Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ima cut straight to the point, i have a problem. Basically my mental health has been a struggle for 2 years, and in the past 6 ish months its gotten worse. I've had counselling and high intensity CBT but neither seemed to work, so now im at the point where my CAMHS referral was rejected because they wouldn't be able to do much because im nearly 18, so now im waiting till the middle of march for an assessment appt with iapt, and will probably have to wait another 5 weeks after that to start treatment. i think i have moderate-severe depression, and im not counting on therapy working when it hasnt in the past.

my grades are starting to suffer and i should be revising for my a-levels, but i feel like i cant. I've recieved some incredible offers, and if i wasn't suffering so much then id have enough faith in myself to put down my AAA or AAB offer, which is what i should be aiming for and theoretically possible. i also have an unconditional for a place i do like, but its not my favourite. i feel im being cornered into taking the unconditional because every single day the like hood of me achieving the grades i need drops.

Bottom line, im absolutely desperate. what do i do? (btw sorry for the long post)
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alicewonderland2)
    ima cut straight to the point, i have a problem. Basically my mental health has been a struggle for 2 years, and in the past 6 ish months its gotten worse. I've had counselling and high intensity CBT but neither seemed to work, so now im at the point where my CAMHS referral was rejected because they wouldn't be able to do much because im nearly 18, so now im waiting till the middle of march for an assessment appt with iapt, and will probably have to wait another 5 weeks after that to start treatment. i think i have moderate-severe depression, and im not counting on therapy working when it hasnt in the past.

my grades are starting to suffer and i should be revising for my a-levels, but i feel like i cant. I've recieved some incredible offers, and if i wasn't suffering so much then id have enough faith in myself to put down my AAA or AAB offer, which is what i should be aiming for and theoretically possible. i also have an unconditional for a place i do like, but its not my favourite. i feel im being cornered into taking the unconditional because every single day the like hood of me achieving the grades i need drops.

Bottom line, im absolutely desperate. what do i do? (btw sorry for the long post)
    Maybe put the unconditional as your insurance and one of the places you prefer with a higher offer as your firm. I appreciate just how hard mental health problems are but you never know what you’ll be able to achieve!

(Original post by ruthflame57)
    Maybe put the unconditional as your insurance and one of the places you prefer with a higher offer as your firm. I appreciate just how hard mental health problems are but you never know what you’ll be able to achieve!
    the unconditional is only if i make it my firm choice though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    the unconditional is only if i make it my firm choice though
    Oh ****, I see your dilemma! What’s the offer if it was an insurance?

ReputationRep:
    Oh ****, I see your dilemma! What’s the offer if it was an insurance?
    112 ucas points (ABB) which isnt much of a backup option with my current circumstances

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alicewonderland2)
    112 ucas points (ABB) which isnt much of a backup option with my current circumstances
    No I understand that! I guess you’ll just have to do some thinking about what you think you can achieve and if you like this other place enough to put it as your firm. It might be worth it because you’re clearly perfectly intelligent enough to get those grades and to do a degree, your circumstances are just against you at the moment. All the best and I hope you find some way through this.

ReputationRep:
    No I understand that! I guess you’ll just have to do some thinking about what you think you can achieve and if you like this other place enough to put it as your firm. It might be worth it because you’re clearly perfectly intelligent enough to get those grades and to do a degree, your circumstances are just against you at the moment. All the best and I hope you find some way through this.
    Thanks, i hope so too

I’m in a very similar position but without the unconditional. I am under Camhs but this will end after I finish my exams in just under 4 months. I’ve had severe depression for 3 years and am taking lots of different meds. When I turn 18 I’m going straight to a private psychologist as no one will take me under 18. I don’t feel motivated to do any work and last year I overdosed and am at a low point. The only uni I can go to is near me as I need my parents in case anything goes wrong. The course I applied for doesn’t give out unconditional and I need a miracle to get the required grades. I know I can do it but tiredness and side effects from medication makes it 10X harder.
    If I was in you’re position I’d do everything in my power to get through the next 4 months in whatever way possible. After you’re exams go straight to a private psychiatrist, get medication or any other treatment they recommend and hope for the best. Getting intense treatment now or medication will make work harder. When I first started medication, the side effects were so severe including suicidal thoughts, extreme tiredness, lack of motivation, shaking and lack of concentration that I couldn’t bring myself to work. Trust me on this advice. I always thought things couldn’t get worse and they did so I wouldn’t recommend intense treatment until after exams

ReputationRep:
    I am in a very similar situation without the unconditional. I would strongly advise not to pursue treatment until after exams. When I first started medication, the side effects were so severe including extreme tiredness, lack of motivation and concentration, shaking, memory loss suicidal thoughts that I couldn’t cope and overdosed. I am under Camhs but this will end soon. I thought things couldn’t get worse and then I tried treatment and it got much worse. If there’s any way you can get through the next 3 months without going insane then do it.
    Treatment is supposed to help but it takes so much time to help and once those exams are over you have 3 months to try improve stuff before uni. I completely understand why you would go for unconditional and only you truly know you’re capabilities. I wish I had an unconditional but my course doesn’t do them and I’m pretty much screwed. Best of luck anyways

(Original post by Anonjones4000)
    I am in a very similar situation without the unconditional. I would strongly advise not to pursue treatment until after exams. When I first started medication, the side effects were so severe including extreme tiredness, lack of motivation and concentration, shaking, memory loss suicidal thoughts that I couldn’t cope and overdosed. I am under Camhs but this will end soon. I thought things couldn’t get worse and then I tried treatment and it got much worse. If there’s any way you can get through the next 3 months without going insane then do it.
    Treatment is supposed to help but it takes so much time to help and once those exams are over you have 3 months to try improve stuff before uni. I completely understand why you would go for unconditional and only you truly know you’re capabilities. I wish I had an unconditional but my course doesn’t do them and I’m pretty much screwed. Best of luck anyways
    that's the problem i guess, im 99% sure there's not going to be anything that can be done before exams which sucks because i used to thrive on good grades.

i hope your exams go well if you are doing a-levels, good luck

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 17, 2018
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.