The Student Room Group

Isn't this the disproved structure for benzene?

Maybe I'm just missing something, but I could've sworn this was Kekule's disproven structure for Benzene? Isn't it supposed to have a ring representing the six delocalised pi electrons? I know that there is also the resonance depiction for the ring of electrons, but then there should be two structures of benzene with alternating double bonds, no? (or is this structure for benzene representing the said resonance and I'm just oblivious lmao)
(hopefully this makes sense, lol)
Attachment not found
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by sportyegg
Maybe I'm just missing something, but I could've sworn this was Kekule's disproven structure for Benzene? Isn't it supposed to have a ring representing the six delocalised pi electrons? I know that there is also the resonance depiction for the ring of electrons, but then there should be two structures of benzene with alternating double bonds, no? (or is this structure for benzene representing the said resonance and I'm just oblivious lmao)
(hopefully this makes sense, lol)

It is technically the disproven version, it’s just a simpler represantion of benzene, of how we thought it was. Basically the bonds that are in this image are what causes the electrons to be so displaced that it creates a ring of electrons rather than stays in this one place where the bond is drawn, hence the difference in enthalpy change during the oxidation (I think?) back to a cyclohexane molecule. What you’re seeing in the image is a theoritical molecule called cyclohexa-1,3,5-triene, which doesn’t exist (hence is theoritical) because the electrons from the double bonds are really displaced to create that ring in benzene.

Edit: when referring to the difference in enthalpy change I meant that theoretically, using the drawn molecule it would be -360 or something like that, that’s going from the oxidation of cyclohexene (-120 for one double bond so multiply by 3 for three double bonds), but the enthalpy change for benzene is actually less exothermic
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest