Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was just filling out my student finance application, when I came to the Disability Students' Allowance. From 2013 - 2015, I had bone cancer which resulted in me having a knee replacement, which doesn't impair me so much, just means I can't run. The chemo I was on also scarred my heart, giving me a mild heart condition which I take medication for. I also had a disable badge until 2016. However, do I qualify for DSAs, as the list to guide you details physical disability, and long term health conditions. I'm unsure about whether I qualify for this and would appreciate some help.

Cheers
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Oaysis13)
    I was just filling out my student finance application, when I came to the Disability Students' Allowance. From 2013 - 2015, I had bone cancer which resulted in me having a knee replacement, which doesn't impair me so much, just means I can't run. The chemo I was on also scarred my heart, giving me a mild heart condition which I take medication for. I also had a disable badge until 2016. However, do I qualify for DSAs, as the list to guide you details physical disability, and long term health conditions. I'm unsure about whether I qualify for this and would appreciate some help.

Cheers
    Not sure if either of you know about this/can help? chelseadagg3r Tiger Rag
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Oaysis13)

Cheers
    I'm sorry to hear all of this! Sounds like you've had a rough few years. Do your problems affect you day to day? For example, sitting for long periods of time (or standing) which might cause problems with your course, or perhaps problems with fatigue or anything due to medication or your heart condition? Think more about how it affects you rather than what it is, because that's where you'll qualify for specific things. DSA is more about getting you things like equipment and non medical helpers, so if you think something may be of use to you in your studies then it's definitely worth applying. In my case, for example, I have a modified chair in my room at uni so I can sit for longer, a new laptop with loads of software on it, a dictaphone so I can record lectures, a stand for books, a laptop tray thing so I can work in bed, and stuff like that. It's all about whether you have a disability or health condition that affects your ability to study, basically

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelseadagg3r)
    I'm sorry to hear all of this! Sounds like you've had a rough few years. Do your problems affect you day to day? For example, sitting for long periods of time (or standing) which might cause problems with your course, or perhaps problems with fatigue or anything due to medication or your heart condition? Think more about how it affects you rather than what it is, because that's where you'll qualify for specific things. DSA is more about getting you things like equipment and non medical helpers, so if you think something may be of use to you in your studies then it's definitely worth applying. In my case, for example, I have a modified chair in my room at uni so I can sit for longer, a new laptop with loads of software on it, a dictaphone so I can record lectures, a stand for books, a laptop tray thing so I can work in bed, and stuff like that. It's all about whether you have a disability or health condition that affects your ability to study, basically
    Ah okay, thanks for clearing that up for me, it doesn't so much affect my studying so I reckon I won't be applicable to this. Thanks!

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.