Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I took geog, psychology, bio, and chem ( + EPQ but that's going to end soon, THANK THE LORDS :yeah:)
    The only subjects I'm not failing are geog and psychology, I've been failing my bio and chem tests even though I try and revise as much as I can!

I'm really worried because I want to aim for Medicine, but the grades I've been getting (B-U's mostly E's and D's) are not good, I'm really anxious because I feel like I might fail my mocks as well and not get the desired predicted grade???

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, you're not the only one! How do revise for biology and chemistry?

ReputationRep:
    Keep revising, and make sure you go over what you get wrong. It's the only way to improve.

Also, I'd suggest dropping Psychology or Geog so you have more time for Bio and Chem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Appazap)
    Don't worry, you're not the only one! How do revise for biology and chemistry?
    I mostly use flashcards and go through exam papers but I feel like I just don't understand most of the things because my teacher doesn't really explain it well I've tried going over it on my own but without the basic understanding of things, I can't understand the other topics!

I wish I was still doing GCSE's right now tbh

ReputationRep:
    How are you finding Geography? Out of Bio and Comp Sci I am finding Geography really challenging simply because of the lack of past papers, the spec has changed a lot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amaraub)
    Keep revising, and make sure you go over what you get wrong. It's the only way to improve.

Also, I'd suggest dropping Psychology or Geog so you have more time for Bio and Chem
    Yeah, I'm not giving up so easily but it's a little disheartening to see the bad grades I get even though I put in the effort in revising for them.

I don't really want to drop it, partially due to the fact that I didn't take Maths or Physics but I am considering it now tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S a i n t)
    I mostly use flashcards and go through exam papers but I feel like I just don't understand most of the things because my teacher doesn't really explain it well I've tried going over it on my own but without the basic understanding of things, I can't understand the other topics!

I wish I was still doing GCSE's right now tbh
    Well imo, there's no point in making flash cards and doing exam papers if you do not understand the content. Have you tried youtube videos? When i struggled with chemistry, videos helped a lot because they teach it to you.

Overall, i think you need to start from all the stuff you did in Year 12 and go through it all till you understand it. I think the way A2 works is that AS is the building blocks, so if you have bad foundation you will not be able to understand A2.

Most of all, continue working hard and lets all pray our hard work pays off in the end.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The RAR)
    How are you finding Geography? Out of Bio and Comp Sci I am finding Geography really challenging simply because of the lack of past papers, the spec has changed a lot
    What exam board are you doing for Geog?
    I feel like it's okay but very case-study and content heavy, there's a lot of info to remember but I feel like I'm doing okay.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I'm not giving up so easily but it's a little disheartening to see the bad grades I get even though I put in the effort in revising for them.

I don't really want to drop it, partially due to the fact that I didn't take Maths or Physics but I am considering it now tbh.
    Speak to a teacher if necessary, put some more hours, in, and again just make sure you're going over what you're getting wrong. I'm not gonna sugar coat it but if you're getting an E then you're either completely not understanding the content at all, in which case you should ask a teacher for more help, or aren't revising mate.

ReputationRep:
    What exam board are you doing for Geog?
    I feel like it's okay but very case-study and content heavy, there's a lot of info to remember but I feel like I'm doing okay.
    Edexcel and the book the teacher gave us isn't working

ReputationRep:
    Well imo, there's no point in making flash cards and doing exam papers if you do not understand the content. Have you tried youtube videos? When i struggled with chemistry, videos helped a lot because they teach it to you.

Overall, i think you need to start from all the stuff you did in Year 12 and go through it all till you understand it. I think the way A2 works is that AS is the building blocks, so if you have bad foundation you will not be able to understand A2.

Most of all, continue working hard and lets all pray our hard work pays off in the end.
    Oh gosh, I'm in Year 12, not Year 13

ReputationRep:
    Oh gosh, I'm in Year 12, not Year 13
    that's even better!!!! like others have said, i would suggest dropping one of your subjects. And you still have time to turn things around so don't worry

ReputationRep:
    Speak to a teacher if necessary, put some more hours, in, and again just make sure you're going over what you're getting wrong. I'm not gonna sugar coat it but if you're getting an E then you're either completely not understanding the content at all, in which case you should ask a teacher for more help, or aren't revising mate.
    Yeahhhh that's the problem I don't understand the content, I've asked the teacher for help but they don't really explain it very well. I've tried learning most of it on my own but it's not really making much sense ngl.

ReputationRep:
    that's even better!!!! like others have said, I would suggest dropping one of your subjects. And you still have time to turn things around so don't worry
    I'm just worried about my mocks I think, it's important mostly because the teachers are gonna decide what predicted grade they should give me that's why I'm stressing out

ReputationRep:
    So I took geog, psychology, bio, and chem.
    The only subjects I'm not failing are geog and psychology, I've been failing my bio and chem tests even though I try and revise as much as I can!

I'm really worried because I want to aim for Medicine, but the grades I've been getting (B-U's mostly E's and D's) are not good, I'm really anxious because I feel like I might fail my mocks as well and not get the desired predicted grade???
    I’m failing too
    I’m considering dropping out and self teaching the courses myself
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Yeahhhh that's the problem I don't understand the content, I've asked the teacher for help but they don't really explain it very well. I've tried learning most of it on my own but it's not really making much sense ngl.
    There's E Rintoul and dachemguy and others for Chemistry, and Biology is just memory really so you gotta chunk it down.

Also ask your friends for help since they can explain it on a level that's more familiar to you

ReputationRep:

I’d do some research into which ones but you can get into Med school with chem and psychology as your second science - if psychology and geog are your strongest then I wouldn’t advise to drop one of them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IDOZ)
    I’m failing too
    I’m considering dropping out and self teaching the courses myself
    I mean it's your choice but don't drop out and keep on trying! You'll probably end up doing well so don't worry

ReputationRep:
    I mean it's your choice but don't drop out and keep on trying! You'll probably end up doing well so don't worry
    I’m taking it to the end of the year, as that’s the time they kick people out of the school

ReputationRep:
    There's E Rintoul and dachemguy and others for Chemistry, and Biology is just memory really so you gotta chunk it down.

Also ask your friends for help since they can explain it on a level that's more familiar to you
    Thanks for the advice, I'll see if my friends will consider helping me out

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.