Turn on thread page Beta

glasses watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    ok so basically in school my teacher was using the projecter and she put up 2 pages...one was the mark scheme and one was the questions. the writing was smaller(as there were 2 pages) and I was finding it difficult to read. (my friends were fine tho)I went to the opticians today and they said im short sited. im so confused... because its only writing that is far and small that I find hard to see. objects are completely fine. over the years will objects go blurry too? my optician said my eye sight will get worse as I get older. im 16 now and im also so worried that what if in the future I have to wear glasses all the time because now its just when I cant see the board. also im worried that what if it will cause marriage problems in the future like a guy wont want someone with glasses. worst thing is that ik that I messed up my eyes throughout the years as I would lways read in the dark and be on my phone in the dark. im feeling so downhearted. any advice or reasuurance would be great....

ReputationRep:
    You're way too self-conscious. Why do you care so much about what people think of you? If you're that fussed as you grow up wear contacts or even invest in some surgery.

Also glasses make your IQ go up so...
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by R.Lunat)
    ok so basically in school my teacher was using the projecter and she put up 2 pages...one was the mark scheme and one was the questions. the writing was smaller(as there were 2 pages) and I was finding it difficult to read. (my friends were fine tho)I went to the opticians today and they said im short sited. im so confused... because its only writing that is far and small that I find hard to see. objects are completely fine. over the years will objects go blurry too? my optician said my eye sight will get worse as I get older. im 16 now and im also so worried that what if in the future I have to wear glasses all the time because now its just when I cant see the board. also im worried that what if it will cause marriage problems in the future like a guy wont want someone with glasses. worst thing is that ik that I messed up my eyes throughout the years as I would lways read in the dark and be on my phone in the dark. im feeling so downhearted. any advice or reasuurance would be great....
    Why on earth would wearing glasses cause marriage problems?

ReputationRep:
    Contact lenses?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Seems you only have mild short sight. It may get a bit worse with time but I don't think you'll be lost without sight correction. As to glasses, they can be fashion accessories, don't you know. For me the worse issue is that they're bloody uncomfortable after a while. But contact lenses are a revolution! Normal sight with very little hassle. I'm sure you'll find a marriage partner.

ReputationRep:
    I had exactly the same thing. Essentially you will only really notice your short-sight issues with reading at the moment because it sounds very acute. The reason objects are 'fine' is because you don't need nearly as much definition to make them out so you assume they're unchanged. I thought the same thing when I had this (coincidentally also at 16). However I would recommend getting glasses and you'll notice the difference drastically. If glasses are really a problem then contact lenses are always an option. It's likely your eyesight will get worse over the next few years (mine is currently getting worse). HOWEVER, it's far better to use glasses and not squint at things, because then you won't get get lots of lines around your eyes. This may all sound grim, but the reality is it's actually really common to be short-sighted when you're young because you're growing and the eyes can be affected as a result often resulting in being short sighted. When you get older though the opposite tends to happen and lots of people get long-sighted (so that's why old people always use magnifying glasses lol). So I wouldn't be surprised that by your mid 20's onward your eyesight will be just fine. Don't feel worried about the glasses look though - if you choose the right pair it can really enhance your features so go along with someone to make your choice. If it's any consolation I quite like girls with glasses, but that's just my opinion. Don't feel bad about 'messing up your eyes' - It can be down to so many reasons (for me it was mainly because I grew 4 inches in just over a year).

This is mostly written from personal experience as well as information I've got from opticians since I started wearing glasses. I would really recommend thinking soon about glasses though - they are SOOO useful for exams when trying to look at the start/finish times or the clock etc. I got mine half way through my GCSE's and they were a life saver.

ReputationRep:
    Get over yourself. You realise some people are told they have to wear a colostomy bag or inject themselves with medication every single day for the rest of their lives. So you have to wear glasses big deal, contact lenses are a thing you know.

Also if someone doesn’t want to marry you because you have glasses then they probably aren’t worth marrying.

First world problems or WHAT?!
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by del1rious)
    Get over yourself. You realise some people are told they have to wear a colostomy bag or inject themselves with medication every single day for the rest of their lives. So you have to wear glasses big deal, contact lenses are a thing you know.

Also if someone doesn’t want to marry you because you have glasses then they probably aren’t worth marrying.

First world problems or WHAT?!
    Exactly. I would love it if glasses actually did something helpful for me. And I also face the prospect of not knowing how much vision (or colour vision) I'll have when I'm older.

Some people don't realise how lucky they really are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobeth)
    I had exactly the same thing. Essentially you will only really notice your short-sight issues with reading at the moment because it sounds very acute. The reason objects are 'fine' is because you don't need nearly as much definition to make them out so you assume they're unchanged. I thought the same thing when I had this (coincidentally also at 16). However I would recommend getting glasses and you'll notice the difference drastically. If glasses are really a problem then contact lenses are always an option. It's likely your eyesight will get worse over the next few years (mine is currently getting worse). HOWEVER, it's far better to use glasses and not squint at things, because then you won't get get lots of lines around your eyes. This may all sound grim, but the reality is it's actually really common to be short-sighted when you're young because you're growing and the eyes can be affected as a result often resulting in being short sighted. When you get older though the opposite tends to happen and lots of people get long-sighted (so that's why old people always use magnifying glasses lol). So I wouldn't be surprised that by your mid 20's onward your eyesight will be just fine. Don't feel worried about the glasses look though - if you choose the right pair it can really enhance your features so go along with someone to make your choice. If it's any consolation I quite like girls with glasses, but that's just my opinion. Don't feel bad about 'messing up your eyes' - It can be down to so many reasons (for me it was mainly because I grew 4 inches in just over a year).

