Turn on thread page Beta

Soon I need to go to a phyciatrist for my deppression for the first time. I am 16 and don't know what to expect or what kind of questions they will ask. Even though I probably need it I am nervous they will give me medication as I have seen antidepressants have very bad side effects on my family. Also my mum thinks I've been depressed since a very bad event that happened in our lives recently and yes it made it a lot worse but I had been deppressed long before that. I'm worried that I wont get anything out of it. Or the questions might be really personal and there are things I don't want my mum to know about my deppression. I know this isn't really the kind of thing you would come across on the student room but I didn't know where else to seek advice from.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people seek advice with mental health here, you’re not alone!

Firstly, if you don’t want antidepressants then make sure your psychiatrist knows that, and you’re only 16 and often they don’t want to give medication to young people, at least not before trying other things first. They are going to ask you personal questions, but if you don’t feel comfortable answering them then say so, but do try to talk about whatever you can because the more they know the better they can help, so maybe say that you’re not ready to talk about that just yet and you can try later on, after a few more sessions when you get more comfortable.

It’s not going to help straight away 90% of the time, you just have to stick with it for a while, because it takes a while to get at the roots of your issues and how to make you feel better about them, so don’t give up.

Lastly, your mom doesn’t have to know anything unless you agree that she can be told. It’s doctor patient confidentiality, but if you want to be reassured tell your psychiatrist that you don’t want what you’re talking about to be told to your mom, then you can tell her yourself if you want to, but you don’t have to
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    They cannot force you to take medication
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Soon I need to go to a phyciatrist for my deppression for the first time. I am 16 and don't know what to expect or what kind of questions they will ask. Even though I probably need it I am nervous they will give me medication as I have seen antidepressants have very bad side effects on my family. Also my mum thinks I've been depressed since a very bad event that happened in our lives recently and yes it made it a lot worse but I had been deppressed long before that. I'm worried that I wont get anything out of it. Or the questions might be really personal and there are things I don't want my mum to know about my deppression. I know this isn't really the kind of thing you would come across on the student room but I didn't know where else to seek advice from.
    First things first, your mum does not have to come in with you and I would actually suggest she doesn't. Even if you're totally okay with her knowing the stuff it's just a bit easier to be honest and open without somebody you know there. It can get a bit personal or emotional and that can mean some tears which would be a bit awkward with mum there. It's also best of you answer the questions and things yourself which again can be difficult with mum there since she might answer for you. And you're grown up now, this is your health and decisions about it are yours to make. It's easier to remember that and be honest about what you want without mum sat next to you.

Next, this is their job. The are totally used to tears and things that might sound silly and whatever else. They aren't going to judge you so just be as honest as you can cos that helps them help you better.

Last, this is all about you. What you want and what you're comfortable with matter. If you don't like the idea of something or you have any questions then say. You might like to take in some notes with you if there's anything you want to mention or ask so you remember.

It is totally normal to be nervous about this, but there's nothing to worry about. It might be awkward and a bit personal, but it's all about helping you.
    Oh and btw this is totally the sort of stuff you can come across on the student room. Mental Health issues are actually pretty common (1 in 4 people will suffer one I believe). That includes with young people. You are by no means alone.

Hope that helps and good luck with your appointment.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 18, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.