Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IDOZ)
    I’m taking it to the end of the year, as that’s the time they kick people out of the school
    They kick you out?? Are you sure they're just saying that to scare you?, my school usually say that but they never end up kicking people out even if they got U's (bearing in mind that this is a grammar school, so they're super strict)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S a i n t)
    I mostly use flashcards and go through exam papers but I feel like I just don't understand most of the things because my teacher doesn't really explain it well I've tried going over it on my own but without the basic understanding of things, I can't understand the other topics!

I wish I was still doing GCSE's right now tbh
    Really? I’ve applied for biology and psychology (aswell as Spanish) how do these two subjects go together? What is the workload like?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I mostly use flashcards and go through exam papers but I feel like I just don't understand most of the things because my teacher doesn't really explain it well I've tried going over it on my own but without the basic understanding of things, I can't understand the other topics!

I wish I was still doing GCSE's right now tbh
    i often find reading the section of the textbook on the subject that is going to be covered in the lesson before. so at least its not entirely new to you.

i would then write notes out on this section.

i would then condense to mindmaps (use colour to make it appealing and eyecatching).

then endless exam questions as i find this gets me used to exam technique and the papers so i dont feel so anxious in the exams

hope this helps xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beth286)
    Really? I’ve applied for biology and psychology (aswell as Spanish) how do these two subjects go together? What is the workload like?
    I mean biology applies a lot in Psychology, mostly because you learn about the brain and the neurons and stuff like that.

Biology, there's a lot to remember, pay attention at the very start and don't miss anything out because the stuff that you learn first is gonna continue and interlink with the other topics that you'll do in the future.

Psychology, there's a hella lot of case studies, too many case studies, and a lot fo 16 mark questions. Aside from that, I feel like it is a genuinely interesting subject, the first few topics are kinda boring but it might depend on what order you go in. You have to put a lot of work into it because there's a lot to remember like Biology.

ReputationRep:
    I mean biology applies a lot in Psychology, mostly because you learn about the brain and the neurons and stuff like that.

Biology, there's a lot to remember, pay attention at the very start and don't miss anything out because the stuff that you learn first is gonna continue and interlink with the other topics that you'll do in the future.

Psychology, there's a hella lot of case studies, too many case studies, and a lot fo 16 mark questions. Aside from that, I feel like it is a genuinely interesting subject, the first few topics are kinda boring but it might depend on what order you go in. You have to put a lot of work into it because there's a lot to remember like Biology.
    Would you recommend psychology? I did want to do it because it seems interesting and it’s always glamourised by everyone. Did you think the same? Is it even worth it or not??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cchick3)
    i often find reading the section of the textbook on the subject that is going to be covered in the lesson before. so at least its not entirely new to you.

i would then write notes out on this section.

i would then condense to mindmaps (use colour to make it appealing and eyecatching).

then endless exam questions as i find this gets me used to exam technique and the papers so i dont feel so anxious in the exams

hope this helps xxx
    I'll try doing those things, thank you for the advice! <3

ReputationRep:
    Would you recommend psychology? I did want to do it because it seems interesting and it’s always glamourised by everyone. Did you think the same? Is it even worth it or not??
    I feel like it is a good subject and I find it interesting, but it's not as glamorous as it seems, everyone seems to be gassing it up too much lmao.

Look through the content on the specs for psychology and see what they cover and if you'd be interested in it.

Don't worry though, focus on your GCSE's, get good grades and then you can worry about A-levels

ReputationRep:
    I'll try doing those things, thank you for the advice! <3

no worries!!
    hope it helps.

im sure youre gonna ace them xxx

ReputationRep:
    I feel like it is a good subject and I find it interesting, but it's not as glamorous as it seems, everyone seems to be gassing it up too much lmao.

Look through the content on the specs for psychology and see what they cover and if you'd be interested in it.

Don't worry though, focus on your GCSE's, get good grades and then you can worry about A-levels
    I hate all of my GCSEs they’re so boring and all so vague. I want to do biology and go into more depth and learn more things, interesting things about the human body (and I guess I have to be bothered about plants) and I want to do Spanish to learn about the culture and try and improve my speaking skills, where as at the moment they don’t go into any depth and it’s so vague and boring.

ReputationRep:
    I hate all of my GCSEs they’re so boring and all so vague. I want to do biology and go into more depth and learn more things, interesting things about the human body (and I guess I have to be bothered about plants) and I want to do Spanish to learn about the culture and try and improve my speaking skills, where as at the moment they don’t go into any depth and it’s so vague and boring.
    Give it some time, you'll finish your GCSE's soon, there is a lot of depth in the subjects but it might be a bit overwhelming at first ( at least for me and my friends it was )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The RAR)
    Edexcel and the book the teacher gave us isn't working
    I’m doing Edexcel Geography too for A-Levels and I’m finding it the opposite, it’s pretty good. What are you struggling with?

ReputationRep:
    Give it some time, you'll finish your GCSE's soon, there is a lot of depth in the subjects but it might be a bit overwhelming at first ( at least for me and my friends it was )
    Did it make you want to change your subjects? Are you happy you stayed with them? How long does it take to get used to the workload?? Sorry for all the questions aha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The RAR)
    Edexcel and the book the teacher gave us isn't working
    That's not good, have you asked your teacher for help and asked her if there are any questions that you can attempt etc?

