The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Scroll to see replies

Original post by devstudies20
Has the postgrad matriculation date been announced ? Do students matriculate by department or colleges?

College, on whatever date that College decides.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Hey,

I am a bit confused about the Queens’ College forms that new graduate students must complete and submit. The graduate freshers info page says that the forms can be returned by email, but the College Financial Guarantee Form says it must be sent by post, along with the required documentary evidence, to the Graduate Administrator. Has anybody had this form and the corresponding documentary evidence accepted when sent by email? Or is it necessary to send them by post?

Thanks!
Original post by PhilKjartan
Hey,

I am a bit confused about the Queens’ College forms that new graduate students must complete and submit. The graduate freshers info page says that the forms can be returned by email, but the College Financial Guarantee Form says it must be sent by post, along with the required documentary evidence, to the Graduate Administrator. Has anybody had this form and the corresponding documentary evidence accepted when sent by email? Or is it necessary to send them by post?

Thanks!

The Colleges tend to feel that the Financial Guarantee form is substantially more important than the rest of the forms. I suspect its as simple as they want you to do the printing and send hard copies they can keep on file about your ability to pay, but the rest can be sent electronically. However, if in doubt or there's a problem, just contact the Queens graduate admissions officer on Monday.
Original post by threeportdrift
The Colleges tend to feel that the Financial Guarantee form is substantially more important than the rest of the forms. I suspect its as simple as they want you to do the printing and send hard copies they can keep on file about your ability to pay, but the rest can be sent electronically. However, if in doubt or there's a problem, just contact the Queens graduate admissions officer on Monday.

Thank you for your response.

Do Colleges usually require to see the originals of certificates of confirmation of external awards? I’m worried that the College Financial Guarantee Form is supposed to be sent by post because they want to see the originals of the corresponding documentary evidence (i.e. external award certificate). Whether this is what they want is not clear. But I’d have a big problem if it is, because I need to hand in my original external award certificate for my visa application next week.
Original post by PhilKjartan
Thank you for your response.

Do Colleges usually require to see the originals of certificates of confirmation of external awards? I’m worried that the College Financial Guarantee Form is supposed to be sent by post because they want to see the originals of the corresponding documentary evidence (i.e. external award certificate). Whether this is what they want is not clear. But I’d have a big problem if it is, because I need to hand in my original external award certificate for my visa application next week.

Doubt it, as all sorts of students needing the same visa would have the same problem every year. You need to ask the College, they all approach these things slightly differently. My College managed to accept the fact that the GAO had seen the evidence as enough evidence. For some reason your's doesn't, but they aren't likely to impose a condition which is incompatible with getting a visa and joining by the start of term - but you need to talk to them.
is matriculation mandatory?
Each College will tell it's students when matriculation is at some point during the joining process. For some Colleges it's a bigger deal, with a meal and gowns etc, in other's it's just a lecture about behaviour and signing a bit of paper. It is important to matriculate, but the date will be made clear at some point. As per everything, it all varies by College.
Original post by scholar1997
is matriculation mandatory?

Yes, it's the point at which you record that you've turned up and are registered for the course. You have to physically sign a document.
Hi, quick question/concern: I've been trying to resize my photo to match the required portrait dimensions before uploading it to my self-service account, but my technophobic self can't quite get it the right size without looking distorted. They said it "must" be 280 by 366 pixels in the self-service handbook, but is that rule enforced?

I mean, would it be okay to just send it how it is, and they resize it themselves? It's the last thing I need to do on my self-service account, and I just don't have time for this stress, lol.

Anyone else have photo issues?
Original post by kto_1990

Noooooo! Whatever you do, send a decent photo! They'll just use whatever you send and it is nigh on impossible to eradicate that original picture through your whole life at Cam! It will be on your ID card when you arrive, it will be on your Jackdaw records and everything will upload it. Do whatever you need to send a photo you can live with for the rest of your time in Cam - you have been warned!

:biggrin: :redface: :s-smilie: :colone: :u: :mad: :eek: :colondollar:
Haha, okay thanks for the heads up! :smile:
Noooooo! Whatever you do, send a decent photo! They'll just use whatever you send and it is nigh on impossible to eradicate that original picture through your whole life at Cam! It will be on your ID card when you arrive, it will be on your Jackdaw records and everything will upload it. Do whatever you need to send a photo you can live with for the rest of your time in Cam - you have been warned!

:biggrin: :redface: :s-smilie: :colone: :u: :mad: :eek: :colondollar:
Original post by MUC_221
Thank you!

It's Newnham.

o hey fellow future newnhamite
Reply 4931
I've submitted my transcript which exceeds the requirements of my offer, however, my online profile has been updated and says "Thank you for sending details of your academic result. Your prospective Department/Faculty is considering whether it is sufficient to meet the academic condition of your offer. For further information please refer to section 3.4.5 of the Offer Conditions Booklet.".

