Turn on thread page Beta

Data flow diagram/ Class diagram need help! watch

ReputationRep:
    How do i implement these if i were to do this?

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried looking for guides and examples online?

Data Flow Diagrams:
    https://www.lucidchart.com/pages/data-flow-diagram

UML Class DIagrams:
    https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/r...ge/sep04/bell/

By the way, you don't need to waste money on any fancy diagramming apps, at least I never used those apps in any of my coursework. I just used Pen & Paper, or scrawled something on a Whiteboard and used my phone to take a photo

If I ever needed to make them look a bit better, then I'd use the various Shapes and arrows in Microsoft Office PowerPoint instead. That's a bit of a faff, but there are enough different kinds of shapes and lines in PowerPoint to make it work pretty well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by winterscoming)
    Have you tried looking for guides and examples online?

Data Flow Diagrams:
    https://www.lucidchart.com/pages/data-flow-diagram

UML Class DIagrams:
    https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/r...ge/sep04/bell/

By the way, you don't need to waste money on any fancy diagramming apps, at least I never used those apps in any of my coursework. I just used Pen & Paper, or scrawled something on a Whiteboard and used my phone to take a photo

If I ever needed to make them look a bit better, then I'd use the various Shapes and arrows in Microsoft Office PowerPoint instead. That's a bit of a faff, but there are enough different kinds of shapes and lines in PowerPoint to make it work pretty well.
    how would i implement one for a simple game like space invaders

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheItMaster)
    how would i implement one for a simple game like space invaders
    To be honest, you're really asking the wrong question here - I get the feeling that the way you're going about this is backward.

To put forward an analogy, this is like asking "How would I create a painting of a house?" or "How would I compose some music for a Film?". Questions like that don't yield answers, they only yield more questions. What kind of house? What kind of film? What kind of painting? What kind of music? etc.

Data Flow Diagrams and UML diagrams aren't the starting point (nor are they the end point for that matter) - they're tools used as part of the thought process which goes into analysis and design. To be able to create those diagrams, and for those diagrams to actually make any sense, you need to start with a proper analysis of the program you're trying to write.

Diagrams like this are thought-tools for visualising specific aspects of requirements or design. The fact that you're asking this question means that your real problem is probably that you're jumping ahead of yourself before you've begun a deep analysis to create the requirements for your game. Furthermore, without the requirements analysis, you also have nothing to build upon for identifying parts of your design either.

Take a step back, and aim to write a clearly defined specification containing detailed functional requirements; your analysis should focus on whether there's enough detail in those requirements to describe how the game is actually going to work - a Data Flow Diagram should help you reason about this.

When you know how it's going to work, the next stage is to reason over those requirements to capture a design which describes the structure of the program, and decide whether it makes logical sense for the requirements - at that point, a UML Class Diagram starts to be useful.

Use your attempts at drawing those diagrams as a way to make sense of your thought process. If anything seems wrong or pieces are missing, then it signals that you need to spend more time thinking about the specific detail of the problem or how you would design the solution. Attempting to draw these diagrams should force you to think about the detail. You can't expect to get it right the first time (or even second or third), the diagrams will probably change a bunch of times as you spend more time thinking about how the game needs to work and what it needs to do

So, focus on the requirements and the structure of the game; these diagrams should be a natural artefact of having spent time reasoning over your requirements. You'll know when you've spent enough time thinking about your analysis, because the diagrams themselves will become increasingly obvious and clear - especially once you've got some code written down.

For a Data Flow Diagram:
    Define functional requirements for the space invaders game, and do the following as part of your in-depth analysis of those requirements:
    • Identify data flows
    • Identify processes
    • Identify data stores
    • Identify external entities

Then, use the appropriate symbols for External Entities, Processes, Data Stores and Dataflows to put a diagram together which represents those things, where data flows connect the other pieces together. Check whether it makes sense, and modify it as you think of new ideas

For a UML Class Diagram:
    Translate your requirements analysis into a design by considering the way you would define and structure classes in the code:
    • Identify classes in your program
    • Identify attributes and methods of those classes, including their access levels
    • Identify the relationships between those classes, if any exist

Then, use the appropriate symbols and notation for Classes, Attributes, Methods and Class-Relationships to put together a diagram which matches the class structure of the program

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.