I paid 80 pounds for my book deposit and I never even got my geog books

ReputationRep:
    Did it make you want to change your subjects? Are you happy you stayed with them? How long does it take to get used to the workload?? Sorry for all the questions aha
    Looool it's fine dw,

Biochem is kinda compulsory for Medicine so I had to take it, hopefully, I'll find bio and chem enjoyable soon

I'm still not used to the workload ngl, as I said before, I go to a top grammar school (not trying to be snobby or anything lmao) where the workload is kind of heavy and expectations are high not to mention the amount of competition there is in tests and stuff so I get stressed due to this and I feel overwhelmed easily. It really depends on the school I think eg: how much work they're giving out and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Looool it's fine dw,

Biochem is kinda compulsory for Medicine so I had to take it, hopefully, I'll find bio and chem enjoyable soon

I'm still not used to the workload ngl, as I said before, I go to a top grammar school (not trying to be snobby or anything lmao) where the workload is kind of heavy and expectations are high not to mention the amount of competition there is in tests and stuff so I get stressed due to this and I feel overwhelmed easily. It really depends on the school I think eg: how much work they're giving out and stuff.
    Oh no, but I guess when you’re competing against them in mini topic tests you get a feel of what it’s like to have exams with people who are at the top of education, whereas for me I go to a school where they have morals and want us to do well but unless you have your own drive and motivation you are going to get nowhere as the teachers spend the whole class dealing with students disputing the whole lesson then we learn nothing, so I have to teach myself outside of school with revision guides. Even though it may be hard, you’re really lucky, best of luck on your exams and subjects I’m sure if you keep at it you will smash it

ReputationRep:
    Oh no, but I guess when you’re competing against them in mini topic tests you get a feel of what it’s like to have exams with people who are at the top of education, whereas for me I go to a school where they have morals and want us to do well but unless you have your own drive and motivation you are going to get nowhere as the teachers spend the whole class dealing with students disputing the whole lesson then we learn nothing, so I have to teach myself outside of school with revision guides. Even though it may be hard, you’re really lucky, best of luck on your exams and subjects I’m sure if you keep at it you will smash it
    That's true!
    To be honest, it's good that you don't rely on the teachers for GCSEs because most of the content you can learn by yourself. When you go to do A levels, pester your teachers to get extra help and keep on asking questions lmao

Thanks, Beth, I hope that you'll do well on your GCSE's and do the A-level subjects that you would like to do! xx

ReputationRep:
    So I took geog, psychology, bio, and chem ( + EPQ but that's going to end soon, THANK THE LORDS :yeah:)
    The only subjects I'm not failing are geog and psychology, I've been failing my bio and chem tests even though I try and revise as much as I can!

I'm really worried because I want to aim for Medicine, but the grades I've been getting (B-U's mostly E's and D's) are not good, I'm really anxious because I feel like I might fail my mocks as well and not get the desired predicted grade???
    I don't think my comment sent first time, but I just wanted to say please don't worry!

When I studied a levels I did psychology, chemistry, geography and English lit. Chemistry is so hard!!

What I want to say is don't take things to heart about mock exams, the main idea about them is so that you are more relaxed about the real thing and to panic those people who haven't been trying- which isn't you!

Ask for help if you need it, teachers want to help. Maybe set up a study group of you and a few other students in the subjects you're struggling in and you can all explain things to each other.

I also want to say mock exam results aren't everything! I'm sure you'll do amazingly! I got E,E,D, U in my mock exams and I ended up getting BBC and I'm a third year university student now! Anything is possible.

I know medicine is incredibly competitive but anything is possible! In our school the highest marks someone got in their chemistry exam was a grade C (this was a really clever boy) he ended up resitting it and is now at Oxford studying Biomedical sciences.

I hope I've helped good luck with everything!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophhFrog)
    I don't think my comment sent first time, but I just wanted to say please don't worry!

When I studied a levels I did psychology, chemistry, geography and English lit. Chemistry is so hard!!

What I want to say is don't take things to heart about mock exams, the main idea about them is so that you are more relaxed about the real thing and to panic those people who haven't been trying- which isn't you!

Ask for help if you need it, teachers want to help. Maybe set up a study group of you and a few other students in the subjects you're struggling in and you can all explain things to each other.

I also want to say mock exam results aren't everything! I'm sure you'll do amazingly! I got E,E,D, U in my mock exams and I ended up getting BBC and I'm a third year university student now! Anything is possible.

I know medicine is incredibly competitive but anything is possible! In our school the highest marks someone got in their chemistry exam was a grade C (this was a really clever boy) he ended up resitting it and is now at Oxford studying Biomedical sciences.

I hope I've helped good luck with everything!
    Woooww, that's incredible that you improved so much! Well done!
    Thank you for the reassurance, hopefully, i'll stop stressing about this xx

ReputationRep:
    Woooww, that's incredible that you improved so much! Well done!
    Thank you for the reassurance, hopefully, i'll stop stressing about this xx
    Thanks so much! I hated a levels so much! I ended up panicking so much I told my form tutor that I didn't want to go to university (just because I was so scared of not getting in)

I didn't understand anything but eventually everything started to fall into place and I'm sure you'll feel the same.

A levels are so hard! I've found it much harder than university study! Now I'm doing masters applications. If I can do it anyone can

Hope you're feeling okay. Xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheAlchemistress)
    I’m doing Edexcel Geography too for A-Levels and I’m finding it the opposite, it’s pretty good. What are you struggling with?
    Mainly at answering those long long questions worth 12 marks for the Tectonics and the 12 mark and 16 mark questions for your chosen topics, I am doing coasts

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.