The Student Room Group

Should I go see my GP about lower right abdominal pain?

Firstly I’m a girl, 18 yo. Back in November, at the beginning of the month I got admitted to A&E with severe abdominal pain in my lower right abdomen, after my GP recommended for me to go to the hospital suspecting appendicitis. Long story short, all my blood and urine tests were normal but my heart rate was very very high, about 130 when I first got in and doctors suspected it was actually an ovarian cyst as the pain started during the middle of my cycle and some blood must have gotten in and irritated my abdomen.

Afterwards some pain continued, then I had some sharp pains once in a while in the same spot. It occurred less often and now I feel it a few times a month, usually during ovulation. They don’t last a long time, usually only a few seconds but when it does if feels like I’ve been stabbed from the inside it’s so painful, and then I have some “residual” pain as I like to describe it, it’s not exactly pain just a feeling of there being something. Now it’s been a long time, and according to the internet (so trustworthy heh) they should go away within 3 months, so I’m getting worried. Is it worth asking my GP about it? Maybe asking for an ultrasound to make sure everything looks alright?
Original post by Anonymous
Firstly I’m a girl, 18 yo. Back in November, at the beginning of the month I got admitted to A&E with severe abdominal pain in my lower right abdomen, after my GP recommended for me to go to the hospital suspecting appendicitis. Long story short, all my blood and urine tests were normal but my heart rate was very very high, about 130 when I first got in and doctors suspected it was actually an ovarian cyst as the pain started during the middle of my cycle and some blood must have gotten in and irritated my abdomen.

Afterwards some pain continued, then I had some sharp pains once in a while in the same spot. It occurred less often and now I feel it a few times a month, usually during ovulation. They don’t last a long time, usually only a few seconds but when it does if feels like I’ve been stabbed from the inside it’s so painful, and then I have some “residual” pain as I like to describe it, it’s not exactly pain just a feeling of there being something. Now it’s been a long time, and according to the internet (so trustworthy heh) they should go away within 3 months, so I’m getting worried. Is it worth asking my GP about it? Maybe asking for an ultrasound to make sure everything looks alright?

It sounds like it's definitely worth seeing your GP again, now that it's becoming a long term problem. It sounds like they didn't do many more specific tests at the hospital, so it would be worth seeing your GP to get confirmation about whether it is a cyst or not and what you can do about whatever it is. Good luck, and I hope you feel better soon!
yeah I’d recommend going back to your GP and telling them about it, they should schedule you in for an ultrasound! that’s what I had and they can check for all kinds of problems in that area so it’s definitely worth doing

Quick Reply

Latest