Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I decided to post just to get some general advice am not really expecting much.
    As the title suggests I’m ugly and I know looks are subjective and everything but I am pretty damn ugly. By this I don’t mean just average looking or some specific body part I mean the whole of my body is considered “ugly” in society. This includes just having an ugly face, my body proportions being completely misplaced, having really bad acne and everything.
    I’ve been bullied since primary for my looks and everything and it may have been that which caused my depression. I’ve had depression for about 3 years and have tried pretty much every form of treatment but nothings helped.
    In terms of personality, without seeming arrogant I would say I’m just an average nice guy who knows what’s right and wrong and takes care of family and friends etc. When people first meet me I can tell from their expression they think I’m strange and ugly but when I connect with someone then we get on quite well. So I guess personality can sometimes override looks but not in relationships.
    In terms of relationships, I have never got anywhere and girls won’t even give me the chance to show what kind of guy I am. I’m either friend zoned or ignored so I’m fairly sure I’ll end up alone in life. I try to treat everyone nicely and want to show people my personality but I don’t get given the chance from girls. I don’t blame girls and I’m not angry, why would someone want to be with a guy who’s bad looking and not nice to look at. I get it but it still hurts.
    So I guess I’m just wondering whether you all think I should keep searching for a girl or just keep my head down and pursue life alone?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

In the same situation. Am 22 and never had any female contact. Just have to live with it best you can and hope one comes along eventually, if not then oh well, we come into this world alone and we die alone. The only piece of advice anyone can offer you is to stay in fit condition and live your life to the fullest.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Anonjones4000)
    Hi, I decided to post just to get some general advice am not really expecting much.
    As the title suggests I’m ugly and I know looks are subjective and everything but I am pretty damn ugly. By this I don’t mean just average looking or some specific body part I mean the whole of my body is considered “ugly” in society. This includes just having an ugly face, my body proportions being completely misplaced, having really bad acne and everything.
    I’ve been bullied since primary for my looks and everything and it may have been that which caused my depression. I’ve had depression for about 3 years and have tried pretty much every form of treatment but nothings helped.
    In terms of personality, without seeming arrogant I would say I’m just an average nice guy who knows what’s right and wrong and takes care of family and friends etc. When people first meet me I can tell from their expression they think I’m strange and ugly but when I connect with someone then we get on quite well. So I guess personality can sometimes override looks but not in relationships.
    In terms of relationships, I have never got anywhere and girls won’t even give me the chance to show what kind of guy I am. I’m either friend zoned or ignored so I’m fairly sure I’ll end up alone in life. I try to treat everyone nicely and want to show people my personality but I don’t get given the chance from girls. I don’t blame girls and I’m not angry, why would someone want to be with a guy who’s bad looking and not nice to look at. I get it but it still hurts.
    So I guess I’m just wondering whether you all think I should keep searching for a girl or just keep my head down and pursue life alone?
    Really sorry this is how you feel! I really do believe there is someone out there for everyone and people who don't care about looks but see personality. I wouldn't say you should keep searching as love often takes us by surprise when we are not actively looking forward it, but don't give up and give it more time

ReputationRep:
    In my experience 99% of the people can become average looking if they try. I am 21 year old male, well educated, at least average looking, social and if I may say so pretty popular. And I am still a virgin, now even kissed a girl, and at this point I have stopped trying, it will happen when it will happen, it's just not that important to me right now.

So keep your chin up, grow as an individual, and don't think too much about being ugly and dying alone

ReputationRep:
    get some surgery or become rich first

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure you probably heard that before, but what some ppl find ugly could be beautiful for some others. Keep on smiling, be independent, do what makes you happy. Think more about your success in future than your look. I bet when the time is right, the right girl will approach you. Sometimes you just have to let some stuff go if you want other to come. I'm a girl and I automatically find a guy attractive when he has a smile and is funny, no matter what they look like.

ReputationRep:
    You may think you are ugly but honestly I’m sure you’re not No one is ugly and there will be someone out there for you. You seem like a great person and with a lovely personality you’ll meet someone it’s just a matter of time. Please don’t feel horrible about yourself because you’re great and it will get better dw.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest there is no mileage in branding yourself ugly. Firstly attractiveness has many dimensions. Secondly dating is difficult all round and I think it is only if you are in the well above average range (which most people are not) that opportunites fall in front of you. So the secret is to work on your weakness, play to your strengths and to have resilience. This is not to say it is easy but I think things work out in the end of you keep trying to make your own breaks.

