Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What would happen if in the history exam I get a date/figure wrong?

For example if I put 1963 when the real date was 1962 or 1961 will this make me lose marks?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry171)

For example if I put 1963 when the real date was 1962 or 1961 will this make me lose marks?
    Maybe. If everything else is accurate and good but you make 1 mistake that is maybe 1 year out then it shouldn't matter. If there are 2 or 3 mistakes or 1 mistake that is a long way out then yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry171)

I don’t know if this still applies but when I did OCR Modern History 2 years ago, you didn’t usually have to put exact dates. As long as you got everything chronologically correct (i.e. Berlin Blockade then the Berlin airlift) it was pretty much fine.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baza2002)
    Maybe. If everything else is accurate and good but you make 1 mistake that is maybe 1 year out then it shouldn't matter. If there are 2 or 3 mistakes or 1 mistake that is a long way out then yes.
    This isn't true. I don't know about your exam board but I know CIE does positive marking (i.e. they won't take marks off as such but they will give you marks for what you have written - my history teacher says to never cross anything out unless it directly contradicts what you're about to write)
    If you are 'way off' then I would presume that this would hinder your contextual knowledge of the situation in the first place, but in reality you don't even need dates unless it's a specific facts question (which there aren't any of in CIE) as long as you can describe the event.

ReputationRep:
    I did WJEC History and we were advised if we didn’t remember the exact date in the exam to say ‘in the late 60’s’ or something along those lines as opposed to guessing an exact year and getting it wrong

Although, it is important to remain chronological and I would suggest to only use that wording if you can’t remember!

I found it helpful to make timelines to remember key dates and printed them off and stuck them on my bedroom wall!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 17, 2018
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.