Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can someone give me some arguments for austerity, for an essay I'm writing for my a level politics. I've got plenty of arguments against, but wanted a few more for. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Expand on the fact that there’s less social expenditure - higher investment for future etc. I guess?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    That the idea spending billions more than we earn is obviously in no way "austere" might be a start.

That every serious political figure after the 2008 recession agreed that the deficit had to fall and the suggestion of growing ourselves out of it, after a big bloody recession, seems a bit of a hostage to fortune at best.

That we spend billions of pounds a year servicing debt interest already.

That spending today will have to be paid back tomorrow, deepening the intergenerational divide in this country and shifting responsibility to the next generation.

That the state is already too big.

That much of the spending on things like welfare could very easily be said to actually damage economic growth and entrap people in a cycle of poverty.

That most "anti-austerity" types, despite suggesting continuing high spending is economically positive, do not actually seek to spend to invest in infrastructure, innovation or anything that will have positive economic effects in the future, but rather pour yet more money into current spending.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    That the idea spending billions more than we earn is obviously in no way "austere" might be a start.

That every serious political figure after the 2008 recession agreed that the deficit had to fall and the suggestion of growing ourselves out of it, after a big bloody recession, seems a bit of a hostage to fortune at best.

That we spend billions of pounds a year servicing debt interest already.

That spending today will have to be paid back tomorrow, deepening the intergenerational divide in this country and shifting responsibility to the next generation.

That the state is already too big.

That much of the spending on things like welfare could very easily be said to actually damage economic growth and entrap people in a cycle of poverty.

That most "anti-austerity" types, despite suggesting continuing high spending is economically positive, do not actually seek to spend to invest in infrastructure, innovation or anything that will have positive economic effects in the future, but rather pour yet more money into current spending.
    Pretty much this.

The argument put forward by the more honest left wingers such as Yaris Varoufakis is not that there is austerity, which is a political myth but rather that the government is perpetuating ‘Class War’ - which you can make your own assumptions about.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.