This is mostly written from personal experience as well as information I've got from opticians since I started wearing glasses. I would really recommend thinking soon about glasses though - they are SOOO useful for exams when trying to look at the start/finish times or the clock etc. I got mine half way through my GCSE's and they were a life saver.
    ok thanks..it helps a lot knowing someone went through the exact same experience. I was wondering tho...my optician told me that I can wear them when I want to see the board if im finding it hard. that would mean not wearing it all the time. but wouldn't that increase the chances of them getting worse? or would wearing them all the time without need make it worse too? im also sitting my gcses this year so yh. im in the same position.(as you were once)

ReputationRep:
    ok thanks..it helps a lot knowing someone went through the exact same experience. I was wondering tho...my optician told me that I can wear them when I want to see the board if im finding it hard. that would mean not wearing it all the time. but wouldn't that increase the chances of them getting worse? or would wearing them all the time without need make it worse too? im also sitting my gcses this year so yh. im in the same position.(as you were once)
    To be honest your eyes will do whatever the heck they want. Wearing glasses/not wearing glasses doesn't make any difference at all with whether they get worse. Using them for the board is what I do (still actually - I'm in last year of A-Levels). I tend to leave them on for the day then take them off when I'm home. It's whatever you feel comfortable with - there aren't really any repercussions.

Good luck with your GCSE's!

ReputationRep:
    I wear glasses, I have to all the time (I am short sighted). Many people wear glasses so marriage will not be an issue with glasses to be honest. In fact I find glasses rather attractive.

ReputationRep:
    I got glasses at about your age and for exactly the same reason! I literally only wore them when I wanted to see the projector, in exams and for learning to drive until my second year of university when I gave up and wore them all the time at work!

The way you have to think of it is you look at friends with glasses and they look weird with them off, don’t they? It just become part of you. And like has already been said, if someone won’t marry you for your glasses then they’re definitely not marriage material!

Also if you decide to wear glasses all the time or feel you’ve become dependent on them, you will be able to use contact lenses and nobody will know you wear glasses except you and those you reveal it to. I bet some of your friends wear contact lenses every day and you don’t even realise they have a prescription!

Yes it’s a scary and sometimes expensive world, but probably around half the population owns a pair of prescription glasses.

Also Insta famous people buy glasses with no prescription just for the fashion aspect. Choose some frames you like and you might feel more fabulous wearing them than without! Personally they make me feel like my nose looks a lot smaller, which I like! I feel weird without glasses on now. But I do choose to wear contacts occasionally because I love doing wacky eye makeup every now and again and the frames hide it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobeth)
    To be honest your eyes will do whatever the heck they want. Wearing glasses/not wearing glasses doesn't make any difference at all with whether they get worse. Using them for the board is what I do (still actually - I'm in last year of A-Levels). I tend to leave them on for the day then take them off when I'm home. It's whatever you feel comfortable with - there aren't really any repercussions.

Good luck with your GCSE's!
    Okayyy thanks ;D
    Good Luck with your A-levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carrotstar)
    I got glasses at about your age and for exactly the same reason! I literally only wore them when I wanted to see the projector, in exams and for learning to drive until my second year of university when I gave up and wore them all the time at work!

The way you have to think of it is you look at friends with glasses and they look weird with them off, don’t they? It just become part of you. And like has already been said, if someone won’t marry you for your glasses then they’re definitely not marriage material!

Also if you decide to wear glasses all the time or feel you’ve become dependent on them, you will be able to use contact lenses and nobody will know you wear glasses except you and those you reveal it to. I bet some of your friends wear contact lenses every day and you don’t even realise they have a prescription!

Yes it’s a scary and sometimes expensive world, but probably around half the population owns a pair of prescription glasses.

Also Insta famous people buy glasses with no prescription just for the fashion aspect. Choose some frames you like and you might feel more fabulous wearing them than without! Personally they make me feel like my nose looks a lot smaller, which I like! I feel weird without glasses on now. But I do choose to wear contacts occasionally because I love doing wacky eye makeup every now and again and the frames hide it.
    AWW thanks for sharing your experience...helps a lot

ReputationRep:
    Okayyy thanks ;D
    Good Luck with your A-levels.
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    What the hell..look in 18 and my eyesight has been getting worse since I was in year 7 and even now its still changing but its not that bad and not the end of the world. And most guys I know find it hot when girls wear glasses. Not that you should feel some kind of validation by the opinions of men but honestly they really don't care that much. And if you don't like then then just get contacts. As long as you are aware of how to use contacts you're fine. Don't overthink so much about marriage you're only 16.

ReputationRep:
    Take an Eye supplement that has Lutein in it

ReputationRep:
    Wearing glasses ONLY when yo need to is the best choice, you are not squinting yet you are not over-correcting yourself most (if not all)of the time.

Eyesight is more likely to get worse if you squint to see or if you are using glasses when you aren't meant too. If you are wearing glasses only when needed your eyesight may even get better, especially when you work on your habits and do some exercises.

I started with a very mild prescription at 13, when I was 16-17 it already got so bad I couldn't see from the closest place in class. Later it got even worse. My highest prescription was -3.75 with cylinder of -1.5 or even -1.75. Now about 4 years later it's better at -2.50 and -1.25 cylinder.

A for the marriege thing.... I doubt you'd be interested in someone who doesn't find one worthy because of poor eyesight.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 20, 2018
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.