Turn on thread page Beta

Travelled to London last weekend, joined the A14 at Barhill, it has a temporary speed limit of 40mph because of road works. This stretch of road also has many average speed cameras. I am a new driver and joined the road not focusing on my speed, but rather on gaining enough speed to fit into the traffic. Once I joined, i moved over a lane since the two right lanes continue into the M11 which is what I needed. However I spotted a camera and then realised my speed was about 46-50, and eased off the accelerator immediately. I went through the next one at about 39/40. I have been worried sick that I’m going to get a ticket ever since, as if my speed average is calculated between these 2 cameras, I’d have an average of potentially 45 at most. are these cameras live and set at 40mph? Am I likely to be fined? I rarely ever speed and if I do it’s accidental (I have a black box) and through every other camera I was doing the speed limit. Many thanks
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Travelled to London last weekend, joined the A14 at Barhill, it has a temporary speed limit of 40mph because of road works. This stretch of road also has many average speed cameras. I am a new driver and joined the road not focusing on my speed, but rather on gaining enough speed to fit into the traffic. Once I joined, i moved over a lane since the two right lanes continue into the M11 which is what I needed. However I spotted a camera and then realised my speed was about 46-50, and eased off the accelerator immediately. I went through the next one at about 39/40. I have been worried sick that I’m going to get a ticket ever since, as if my speed average is calculated between these 2 cameras, I’d have an average of potentially 45 at most. are these cameras live and set at 40mph? Am I likely to be fined? I rarely ever speed and if I do it’s accidental (I have a black box) and through every other camera I was doing the speed limit. Many thanks
    Your speedo tends to over-read, and the speed camera tends to give some leniency, so chances are you probably haven't been caught. But your black box probably won't be so forgiving as the speed cameras.

ReputationRep:
    Your box will mark you down, the camera is more forgiving as sheepy says. Warning, not every camera is like this and whilst the speedo overreads, it's always a possibility you get nailed to a cross for doing 41 in a 40. It's 14 days to get a definite answer anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nevershear)
    Your box will mark you down, the camera is more forgiving as sheepy says. Warning, not every camera is like this and whilst the speedo overreads, it's always a possibility you get nailed to a cross for doing 41 in a 40. It's 14 days to get a definite answer anyway.
    you could never get nailed for doing 41 in 40 anyway there is a 10% on top of the speed limit is the limit as for when they start to send tickets and realistic to do 44 mph your speedo will say about 48

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by damn daniel yeah)
    you could never get nailed for doing 41 in 40 anyway there is a 10% on top of the speed limit is the limit as for when they start to send tickets and realistic to do 44 mph your speedo will say about 48
    Legally - yes you can. The 10% myth has never been part of any legislation, it's an off the record point of guidance. If a copper pulls you for gunning at 42, he can give you 3 points on the spot. That is why the banding starts from 1mph over, not 10%
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by damn daniel yeah)
    The 10% + 2mph is only a guideline. Legally, you can get done for being 1mph over a speed limit.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.