My transcript shows that I exceeded my needed entrance percentage by about 4% and section 3.4.5 of the Conditions Booklet references the section on what to do if you don't meet your entrance requirements... I'm going to call the office tomorrow, but should I be worried?
You shouldn’t be worried. That just tells you they’ve confirmed that they received the transcripts, but haven’t yet reviewed them. In other words, they have the transcripts, but they haven’t read what they say yet. The department will open the transcripts, verify you achieved the required results, tell the office that you have, and then the office will report that you’ve satisfied the requirement which will reflect on your profile.

No need to worry, just patiently let the beaurcratic process chug along at its pace.
Original post by Didag
I've submitted my transcript which exceeds the requirements of my offer, however, my online profile has been updated and says "Thank you for sending details of your academic result. Your prospective Department/Faculty is considering whether it is sufficient to meet the academic condition of your offer. For further information please refer to section 3.4.5 of the Offer Conditions Booklet.".

My transcript shows that I exceeded my needed entrance percentage by about 4% and section 3.4.5 of the Conditions Booklet references the section on what to do if you don't meet your entrance requirements... I'm going to call the office tomorrow, but should I be worried?
Hey everyone! I have a question

When do classes start? I’m very confused. The university website states that Michaelmas starts October 8th but the academic year begins Oct 1st. Also, does the semester end Dec 6th or 19th? Can I someone please explain the timeline?
Original post by farah_ag
Hey everyone! I have a question

When do classes start? I’m very confused. The university website states that Michaelmas starts October 8th but the academic year begins Oct 1st. Also, does the semester end Dec 6th or 19th? Can I someone please explain the timeline?

Welcome to Cambridge - no-one understands the timeline, so you are in a good starting point! I'll explain it as well as I can, but I've only been involved with the place for about 16 years, so I might not have it right yet.

The academic year always begins on 1 October, like Christmas is always on 25 December. You can safely ignore this fact (the academic year fact, not the date of Christmas!)

There are two types of term (there is no talk of this modern semester nonsense) - Term, and Full Term. Illogically, Full Term is shorter than Term, because... You can pretty safely ignore Term, except to note its dates get published and it's not the same as Full Term. Full Term is important to you - you have to 'keep term' and the term you have to keep is more or less the period of Full Term. So barring details you can worry about once you are there, you need to be in Cambridge during the dates of Full Term.

The administrative week in Cambridge starts on a Tuesday, because ... so obviously Full Term starts on a Tuesday.

The academic week, starts on a Thursday, because...so that's when you can expect the first lectures to start.

So roughly, this October, I'd expect -

People to start arriving on the weekend of 28 /29 Sep. All sorts of settling in activities, trips around town arranged by your MCR, shopping, opening a bank account, registering with a Doctor, making sure you've got your Raven log in and a working computer etc happen in the next week.

Then from Tue 8th, your Department to want to see you for various registration, safety, library use etc briefings, then on Thursday 10th the first lectures start.

I'm afraid there are always a few oddballs though, like a department that calls you in before 8th etc. So long as you are on email within the first few days, it will all work out.

This page explains it even more badly

https://www.cam.ac.uk/about-the-university/term-dates-and-calendars

This page explains it in a way that may cause serious damage to your health and well-being

https://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/univ/so/2018/chapter02-section10.html
(edited 4 years ago)
Hey, I was just wondering if that can be confirmed again? If I submit my documents now but the GAO only processes them in 2 weeks time, does that count as me not giving them enough time to process documents before the 31st of July deadline? Thank you (:

Yes, GAO delays don't count against your deadline.
Original post by E.jun
Hey, I was just wondering if that can be confirmed again? If I submit my documents now but the GAO only processes them in 2 weeks time, does that count as me not giving them enough time to process documents before the 31st of July deadline? Thank you (:

No, the 31 July deadline is for them to have received documents, not for them to have processed them as well - you have no control over that.

If there's anything you simply can't get by that time, because your institution doesn't produce them by that date, for example, then just tell the GAO when you will be able to provide them.
Reply 4937
Original post by Didag

Hello, where did it say this within the online profile, as in which page? E.g. was it in the status boxes that used to say 'college membership allocated'?
My 'Confirmed' heading at the top has yet to have a tick but when I click 'View conditions/comments' all the drop-downs have disappeared (before all were 'completed' except 'academic'), now I can't find them any more! By the way, which college did you get allocated to in the end? :smile:
I'm in a similar situation as most of you. I have met the conditions to apply and I am just waiting my academic section to move from outstanding to completed. However this is my question.

I did send my transcript through the HEAR service that my university provides. I actually got a notification that Cambridge has been accessed my transcript. It's been more than a week and i haven't heard back. Is that normal or I should call them. I though that my place would be confirmed by this time.
Hey, it took me about a week from sending the HEAR report to seeing the status change. They're pretty busy at the GAO at the moment so I wouldn't worry too much, especially if you have been notified that they have been accessed.
Original post by Zack197
I'm in a similar situation as most of you. I have met the conditions to apply and I am just waiting my academic section to move from outstanding to completed. However this is my question.

I did send my transcript through the HEAR service that my university provides. I actually got a notification that Cambridge has been accessed my transcript. It's been more than a week and i haven't heard back. Is that normal or I should call them. I though that my place would be confirmed by this time.

Latest

Trending

Trending