Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What do you think is more respected among the public, how difficult a uni is to get into or how prestigious it is?

Eg Oxford gets you plaudits worldwide

but Peking for a native chinese is practically impossible to get into and they don't get the same praise.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Kyber Ninja)
    What do you think is more respected among the public, how difficult a uni is to get into or how prestigious it is?

Eg Oxford gets you plaudits worldwide

but Peking for a native chinese is practically impossible to get into and they don't get the same praise.
    Why should they get the same praise? Wouldnt the achievement be going to a centre of excellence? People are unlikely to know where theres more competition and there are reasons for that in any event.

Are you in need of praise?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Why should they get the same praise? Wouldnt the achievement be going to a centre of excellence? People are unlikely to know where theres more competition and there are reasons for that in any event.

Are you in need of praise?
    Peking is a centre of excellence though?

No, but need more posts

ReputationRep:
    Unless you are in that top 1% of prestige then it doesn’t matter very much so long as the following applies

The course is accredited by some academic board (British Computing Society .etc.), this means the course is actually teaching to a high enough quality to be recognised as more than a piece of paper at the end.

Pick a good degree, picking Roman History won’t do you any favours in the careers world.

Apart from that employers aren’t really bothered, and ultimately that’s what matters.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Peking is a centre of excellence though?

No, but need more posts
    Well you keep pushing your neediness and telling everyone else that they have got it wrong and reputation doesnt matter its only how difficult it is to get into Peking that matters.

ReputationRep:
    I attend Nottingham, and every morning i may as well be walking into either an asian university or headed to asian office lol. They are everywhere and generally the richest kids come to study all over russell groups in the UK.

Though Peking may be more difficult everyone should know english is the language of global business and affairs....

So never discount the value of an English education.

So unless asians stop coming here in literal swarms its obvious UK education is more prestigious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Well you keep pushing your neediness and telling everyone else that they have got it wrong and reputation doesnt matter its only how difficult it is to get into Peking that matters.
    Everyone has needs

I haven't told anyone that they're wrong about anything, except for you when you said that Peking wasn't a centre of excellence (which it is).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Realitysreflexx)
    I attend Nottingham, and every morning i may as well be walking into either an asian university or headed to asian office lol. They are everywhere and generally the richest kids come to study all over russell groups in the UK.

Though Peking may be more difficult everyone should know english is the language of global business and affairs....

So never discount the value of an English education.

So unless asians stop coming here in literal swarms its obvious UK education is more prestigious.
    They're dodging their entrance examination

ReputationRep:
    They're dodging their entrance examination
    Its likely so top heavy though, there are maybe four good chinese unis, likely the ones in big cities?

Though i could do an exchange there if i wanted i qualified academically, but i prefer going to Nottingham malaysia campus instead, chinas a bit weird lol.

Plus chinese students are so shy they need to see the world, i would daresay they are far more likely to add to society coming to the UK and getting a more confident attitude and education. Rather then the antisocial 24 hour study baloney in Asia.

ReputationRep:
    I'd be lying if I said I gave a **** about either.

University open days

• Staffordshire University
    Everything except: Midwifery, Operating Department Practice, Paramedic Undergraduate
    Sun, 21 Oct '18
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.