Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I live in London and currently finding it very difficult to choose whether to move out for uni or not. I've applied to do Chemical Engineering.

I preferably want to live in London, but the London unis I've applied to aren't very appealing in this course and just seem quite lacklustre in general. (One of them just started the ChemEng course only 1 year ago, so its completely new there). Although, I do really enjoy the city life and will be able to save so much money as I could stay at home instead of uni halls, I don't mind living with my family.

However, I visited University of Nottingham today and I loved the course and many other things about the university; the people, the teachers, the general feel/environment. It's just so far from London and I'm not too sure if I'm ready to really move out and start new in a completely different place for 4 years. Also I've heard with this course, its super hard to work alongside studies, so it'll be quite a challenge to fund myself independently when it comes to rent and bills and food etc? (I also come from a lower class/socioeconomic background - family dont really have much money etc.)

Does anyone here regret moving out for uni or not? Is it worth it? Any general advice or information would greatly be appreciated! Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Go for the course. You need motivation to get through uni because there aren’t teachers like there are in school/college running after you and spoon feeding you so you must be self-motivated. If you’re not enjoying the course, the motivation just won’t be there
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by R2-D2)
    I live in London and currently finding it very difficult to choose whether to move out for uni or not. I've applied to do Chemical Engineering.

I preferably want to live in London, but the London unis I've applied to aren't very appealing in this course and just seem quite lacklustre in general. (One of them just started the ChemEng course only 1 year ago, so its completely new there). Although, I do really enjoy the city life and will be able to save so much money as I could stay at home instead of uni halls, I don't mind living with my family.

However, I visited University of Nottingham today and I loved the course and many other things about the university; the people, the teachers, the general feel/environment. It's just so far from London and I'm not too sure if I'm ready to really move out and start new in a completely different place for 4 years. Also I've heard with this course, its super hard to work alongside studies, so it'll be quite a challenge to fund myself independently when it comes to rent and bills and food etc? (I also come from a lower class/socioeconomic background - family dont really have much money etc.)

Does anyone here regret moving out for uni or not? Is it worth it? Any general advice or information would greatly be appreciated! Thank you.
    If you like the course at Nottingham, then go for it! You'll be a lot more engaged with the material and ultimately, enjoy your studies more.

Are you aware of the Core Bursary at Nottingham? Might help with living costs etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potato456)
    Go for the course. You need motivation to get through uni because there aren’t teachers like there are in school/college running after you and spoon feeding you so you must be self-motivated. If you’re not enjoying the course, the motivation just won’t be there
    That's true, just the idea of moving out and collecting a sh*t ton of debt is scaring me lol. For 4 whole years too ahhhhh, I'm just fearing the possibility of me not being able to cope living out by myself and how my mental wellbeing is going to end up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Cow)
    If you like the course at Nottingham, then go for it! You'll be a lot more engaged with the material and ultimately, enjoy your studies more.

Are you aware of the Core Bursary at Nottingham? Might help with living costs etc.
    Thank you so much, I didnt know about this Bursary!

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.