Turn on thread page Beta

Should weed be legalised? watch

• View Poll Results: Should weed be legal?
    Yes
    75.00%
    No
    25.00%

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    To get things straight, I don’t do any illegal drugs. I don’t smoke but I do drink some alcohol.

So my question is should it just be legal? I mean there’s so many people doing it nowadays that you may as well? From statistics I’ve seen it is much less harmful than tobacco or alcohol and causes far less deaths, if any at all. Surely the government could profit from it putting it on the shelves for people to buy?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Yes and not taxed imo.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Anonman7)
    Hello,
    To get things straight, I don’t do any illegal drugs. I don’t smoke but I do drink some alcohol.

So my question is should it just be legal? I mean there’s so many people doing it nowadays that you may as well? From statistics I’ve seen it is much less harmful than tobacco or alcohol and causes far less deaths, if any at all. Surely the government could profit from it putting it on the shelves for people to buy?
    Once you try cannabis, you'll more than likely go to other more dangerous drugs. So I'd say it shouldn't be legalised.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoyalSheepy)
    Once you try cannabis, you'll more than likely go to other more dangerous drugs. So I'd say it shouldn't be legalised.
    Yeah I see what you mean. As someone that doesn’t do drugs I personally wouldn’t know but yeah I see it could lead you to wanting to try other things but can’t tobacco anyway?
    P.S. I accidentally clicked report on your post but didn’t mean to, getting use to the app 😬
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    just say no

ReputationRep:
    Most students (at least on here) think it should be legal. Won't happen though.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    99.1% purity too

Name:  9F975B26-AAD3-46A7-A962-3EEB3F58B9E1.jpeg
Views: 19
Size:  59.3 KB
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Anonman7)
    Yeah I see what you mean. As someone that doesn’t do drugs I personally wouldn’t know but yeah I see it could lead you to wanting to try other things but can’t tobacco anyway?
    P.S. I accidentally clicked report on your post but didn’t mean to, getting use to the app 😬
    You could say the same thing about tobacco tbf. But, tobacco doesn't have the weird effects on the brain like cannabis does.

Spoiler:
    Show

And no worries, I'll get that sorted for you

ReputationRep:
    Yes, on the condition it's heavily regulated, both with regards to where it's sold and smoked, and taxed to kingdom come.

ReputationRep:
    From the government drugabuse.gov website:

...These findings are consistent with the idea of marijuana as a "gateway drug." However, the majority of people who use marijuana do not go on to use other, "harder" substances. Also, cross-sensitization is not unique to marijuana. Alcohol and nicotine also prime the brain for a heightened response to other drugs52 and are, like marijuana, also typically used before a person progresses to other, more harmful substances.

So yeh, weed is a gateway drug, sure, but so is alcohol and nicotine, yet they're legalised. And there is no evidence to suggest that the majority of weed users will progress to harder substances.

ReputationRep:
    It's fairly well established at this point that from a physiological, psychological and societal perspective, cannabis is no more dangerous than tobacco or alcohol when properly legislated. I would be more than happy to see if legalised in both a medical and recreational context in a similar way to the Netherlands or the US states that are already greatly benefiting from the practice.

ReputationRep:
    why was it banned in the first place? something to do with race right?

ReputationRep:
    No. Lazy benefit claiming pot heads are already a blight on society we don’t need more of them.

ReputationRep:
    yes it should be legalised and taxed as well, we have people drinking alcohol freely which causes more deaths than weed.
    Selling and taxing marijuana would allow many small businesses such as independently owned convenient/tobacco stores to bring in much more revenue than they did prior to the legalization of cannabis.Also making it legal will get rid of the connection users have to drug-dealing criminals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Death and Taxes)
    No. Lazy benefit claiming pot heads are already a blight on society we don’t need more of them.
    Benefit claiming alcoholics are the same, but yet alcohol is legal. It's not the drugs (be it alcohol, weed, etc.) that's the problem, it's the individual.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I found this, this morning: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-43101716

I fully agree with the legalisation of cannabis as prescription drug, but not as a not as a drug you can buy.

ReputationRep:
    yes, all drugs should be.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.