Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    If anyone wants to read the boring bit:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Once upon a time, I read A LOT of books. Loads, the library would see me everyday, reading all sorts: classics, thrillers, biographies, journals, mystery, horror, chick-lit, action and adventure, romance, drama, stand-alone series, series, stand alones... etc You name it, I was an avid reader. :rofl:
    I could never choose "my favourite book". (Lies: The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett earned that title)
    The number of books re-read over and over :lol:

I remember at age 6/7 I was reading books from the teenagers section as I'd read all the childrens' books :rolleyes: That's when the librarian suggested I reserve books so I can find a wider range in the other libraries around.

Wish I had logged all the books I'd read somewhere.

Not sure when exactly I stopped reading, now I read here and there. I'm happy to say that it's not a dead hobby.

I'm excited to log all the books in one place, where I can spoiler it too, it'll tell me a lot about my current self

Not a challenge, just would be interesting for me to see.

So far since I started this, I've read:
    Spoiler:
    Show

#1: SMART by Kim Slater
    #2: COOKIE by Jacqueline Wilson
    #3: MY NOT SO PERFECT LIFE by Sophie Kinsella
    #4: THE LITTLE BOOKSHOP OF PROMISES by Debbie Macomber
    #5: THE LITTLE TEASHOP OF LOST AND FOUND by Trisha Ashley
    #6 13 HOURS by Narinder Dhami
    #7 AND THE MOUNTAINS ECHOED by Khaled Hosseinu
    #8 THEODORE BOONE THE ACTIVIST by John Grisham
    #9 UNFORGIVABLE by Joanna Chambers
    #10 CHRISTMAS FROM HELL by R.L. Mathewson
    #11 FIRE AND BRIMSTONE by R.L Mathewson
    #12 DELECTABLE by R.L Mathewson

Currently reading
    Spoiler:
    Show

The next neighbour from hell book

Pending
    Spoiler:
    Show

Irrisistible R.L Mathewson. Need to know what happens to Melanie. It's obvs she'll get with Adrian at the end, but 1. They hate each other 2. Carrying his child. He doesn't want one 3. He doesn't know at all. Just need to know how it plays out, only know Melanie well because she'l Rebecca's friend who got with her boss, Lucifer or something. Tbh I read these for the laughs

ReputationRep:
    #1: SMART by Kim Slater
    Rating: 3/5
    My thoughts:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    It was a good read. When I read this, I was going through some things and the book spoke to me. It had many deep messages but it a light manner and a kids way. Probably because it is a children's book.
    It took me absolutely ages to read such a short book, wasn't so gripping. Besides the main character, Keiran, I don't feel as though the other characters were developed enough.
    In short, Keiran is a child with possibly down's syndrome, who tries to solve the mystery of the murder of a homeless old man.

What will happen after the book has ended?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Amazing artistic skills, the kid will go far in life and say, 'I was inspired by L.S Lowry'. The mother will eventually heal again, but I think I'll keep her single. She will find a job and begin some studies too.
    The grandmother of Keiran, will pass on her wise knowledge to both of them, and will be missed dearly but treasured in Keirans memories for life- ofc through his paintings and drawings. They'll buy a dog.
    The step brother could go either ways. Either he'll reform or end up in jail.
    The step father, he remains as horrid as ever and will somehow find himself rotting away the rest of his life in prison. He was caught in a drug scandal. Some people never change.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starfab)
    Spoiler:
    Show

Once upon a time, I read A LOT of books. Loads, the library would see me everyday, reading all sorts: classics, thrillers, biographies, journals, mystery, horror, chick-lit, action and adventure, romance, drama, stand-alone series, series, stand alones... etc You name it, I was an avid reader. :rofl:
    I could never choose "my favourite book". (Lies: The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett earned that title)

I remember at age 6/7 I was reading books from the teenagers section as I'd read all the childrens' books :rolleyes: That's when the librarian suggested I reserve books so I can find a wider range in the other libraries around.

Not sure when exactly I stopped reading, now I read here and there. I'm happy to say that it's not a dead hobby.

I'm excited to log all the books in one place, where I can spoiler it too, it'll tell me a lot about my current self

I wish I had that kind of enthusiasm for reading, I actually hate reading 🤔I dunno if I'm just stupid but I'm a pretty slow reader and when I'm reading my mind often drifts away from the actual story and after like 3 or 4 pages I forget what I just read :lol:

Did you ever have that problem?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ninja Squirrel)
    I wish I had that kind of enthusiasm for reading, I actually hate reading 🤔I dunno if I'm just stupid but I'm a pretty slow reader and when I'm reading my mind often drifts away from the actual story and after like 3 or 4 pages I forget what I just read :lol:

Did you ever have that problem?
    No, when I used to read, I felt like I was all the characters. That kind of enthusiasm wasn't always so great :lol:

Now it is sometimes a problem, yes.

ReputationRep:
    I wish you the very best of luck on your reading journey.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Less(e/o)n)
    I wish you the very best of luck on your reading journey.
    Why, thank you.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    I wished I could read. But I can’t read.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Night King)
    I wished I could read. But I can’t read.
    It's okay, you can type.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    It's okay, you can type.
    Yes, end at leest I can spell to.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Spoiler:
    Show

OMG STARFAB! :gah: :woo:

Looking forward to your posts

ReputationRep:
    Can I recommend books?

