Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I'm 16 and I might be losing my virginity soon. To be careful I want to get condoms ahead of time. I'm incredibly awkward so buying them sounds really difficult for me. I've heard I can get them in the bathroom of a local supermarket but I'm afraid somebody might see me buying them and that it'd be really awkward. I don't know how much they cost or where my local sex clinic is to pick them up for free.

Does anybody have any advice?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm 16 and I might be losing my virginity soon. To be careful I want to get condoms ahead of time. I'm incredibly awkward so buying them sounds really difficult for me. I've heard I can get them in the bathroom of a local supermarket but I'm afraid somebody might see me buying them and that it'd be really awkward. I don't know how much they cost or where my local sex clinic is to pick them up for free.

I'm sure you've heard this before, but part of being ready to have sex is being responsible enough to be able to do it safely, which means being able to get contraception. I know it's so easy to build it up in your head, but honestly it's not a big deal. No one cares if you're buying them. Coudl you buy them at a supermarket and use self service tills? If you want to get them for free, you can look into the services that do that around you here: https://www.nhs.uk/Service-Search/Fr...tionSearch/732. I wouldn't recommend getting them from public bathrooms unless you absolutely have to because they're very expensive. If you want to know how much they'd cost from a supermarket or chain chemist, check their website
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers

nhs choices will show you where your nearest sexual health clinic is. Buying them isn't difficult at all, if you're worried then you can use a self service checkout to buy them. If someone did see you buying them then all they know is you're above the age of consent and intend to protect yourself from sti's so that's not really something to judge someone for.

(Original post by chelseadagg3r)
    I'm sure you've heard this before, but part of being ready to have sex is being responsible enough to be able to do it safely, which means being able to get contraception. I know it's so easy to build it up in your head, but honestly it's not a big deal. No one cares if you're buying them. Coudl you buy them at a supermarket and use self service tills? If you want to get them for free, you can look into the services that do that around you here: https://www.nhs.uk/Service-Search/Fr...tionSearch/732. I wouldn't recommend getting them from public bathrooms unless you absolutely have to because they're very expensive. If you want to know how much they'd cost from a supermarket or chain chemist, check their website
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    nhs choices will show you where your nearest sexual health clinic is. Buying them isn't difficult at all, if you're worried then you can use a self service checkout to buy them. If someone did see you buying them then all they know is you're above the age of consent and intend to protect yourself from sti's so that's not really something to judge someone for.
    Thanks for the replies, I've found somewhere close, I'll go pick some up tomorrow. I'm gonna try and build up my courage until then, still nervous to ask.

ReputationRep:
    Head to a local super market. Get a packet of condoms, cereal box and some other stuff. Go self check out, scan your stuff and just hide the condom box after scanning it so it's not in view. Walk out. There you go.

ReputationRep:

Order online? Condoms aren't age checked except sometimes for large packs. So ordering from Amazon to an Amazon locker should be totally fine.

Otherwise just pick up some in store. Go to a specific checkout, no one cares that you're buying condoms

ReputationRep:

Don't worry, just go to a supermarket or pharmacy and buy one. Ask them if you can't find it. Just buy it and keep it in your pocket until you get home. Nothing to be embarrassed about

ReputationRep:
    go to a Boots, pick up a bunch of stuff including condoms and go to a self-checkout. Easy

ReputationRep:

this may sound a little weird, but i am a 17 year old girl. when i lost my virginity, i supplied the condom. i have to admit that buying it was a little difficult, because i didn't want anyone to see me. i finally got the nerve to got to a gas station and buy one from the counter. while i was there, i realized that i will more tan likely never see that person behind the counter again, so then i walked out with pride.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    You can order them online.

Do what some teenagers (aka me) do when they buy pads - buy other things like a magazine, cereal box or whatever and hide the condoms in your basket. Then go to self checkout and quickly scan them and put them in your bag.

ReputationRep:
    Its not like you are ever going to see the checkout people ever again.

ReputationRep:

Because ur only 16 u could get them for free at ur local pharmacy if u ask them. But if u still feel a lil awkward asking u could just say theyre no for u

ReputationRep:
    There's really no reason to feel awkward - the checkout person probably won't even notice/care!

ReputationRep:
    Be proud that you won't be having a kid or getting a nasty infection at 16.

Brook give out free condoms, check if there's one in your area:
    https://www.brook.org.uk

ReputationRep:
    If you're too immature to buy condoms then you're probably too immature to be having sex

ReputationRep:
    Self service checkouts at the supermarket will do. Condoms are normally in an aisle with medications and such like, which is usually a pretty empty one anyway. If you wanna make it less obvious once you hit the till just buy some snacks before you grab em. People won't look close enough at any one individual item you're buying if you've got a few things to hand.

That said, checkout people seem so in the zone they barely ever pay attention to what you've actually bought unless you've bought something that requires them to do something else, like loose apples they gotta weigh or some ****. You're also quite likely to never see anybody in that shop ever again.Anybody that sees you with em is just gonna think "wew dat boi getting laid" anyway, and that isn't so bad.

In conclusion: Seriously, chill.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Yeah, seriously, no one cares.

If you go to the till and buy condoms, they're not going to look at you and go "dude, I wouldn't bother, your face is all it's going to take to stop a girl getting pregnant" they will literally do their job, and tell you how much they are and take your money.

Believe it or not, most of those people probably have had sex at some point, so know that people need to buy these things.

If you're that bothered, buy a larger pack the first time so you don't have to go multiple times.

ReputationRep:
    Get some from the toilet vending machine.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 21, 2018
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.