Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    #4: The little bookshop of promises by Debbie Macomber
    Romance (?) Chick-lit (?)
    Rating: 3.5/5
    My thoughts:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I need to stop sighing at how typical the book was, every character had a happy (oh I'm so in love) ending. Actually credits to the author, there was one character who didn't.
    Struggled to keep up with which character was who, kept having to flick pages to go back to their first mention. Well, it was a continuation of some characters from 'Heart of Texas', so I'm not surprised I was a tad lost at times. If I'm looking for happy endings, I know what to read. And lets face it, if a fictional book cannot have a happy ending when it is a figment of our imaginations, then what can? We all want happy endings, even if you know it doesn't happen in real life asit dies in books.
    Although there were many characters, they all seemed very well developed in the story, so had the feels the characters even if I was muddled at times.
    In short, many of the characters had previously or have just moved to 'Promise' in 'Texas', a tiny town where happy endings come true. Summed up in a sentence.

What will happen after the book has ended?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    The Author's covered it, another happily ever after.

ReputationRep:
    I want to read a book that I end up rating as 5/5 or at least 4.5/5

ReputationRep:
    #5: The little teashop of lost and found by Trisha Ashley
    Romance (it says at the front)
    Rating: 4/5 (though rn I'd say 3)
    My thoughts:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    We all know what happens, typical love story. At least it was creative. In short, a foundling Alice goes back to where she was abandoned by her mother, finds herself a family and falls for the guy..It wasn't as typical as I've put it :lol: It's an ok read, I change the ratings according to my mood. Though, Trisha Ashleys books have a lot more humour whoch I like.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Yet another happily ever after.

ReputationRep:
    #6: 13 hours by Narinder Dhami
    Rating: 4.5/5
    I'll leave you with the blurb as I don't want to spoil it
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Your home was the one place you felt safe.
    Now it’s your prison.

You were invisible.
    Now your every move is monitored by masked strangers.

You looked after your mum, your best friend.
    Now you barely know her.

Everything can change in thirteen hours.

What happens:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Annie is a young carer for her mother whi has agoraphobia. When supposed terrorists break into their attic, she discovers secrets about her past which changes everything

ReputationRep:
    #7: And the mountains echoed by Khaled Hosseinu
    Rating: 1/5

My thoughts:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Depressing read, but not the best of Khaled Hosseinu, I preferred the Kite runner (which was also depressing ifrc). I found I couldn't keep up with the pace of the story, everything was just everywhere. Shifting through times and present and past tenses should be with smoothness, this felt too apart from each other. The beginning I clicked with, then the whole story fell apart. I just didn't like it.
    A short summary, Abdullah and his sister Pari, are seperated as children. The rest is meh. There wasn't even a happy ending!

There's no what happens next, I killed off the rest of the characters.

ReputationRep:
    #8: Theodore Boone The activist by John Grisham
    Rating: 0.5/5
    My thoughts:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Well, I skim read it, in such a way that I retained nothing. It wasn't appealing, the other Theo Boone books were better, could've rated the first one a 5 probably.
    Basically the only interesting bit was that it touched on the right of eminent domain or as it's called in the UK , the compulsory purchase law (if I have this correct). Then the rest of the book was just meh.

Spoiler:
    Show

Can't tell you, see I didn't 'feel' the characters, couldn't get in the story. Surely, the author covered it

ReputationRep:
    #9: Unforgiveable by Joanna Chambers (Historical Romance?)
    Rating: 1/5 I'm feeling kind and generous. Any normal day would be around less than 0.5. It's the story line, the characters

What happens then you'll get why 0.5:
    Spoiler:
    Show

The 17 girl who'd just recovered feom the brink of death and so looks physically unwell thinks the guy she is marrying is doing so willingly. They fulfill their marital duties on the wedding night, guy acts like a d1ck girl keeps shut, then he leaves her far away in the countryside for 5 years. She comes back to London, unrecognisable because she's now a 'beautiful young woman', woes the rake to bed. Disappears, finds out shes preg, calls him. 'OH this was my wife' blah blah they take ages to make up. Even the scenes didn't make up for it. :facepalm:

Sorry not my cup of tea, but it sure calmed me.

ReputationRep:
    #10: Christmas from hell by R.L. Mathewson Romance
    Rating: 2/5 Good for the laughs.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Book has some hilarious bits that had me laughing, but the story line was extremely silly to me. And just too many sex scenes, like o-kay get on with it
    But it's a neighbour from book, stand-alone series book, got to read them all. The characters are so stupidly funny, this book is not as good as the previous ones in the series, as far as I can remember, but I did read them aaaages ago
    I mean I cannot tell you the names ofthe characters, it just flew over me head :dontknow: Nor the story line properly tbh, I just remember laughing and I remember getting irritated when some things were dragging. Not a bad read, pretty light.

ReputationRep:
    #11: Fire and brimstone by R.L. Mathewson Romance

Rating: 4/5 light, hilarious, found myself giggling and snorting most the way through. Don't read of you cannot take adult scenes.

ReputationRep:
    I’m the same. I used to love reading books. To the point were I could finish a book, the same day I borrowed it from the library 😳 but now I don’t have time with my A-levels but would love to start reading again 🎀 The Suitcase Kid is one of my favourites too as it’s one of the first books that I read and enjoyed (and Biff and Chip books) 🤭 If I were to recommend you books I would say read: Embassy Row-All Fall Down by Ally Carter and Just Listen by Sarah Dessen. Can’t really remember the story line clearly but I know I enjoyed them 🤷🏽💕

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 22, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.