The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Scroll to see replies

Has anyone from Clare picked up their student card yet? When I accessed my email account after registering I found an email from July saying it’s ready for collection but that seems super early to me!
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by garbageavocado
Has anyone from Clare picked up their student card yet? When I accessed my email account after registering I found an email from July saying it’s ready for collection but that seems super early to me!

You usually pick it up from the Porters Lodge when you arrive at the start of term. If you are local to Cam though, it might be worth picking up just to start cutting through Kings etc!
(edited 4 years ago)
@threeportdrift Exactly why I went to check in the end, I live in Cambridge already and the cut through would be very useful :biggrin: that and being able to access the UL. For other Clare people, they seemed to have a stack ready for collection (once people have got the email about it I presume) though mine had been misplaced. Hopefully can pick it up soon!
(edited 4 years ago)
To those who did the language requirement and it is required for them to attend an in-sessional course: Where did you find the 'I accept condition' file? The link provided by GAO is not working xD Could someone send me that file?
Original post by MUC_221
Hey everyone,

as Newnham graduate accommodation is full, I am looking into alternatives. Has anybody heard about experiences with private accommodation services such as Student Castle?

Hi,

I did my undergrad at York and have had friends who've had a positive experience with student castle there, I can't imagine that it differs too much between cities. If not maybe check out Girton, the new Eddington site is a bit far out if you're based in central Cambridge but has a fair amount of postgraduate accommodation.
Hi all, I would like to ask if anyone has experienced a similar situation before: After I have uploaded evidence for the last condition yesterday, I don't see the list of conditions on my portal like before. Does it mean I have met all of my conditions? I have extended my deadline until 31 August, and since this happened today, does it mean I will be confirmed soon? Thank you all!
Original post by bellerin02
Hi all, I would like to ask if anyone has experienced a similar situation before: After I have uploaded evidence for the last condition yesterday, I don't see the list of conditions on my portal like before. Does it mean I have met all of my conditions? I have extended my deadline until 31 August, and since this happened today, does it mean I will be confirmed soon? Thank you all!

Yes and yes
Hi all, for those self-funded non-British students, how are you switching your currency to GBP in order to pay? I worry about the volatility of the currency and am just trying to save as much as possible.
Have any King's members heard about accommodation? Its getting a little late isn't it?
Original post by AdowaK1
Have any King's members heard about accommodation? Its getting a little late isn't it?

Many Colleges don't tell you which room you are in until you turn up at the Porter's Lodge to pick up the key.

They will tell you if they can't accommodate you, but otherwise, they do the best they can to fit you into whatever room size/price/location/facilities you asked for on a form/online earlier on. After that, there's not much to be done or that can be changed, until everyone turns up.
Original post by GonzagaAlum
Hi all, for those self-funded non-British students, how are you switching your currency to GBP in order to pay? I worry about the volatility of the currency and am just trying to save as much as possible.

My college has an option to pay online. Check with them.
Hi, I applied October 8th for a PhD. My second reference still has not been submitted yet (I'm waiting on my professor to do it), yet my application status changed to "under review by department" 6 days later on October 14th and remains in that status. I'm very confused for two reasons: 1) 6 days seems relatively fast to go from submitted to departmental review, and 2) my second reference has not been submitted yet it has already moved on to this stage.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I don't know whether it's a good sign or a bad sign that things are moving so quickly. I have a faculty member who has already agreed to supervise my research, if that makes any difference. With that said, I'm inclined to think that I'm going to get an early rejection if it's moving this fast without my second reference even being submitted yet.
Hi everyone I hold an offer for PhD and been accepted at Hughes Hall college, will it be possible to change the college?In addition will it be possible to apply for one of the Cambridge’s scholarships after my admission has been confirmed (my course will start on April 2020) When I applied I thought I will be able to get a scholarship from my country so I didn’t apply for any funds/scholarships, however at the moment I can not get any scholarships from my country and I don’t want to lose my place at the university..If it’s possible how can I apply and who shall I contact?@threeportdrift@CamGradHistoryThanks in advance
Original post by Sally-1
Hi everyone I hold an offer for PhD and been accepted at Hughes Hall college, will it be possible to change the college?In addition will it be possible to apply for one of the Cambridge’s scholarships after my admission has been confirmed (my course will start on April 2020) When I applied I thought I will be able to get a scholarship from my country so I didn’t apply for any funds/scholarships, however at the moment I can not get any scholarships from my country and I don’t want to lose my place at the university..If it’s possible how can I apply and who shall I contact?@threeportdrift@CamGradHistoryThanks in advance

I dont think you can apply for another College once you have been allocated a College. Being a member of a College is an important req and if you dont have a College, your offer may be withdrawn.

Which Colleges were your choices on your application?

You can try to request a transfer based on medical reasons, but these are rare and rarely accepted by Cam.

The only possible way to change colleges is to apply for one of the Colleges specific scholarships like Peterhouse, Trinity, Fitzwilliam, St Catherines, Queens etc. If you get accepted then the College will ask Hughes Hall to move your membership to them.

For other scholarships, you may have missed the deadline. You can still try here:

https://www.cambridgetrust.org/scholarships/

https://www.graduate.study.cam.ac.uk/finance/funding

Also look on individual College websites for funding opportunities and how to apply for them.

Good luck.
(edited 4 years ago)
Me!! Debating between a few courses including an MPhil in Social Anthropology / MPhil in Sociology of New Media and a PGDip (post grad diploma) in Religion, theology and Philosophy of Religion to lay the basis for later research at MPhil/ PhD level...

Any other social scientists stuck in this predicament of which course to apply to?!?
Original post by Wired_1800
I dont think you can apply for another College once you have been allocated a College. Being a member of a College is an important req and if you dont have a College, your offer may be withdrawn.

Which Colleges were your choices on your application?

You can try to request a transfer based on medical reasons, but these are rare and rarely accepted by Cam.

The only possible way to change colleges is to apply for one of the Colleges specific scholarships like Peterhouse, Trinity, Fitzwilliam, St Catherines, Queens etc. If you get accepted then the College will ask Hughes Hall to move your membership to them.

For other scholarships, you may have missed the deadline. You can still try here:

https://www.cambridgetrust.org/scholarships/

https://www.graduate.study.cam.ac.uk/finance/funding

Also look on individual College websites for funding opportunities and how to apply for them.

Good luck.

Thank you so much for your reply
Original post by Sally-1

No, you can't change College unless you win a scholarship from another College that requires membership, or you have a disability hughes can't deal with.

I don't know how you get back into the scholarship hunt if you didn't ask for it in your application. Try to contact admissions by phone on 2nd when they are back in work. However, generally for overseas students, it's harder to get a scholarship from Cam than it is from their home countries, so I'd keep looking at home.
Greetings.. I applied for ESD and got the same email that the department is recomending that I be offered a place too. What does this mean?
Greetings.. I applied for ESD and got the same email that the department is recomending that I be offered a place too. What does this mean?

Original post by Oge12
Hi @EddoMis. Looks like it's a department-wide delay (don't take my word for it though). I'm in the same situation as you, waiting (patiently). Hopefully offers will go out soon.
Original post by Chadwickbarclay

From this thread, it seems that you have an offer. You should wait until the official is sent to you. Which Colleges did you select?

When did you apply and what is your timeline?

Latest

Trending

Trending