• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 34
Size:  68.8 KB

so basically I need help in C and D

for C
    they told the line 2 is parallel to L1 so direction will be same but what will be the points
    r=(?)+u(direction)

for D
    I have to use modulus but how to find B coordinates ?It is one mark but still I got stuck
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Qer)

so basically I need help in C and D

for C
    they told the line 2 is parallel to L1 so direction will be same but what will be the points
    r=(?)+u(direction)

for D
    I have to use modulus but how to find B coordinates ?It is one mark but still I got stuck
    Yes the direction is the same. You only need one point to define the line since you know the direction. You know it passes through B, so find its coordinates since you know its related to the point A, namely \overrightarrow{OB} = 3\overrightarrow{OA}
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    Yes the direction is the same. You only need one point to define the line since you know the direction. You know it passes through B, so find its coordinates since you know its related to the point A, namely \overrightarrow{OB} = 3\overrightarrow{OA}
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    so if A was for instance ( 2, -3, 8 ) then B would be ( 6, -9, 24 )
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    can you guys also help me in part e
    Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 25
Size:  4.5 KB

I draw a diagram something like that
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Qer)
    can you guys also help me in part e

I draw a diagram something like that
    It says that \overrightarrow{OX} and l_2 are perpendicular. This means that the angle between the vector \overrightarrow{OX} and the direction vector of l_2 is 90, which hence implies that the dot product between the two is 0.

You know the dir. vector already.
    To get the vector \overrightarrow{OX}, just begin by saying that X has general coordinates \overrightarrow{OX}=(3+5\lambda, -4\lambda, -3 -3\lambda) for some \lambda \in \mathbb{R} since it lies on l_2.
    So, just use the dot product condition mentioned earlier to get the value of \lambda that defines X, then just find the length of that vector.

A DIFFERENT APPROACH would be to find cosine of the acute angle \alpha between the line l_2 and vector \overrightarrow{OB}. Then use the fact that |\overrightarrow{OA}| = |\overrightarrow{OB}| \sin \alpha (seen clearly from your diagram, in the right-angled triangle OXB)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    It says that \overrightarrow{OX} and l_2 are perpendicular. This means that the angle between the vector \overrightarrow{OX} and the direction vector of l_2 is 90, which hence implies that the dot product between the two is 0.

You know the dir. vector already.
    To get the vector \overrightarrow{OX}, just begin by saying that X has general coordinates \overrightarrow{OX}=(3+5\lambda, -4\lambda, -3 -3\lambda) for some \lambda \in \mathbb{R} since it lies on l_2.
    So, just use the dot product condition mentioned earlier to get the value of \lambda that defines X, then just find the length of that vector.

A DIFFERENT APPROACH would be to find cosine of the acute angle \alpha between the line l_2 and vector \overrightarrow{OB}. Then use the fact that |\overrightarrow{OA}| = |\overrightarrow{OB}| \sin \alpha (seen clearly from your diagram, in the right-angled triangle OXB)

thank you

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 18, 2018

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.