ReputationRep:
    The ugliest boy in my year of school was also the vainest. He thought he was wonderful in every respect. He did OK in terms of getting girlfriends.

A young man with a great body will be physically attractive enough for most women to be happy to sleep with him, even if he has a face like a bag of spanners. A great body does not necessarily mean you have to have a body builder physique. A nice tight arse and lack of a beer gut is enough.

People with negative outlooks are unattractive.

So, anonjones. Change 2 things:

1 cut out all negativity from your life. Focus on the positives instead.
    2. Exercise for 10 minutes every other day at a pulse rate of 130 - to get and keep yourself in good physical shape. And swap a little bit of your junk food for fresh fruit and veg.

ReputationRep:
    People here will tell you that ”oh I’m sure you’re not ugly” or ”oh I’m sure you’ll find someone”. That may or may not be true, but it’s completely and utterly useless advice that does nothing to actually help you with IMPROVING what you are struggling with. So let me tell you something useful and try to actually help you improve your looks:

Anyone can become at least somewhat attractive. You just have to make the change happen.

Exercise, go to the gym, eat healthy. In less than a year you should be able to obtain a decent enough physique. This is by far the biggest thing you can do. At the very least, make sure you are not fat, but fit.

Once you have a nice body, do a style overhaul, get nice clothes THAT FIT. Get a good hairstyle. Girls love that.

As for acne, go see a dermatologist and/or get some scincare products. Quit using dairy products as it seems to be a trigger for many. There isn’t an acne that can’t be cured. For the time beinh, you can get men’s make up to hide the blemishes.

All this in itself will boots your confidence tenfold, but also educate yourslef in how to appear confident(body language etc).

This is just the short version though, EDUCATE YOURSELF. So so many youtube channels for example are dedicated to stuff like this. 90% of your features are something you can change.

How do I know all of this? BECAUSE iI DID IT. I used to be out of shape, have acne and be the most awkward guy. But I changed all of that, and you can too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vmex)
    I'm sure you probably heard that before, but what some ppl find ugly could be beautiful for some others. Keep on smiling, be independent, do what makes you happy. Think more about your success in future than your look. I bet when the time is right, the right girl will approach you. Sometimes you just have to let some stuff go if you want other to come. I'm a girl and I automatically find a guy attractive when he has a smile and is funny, no matter what they look like.
    Totes agree with this

ReputationRep:
    I think confidence is a major factor. To me it’s not really a guys looks that get my attention it’s weather he comes across as confident. I would choose a guy who is intelligent and able to make me laugh over a guy who looked fine but had the personality of a rock any day. I definitely agree with Thomazo, all of the things he’s said would definitely help you feel more confident and better about yourself

ReputationRep:
    Hi, honestly I nearly cried reading your post. I'm so sorry you feel this way and it makes me sad that you can be made to feel this way because of how others have treated you.

I've say to my mum that I'm dissatisfied with how I look as I'm sure a lot of people do and the best piece of advice she has given me is that in order for anyone to ever love me, I first need to love myself and that is the same for you!

You shouldn't try to change the way you look just because you think it's what others want but if you feel like you're unhappy then there are things you can do! Go to gym if you don't like your body shape, exercise for a start can increase your mood! If you think you have really bad acne research up some good creams/face wash or go to your doctor about it and ask for some antibiotics! When you have a bit of spare money next go and buy a few new clothes, stuff that really make you feel good and that you feel confident in!

I'm by no way suggesting that you need to change how you look, but personally I've found through taking control and feeling as though I have an influence over how I look and an ability to change it has helped me. Doing these things could make you feel more confident and positive towards yourself! And believe me, people can always tell how you feel about yourself. If you walk into a room feeling confident and happy with yourself in front of others then you are bound to look good!

We're not all going to be models (I certainly am not!) And a lot of the media today warps our perception of attractiveness in terms of facial features and body type but everyone can change their appearance slightly if they so wish. There is 100% somebody out there for everyone and if you are accepting of someone too for any flaws they may have then odds are that they will accept and love you for who you are too!

I am sure you're not ugly but I know saying that doesn't really help. So if it's really how you feel then you really need to do something so that you can feel more confident and love yourself, even if that is through developing hobbies and interests and feeling more confident in your personality and who you are.

Remember like my mum says, nobody can love you, until you can love yourself 😉

Please try to stay positive, think of two positives for every negative and just don't be so hard on yourself and put yourself under pressure!

Good luck!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 18, 2018
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.