I love reading so much. I had to buy a new bookcase the other day to fit all my books :innocent:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Night King)
    Yes, end at leest I can spell to.
    :rofl: Man, as long as it's understandable.
    (Original post by Michiyo)
    OMG STARFAB! :gah: :woo:

Looking forward to your posts
    Thanks

(Original post by euphrosyne)
    Can I recommend books?

I love reading so much. I had to buy a new bookcase the other day to fit all my books :innocent:
    :yep: you may recommend books. Can't promise I'll read them all but I will try to read some when you do.

ReputationRep:
    #2: COOKIE by Jacqueline Wilson
    Kid's book
    Rating: 0.5/5
    My thoughts:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    It was waay too baby-ish for me. Why did I read it? I've read every single Jacqueline Wilson book ever since I read "The Suitcase Kid." That book was my all time favourite Jacqueline Wilson book and I could still read it and enjoy it. Somehow, I missed this book of hers, so I read it now. By the end, I wanted to murder rabbits and cartoons and Lily too. I renamed her Lily
    In short, Lily loves to watch a toddlers show which has a rabbit in it. The father is unpredictable and tends to dictate her mother's life. Abusive. They eventually walk out on him and make a life near the seaside at a place called "the rabbits cove" or something. It would be a good book for children aged - 8.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Lily, the main character, grows up a bit and features in another Jacqueline Wilson story.

ReputationRep:
    #3: My not so perfect life by Sophie Kinsella
    Chick-lit
    Rating: 1.5/5
    My thoughts:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I was disappointed with this. Usually Sophie Kinsella's books have been amongst my favourite chick-lits, e.g. Can you Keep a secret, The undomestic goddess, I have your number. These, although cringey with typical endings and story lines, were a fun read and managed to make me laugh. However this book, failed on that front. It wasn't always too typical, (yes there was still the typical girl meets boy, fall in love, at the end they're finally together) but without the usual sense of humour. The morals etc behind the story were good though, some things were quite relatable.
    In short, Katie tries to make it on her own in London, tries to portray the perfect life on instagram, really optimistic. Unfortunately, she's let go at work and goes back to the countryside, her home town. There she starts up a business with her parents, it's a success and her old boss ends up there for a holdiay. (some sort of camping business). Here, she learns that the boss isn't leading the perfect life either, eventually they become close and she save the job of the boss.

Spoiler:
    Show
    I think I don't need to say. The end of the story let us know what will happen. It's obviously a happily ever after, without using those exact words.
    [/QUOTE]

ReputationRep:
    #3: My not so perfect life by Sophie Kinsella Chick-lit
    Rating: 1.5/5
    My thoughts:
    Spoiler:
    Show

I was disappointed with this. Usually Sophie Kinsella's books have been amongst my favourite chick-lits, e.g. Can you Keep a secret, The undomestic goddess, I have your number. These, although cringey with typical endings and story lines, were a fun read and managed to make me laugh. However this book, failed on that front. It wasn't always too typical, (yes there was still the typical girl meets boy, fall in love, at the end they're finally together) but without the usual sense of humour. The morals etc behind the story weee good though, some things were quite relatable.
    In short, Katie tries to make it on her own in London, tries to protray the perfect life on instagram, really optimistic. Unfortunately, she's let go at work and goes back to the countryside, her home town. There she starts up a business with her parents, it's a success and her old boss ends up there for a holdiay. (some sort of camping business). Here, she kearns that the boss isn't leading the perfect life either, eventually they become close and she save the job of the boss.

Spoiler:
    Show

I think I don't need to say. The end of the story let us know what will happen. It's obviously a happily ever after, without using those exact words.

[/QUOTE]

How many pages is your typical book and how long does it take you to read it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ninja Squirrel)
    How many pages is your typical book and how long does it take you to read it?
    I currently don't have a typical book.
    I read fast though. I end up skimming then have to force myself to slow down and enjoy it. 😂

ReputationRep:
    :yep: you may recommend books. Can't promise I'll read them all but I will try to read some when you do.
    In that case, I recommend 'The Handmaid's Tale' by Margaret Atwood. It's a dystopian and so can be quite depressing, but oh my it's simply amazing.

I look forward to seeing what else you read

ReputationRep:
    In that case, I recommend 'The Handmaid's Tale' by Margaret Atwood. It's a dystopian and so can be quite depressing, but oh my it's simply amazing.

I look forward to seeing what else you read
    I've read that, it was enjoyably depressing :lol:

ReputationRep:
    I've read that, it was enjoyably depressing :lol:
    Oh no :lol: it is definitely one of my favourites! :innocent:

Okay my next favourite, The Great Gatsby. You can't go wrong with Fitzgerald!

ReputationRep:
    Oh no :lol: it is definitely one of my favourites! :innocent:

Okay my next favourite, The Great Gatsby. You can't go wrong with Fitzgerald!
    :rofl: It was a while ago, but I remember thinking it was worth the read.
    Let me see if I can find that at my library and I'll read that. Thanks

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.