for your reading. Also do vocab learning on Quizlet (there will be sets for all the vocab you need to know already made)

Agreed for science revision this is what you should do. Try and memorise definitions for biology as you can get easy marks from this, and DEFINITELY 100% DO PAST PAPERS!!!!!

For maths do practice papers, practice questions on Corbett maths or Hegarty maths - try and actually actively do practice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mundosinfin)
    There is time for notes. If you feel there isn't, then try and make quick ones or very condensed ones - at least you'll be covering the material. Look over previous notes if you have any.

For Spanish if you aren't too serious about it and don't want to take it on, you should just memorise phrases for your reading. Also do vocab learning on Quizlet (there will be sets for all the vocab you need to know already made)

Agreed for science revision this is what you should do. Try and memorise definitions for biology as you can get easy marks from this, and DEFINITELY 100% DO PAST PAPERS!!!!!

For maths do practice papers, practice questions on Corbett maths or Hegarty maths - try and actually actively do practice.
    thank you so much for this! you have really helped, and i will definitely try to act on your advice!
    thank you so much, again x

ReputationRep:
    hiya,

so, i'm having a bit of a dilemma: i don't really know how to revise for my GCSEs.
    i just had my final set of mocks, and these were my grades:

-maths: 6
    -english: 7
    -physics: 5
    -biology: 7
    -chemistry: 7
    -geography: 6
    -spanish: 4 (grade boundaries are set incredibly high)
    -sociology: A

for theses mocks (and every other set of mocks i've ever had), i only revised the night before.
    for sciences, i read my CGP revision guides the night before.
    for maths, i just went over some of the topics my teacher told us to revise (probably not the best idea telling us what topics were on the test).
    for english, i revised some themes/quotes the night before, for my literature exams, and didn't do much for language.
    for geography and sociology, i just read through some old notes.
    for spanish, i just learned some vocabulary, and went through the tenses.

my question is: what do i do to revise for the real exams? i have no idea where to start- i don't know whether i should make notes (there's probably no time for that, anyway), or do practice papers, or memorise things.

i am genuniely so confused- i really, really want to do well in the real exams, but i just don't know what i should be doing to revise for them.

thank you so, so much for any replies- it is very much appreciated xx
    sounds a lot like where I was at this time last year (but we had tons of coursework because of the old spec, yikes). I didn't study at all, and still don't since it isn't really my style.

For science, make sure you use the specifications. Although I spent a ton of money on CGP workbooks and revision guides, I didn't really touch them. All I used was the spec, and if i needed to, occasionally referred to textbooks. Print a copy out, and tick off each point you know. I used to scribble notes while doing this too, just to help me remember, and write stuff I forgot frequently on the back of my notebook. (mind you this was stupidly done literally the day before each exam, and standing in line to go into the exam I'd quickly run over the points I had written on my book smh)

Practise papers are great. Personally, I believe they're most useful after the spec. I would suggest keeping one set of papers for each subject to do the week before your real exam, but, provided you've finished covering the syllabus at school, use others. Solve as many as you can. Especially for maths and science.

I can't help with the other subjects since I did legit no work for English and didn't choose the other subjects.

And don't forget, it really, really isn't too late. Me and a lot of my friends only started studying in May, the month of the exams (don't do this though lmao). Also, for this stage in time, most of your grades are great too (dammit spanish).

One last thing, don't slack off in subjects you think you're good at. I got a 9 in english and A* in history and humanities for in my mocks, so didn't work at all for the real exam. I turned out with a 6 in language, and A in history and humanities, unlike my predicted 9 and A*s . likewise, if you think you aren't doing great at a particular subject at the moment, don't stop trying. I got a B and D in physics and art respectively in my january mocks, but got A*s in both in the actual exam because I put in just a little extra effort.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pseudoglue)
    sounds a lot like where I was at this time last year (but we had tons of coursework because of the old spec, yikes). I didn't study at all, and still don't since it isn't really my style.

For science, make sure you use the specifications. Although I spent a ton of money on CGP workbooks and revision guides, I didn't really touch them. All I used was the spec, and if i needed to, occasionally referred to textbooks. Print a copy out, and tick off each point you know. I used to scribble notes while doing this too, just to help me remember, and write stuff I forgot frequently on the back of my notebook. (mind you this was stupidly done literally the day before each exam, and standing in line to go into the exam I'd quickly run over the points I had written on my book smh)

Practise papers are great. Personally, I believe they're most useful after the spec. I would suggest keeping one set of papers for each subject to do the week before your real exam, but, provided you've finished covering the syllabus at school, use others. Solve as many as you can. Especially for maths and science.

I can't help with the other subjects since I did legit no work for English and didn't choose the other subjects.

And don't forget, it really, really isn't too late. Me and a lot of my friends only started studying in May, the month of the exams (don't do this though lmao). Also, for this stage in time, most of your grades are great too (dammit spanish).

One last thing, don't slack off in subjects you think you're good at. I got a 9 in english and A* in history and humanities for in my mocks, so didn't work at all for the real exam. I turned out with a 6 in language, and A in history and humanities, unlike my predicted 9 and A*s . likewise, if you think you aren't doing great at a particular subject at the moment, don't stop trying. I got a B and D in physics and art respectively in my january mocks, but got A*s in both in the actual exam because I put in just a little extra effort.
    oh my gosh, thank you so much for this!!
    you aknowledged everything i am confused about- thank you so much!
    also, you have decreased my anxiety slightly, about the fact that i am only just srating revision; your grades are amazing, well done!
    i will definitely try to take on board all of your advice- thank you so much, again, for the help; it is much appreciated! x

ReputationRep:
    oh my gosh, thank you so much for this!!
    you aknowledged everything i am confused about- thank you so much!
    also, you have decreased my anxiety slightly, about the fact that i am only just srating revision; your grades are amazing, well done!
    i will definitely try to take on board all of your advice- thank you so much, again, for the help; it is much appreciated! x
    You're welcome! Let me know if you want anything else in particular, there's so much more I could say that I could probably write an entire book lol.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.