Turn on thread page Beta
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    What is this?/I'm confused
    Hi there. If you're confused as to what is going on here then you are probably new to this section of TSR. This is a Model House of Commons, a forum where we emulate the structure of the Real Life House of Commons as an excuse to debate politics.

If you are seeing this and you want to get involved in the debate, please feel free. You do not need to join a party, get approval or join any group to get stuck in right away. If you enjoy it and you do want to join a party then you can do so here. If you have any questions or need any help please message me. I am the current speaker of the house and part of my role involves offering impartial advice to new members so I will always be happy to answer what questions you have. Alternatively, you can read the new members guide to get advice on a wide range of issues.

Note: Please refrain from making comments about how we spend our free time. It is our free time to spend.

B1336 - Tattooing of Minors Bill 2018, TSR Government
    A

BILL

TO

liberalise the laws regarding the tattooing of minors by repealing the Tattooing of Minors Act 1969.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

For the purposes of this Act-
    (i)“Tattoo” shall mean the insertion into the skin of any colouring material designed to leave a permanent mark.
    (ii) “medical reasons” refers to tattooing needed for medical procedures such as for skin pigmentation related procedures or mastectomies, et cetera.

1. Liberalisation of Tattooing of Minors

(1) Prohibition of tattooing of minors.
    It shall be an offence to tattoo a person under the age of 16 without the consent of a parent or guardian; except when the tattoo is performed for medical reasons by a duly qualified medical practitioner.

(2) It shall be an offence to tattoo a person under the age of 13, except when the tattoo is performed for medical reasons by a duly qualified medical practitioner.

2. Implementation

(1) Violation of this Act by any person shall mean on summary of conviction a fine not exceeding £500 or, in the case of a second or subsequent conviction, to a fine not exceeding £1000.

(2) Age verification, via a passport or other official documentation, will be required before a tattooing can be carried out. This personal data must be retained in compliance with the Data Protection Act 1998.

4. Repeals

(1) This Act hereby repeals the “Tattooing Of Minors Act 1969”

5. Commencement, short title and extent

(1) This Act may be cited as the Tattooing of Minors Act 2018
    (2) This bill shall extend to the United Kingdom; and
    (3) Shall come into force upon Royal Assent.

Notes:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Tattooing is a personal choice and form of self expression which should receive minimal intervention from the state. People should have control of how they express themselves and, as individuals, can do with their body as they wish. This Act even provides extra safeguards for teenagers under 16 years old - by getting parental consent and documented age verification - that want a tattoo whilst retaining all the health and safety guidelines currently in force to protect people from the dangers of tattooing (diseases, mutilation, et cetera).

Repeal link: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1969/24/contents
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Aye – I support this bill.

ReputationRep:
    So this Government supports allowing minors to alter their body permanently if that is what they want?

ReputationRep:
    Aye, makes perfect sense to me.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    So this Government supports allowing minors to alter their body permanently if that is what they want?
    Isn't this like their least authoritarian bill so far?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Strong aye from me - reasonable bill
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    While I agree with the principle of allowing people to express themselves as they wish, I don't think I can vote in favour of this. Tattoos aren't something you can easily change as your opinions and viewpoints develop, as you could with perhaps with the way you dress or the symbols you wear. They can only be changed with great difficulty and surely a thirteen-year-old cannot know that their future self will be happy with the choices they make at that particular moment. In my view, tattoos are an adult choice with a similar kind of permanency as getting married.

This bill is also unclear as to what rules apply to those aged between 16 and 18. Those 12 and under cannot get tattoos, those aged 13,14 or 15 need parental consent and obviously those over 18 can give their own consent, but how about those in the 16-18 bracket?

ReputationRep:
    Nay - kids are kids and will make choices they regret- except this one is irreversible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thrillanthropist)
    Isn't this like their least authoritarian bill so far?
    It is but it made me think of a similar issue a bill could be made on

ReputationRep:
    Abstain - tattoos should be fully permissible for minors, based on their own discretion.

This bill doesn’t go far enough but I don’t disagree with the sentiment.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Abstain -
    (Original post by CatusStarbright)
    This bill is unclear as to what rules apply to those aged between 16 and 18.but how about those in the 16-18 bracket?
    Until an explanation on this is given I cannot vote for.

ReputationRep:
    No - this bill is needed to prevent minors from making stupid irreversible decisions that could affect their employability.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I cannot support children being free to make decisions that make a permanent mark on their lives; we have a duty to protect people until they are of an age of independence.

(Original post by Unown Uzer)
    Aye - this bill is needed to prevent minors from making stupid irreversible decisions that could affect their employability.
    You clearly have not done the slightest bit of research on the Tattooing of Minors Act 1969. This bill does exactly the opposite of what you advocate for, permitting children to make those decisions.

ReputationRep:
    Aye.
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    Political Ambassador
    This is an interesting bill but I don’t think it’s something that I am willing to actively support. On that basis I’ll abstain on this for now
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unown Uzer)
    Aye - this bill is needed to prevent minors from making stupid irreversible decisions that could affect their employability.
    While I personally agree with you, to play devil's advocate, shouldn't we admit that tattoos causing employability problems is outdated and we should find a way to end this? If this bill or if there was a bill soon promised to be put forward on making it an offence against not employing someone based on if they had a tattoo, I suppose I could support this one.

ReputationRep:
    Aye

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't this leave open the risk of parents using their kids as a sort of fashion statement and having them tattooed? It strikes me as opening up the risk of abuse.

The law is fine as it is - does the author of this bill have tattoos themselves?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    There's absolutely no good reason to have a age limit younger than 16, parental permission or not. I take some comfort in the restrictions V1133 has put in place already, but I will not vote for a bill that allows under-16s to get tattoos.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FlintofBavaria)
    While I personally agree with you, to play devil's advocate, shouldn't we admit that tattoos causing employability problems is outdated and we should find a way to end this? If this bill or if there was a bill soon promised to be put forward on making it an offence against not employing someone based on if they had a tattoo, I suppose I could support this one.
    I think as a society, we should be discouraging things like tattoos. If employers don't want employees with tattoos, that's their choice.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 1, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.