Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Working Rights watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

As an under-18 worker in retail, I have been asked by my employer for a schedule for my availability to work. The system works by a weekly rota, decided the Thurs/Friday before the week it applies to, with Sunday being the start of the working week.

Do I have the right to state I will not work most of Saturday due to exam revision all day? My employment contract does not specify that I MUST work weekends and I could earlier in my employment until recently.

Thanks in advance.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by TheMexicanSloth)
    Hi guys,

As an under-18 worker in retail, I have been asked by my employer for a schedule for my availability to work. The system works by a weekly rota, decided the Thurs/Friday before the week it applies to, with Sunday being the start of the working week.

Do I have the right to state I will not work most of Saturday due to exam revision all day? My employment contract does not specify that I MUST work weekends and I could earlier in my employment until recently.

Thanks in advance.
    Just have a word with them. You also have t look at what your contract says and I expect it requires you to work the hours offered. It may give you the right to refuse. If you cant work with them then they are likely just to able to let you go. You should think about whether you really need the job.

http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=5410
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by TheMexicanSloth)
    Hi guys,

Thanks in advance.
    If your contract says that you must work weekends then it looks like you will have to work weekends. It may be worth speaking to them though to see what they could do and if you could work a different day instead or something.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.