Official CAMBRIDGE 2019 Postgraduate Applicants thread Watch

Private, I
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Is it just a case of turning up at any time?

Also, how did your visits go? :P
mimibearxo
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Is anyone applying to the MPhil in Criminology?

I am an international applicant from Canada!
Jgradschool
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Private, I)
Is it just a case of turning up at any time?

Also, how did your visits go? :P
I didn't do any formal tours or an open day, I just turned up and had a walk around. A fair amount of the colleges are open to the public so you get to wander about without being bothered. Emma, Gonville & Caius, and Christ's College seem like a good fit for me. I really liked King's College's cows, they reminded me of home, but I thought it was a bit of a piss-take that I had to buy a ticket to look around. I realised that some of the other colleges I thought might be a good fit were too far from the centre (goodbye Selwyn & Girton). Ceteris Paribus with funding I think I'll end up picking preferences out of a hat.

Overall, I really like Cambridge, it's not so small that I'd be bored outside of my studies but not so big that I'd find it a hassle to go anywhere. London is also only like 50 minutes away. I think it's great!
MPhilDevelopmen
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey, I just applied for the MPhil in Development Studies. Does anybody know when we can expect a decision?
Jgradschool
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by MPhilDevelopmen)
Hey, I just applied for the MPhil in Development Studies. Does anybody know when we can expect a decision?
woah someone's eager, it'll take a while, maybe 8 weeks? I'm not sure. I'm also not sure sending off an application now was the wisest choice, funding is being updated now and will be available in October. If you're sponsored or self-financed then good on you, but I would wait until funding options come out
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by MPhilDevelopmen)
March 2019,unless you are epically good or obviously not going to make the cut, in which case you will hear earlier.
allujallu
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Applying for a PhD if I find a PI with common interests in Cambridge. Actually I already contacted one potential supervisor. Wrote a draft of a PhD proposal and sent it with a short self-introduction and request for commentary. Anyone knows what's an average (ish) reply time for this kind of enquiries, i e when is it sensible to send a reminder? Been waiting for a response for two days and I already feel miserable 🙈 Btw a starting MPhil student in Translational Biomedical Research here. Ask me around if you feel like it.
yfconan
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by allujallu)
Applying for a PhD if I find a PI with common interests in Cambridge. Actually I already contacted one potential supervisor. Wrote a draft of a PhD proposal and sent it with a short self-introduction and request for commentary. Anyone knows what's an average (ish) reply time for this kind of enquiries, i e when is it sensible to send a reminder? Been waiting for a response for two days and I already feel miserable 🙈 Btw a starting MPhil student in Translational Biomedical Research here. Ask me around if you feel like it.
It depends. I contacted my potential supervisor at Cambridge in February and he replied with 2 hours. I then went to his office and we had a discussion on my research proposal. He revised my proposal several times, and asked me to submit the application in September to make sure I have the opportunities to get a funding. But when I contacted another professor at Oxford, it takes one week for her to reply to my email. But her email did not show much interest in me and my research topic.

My suggestion would be to wait for one or two weeks and then send a gentle reminder to the professor. You could say that you revised the proposal a little bit and would like to send to him/her an updated version.
claudiatea
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
- Current University: University of York
- Achieved (Expected) Grade: First (possibly with Distinction - I hope!)
- Prospective Course: MPhil Education, Globalisation and International Development
- Prospective College: Homerton College? Not sure yet
- Fun fact/Extra Curricular activities: Music, writing, yoga, various education things...

I'm also from the US and hoping to apply for the Gates Cambridge Scholarship. Anyone else applying for it as well? I'm quite nervous about it
andice
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi there, I am looking to apply to the MPhil in Real Estate Finance - I was wondering if anyone could help me with this.. The application asks if you have any research interests. While I do have some particular areas of interest within the scope of the course, I don't have any real research experience and concrete research title/summary to submit. My question is will I be disadvantaged by not including any research interests in my application? With a few more days I am sure I could come up with something very interesting, but I don't want to just manufacture a research idea just for the application. On the other hand, I don't want to disadvantage myself in the application. Any help would be great! Thanks!
flowersnow97
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If im not looking for funding, when’s the best time to apply?
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by flowersnow97)
If im not looking for funding, when’s the best time to apply?
When you are ready but before the middle of February.
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by andice)
Are they asking for a research proposal if you do say you have specific research interests? If not, then I'd say something, it makes you seem more engaged with the subject area. BUt you will have to do a little reading around because you can then be expected to get a question or two at interview. It does sound rather disengaged (to a research intensive university) not to say you've got some research interests. you can be relatively ambiguous and self-deprecating about the level to which you've investigated them etc.
fjmercadomx
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi!

I’m going to apply to MPhil in Public Policy
I’m from Mexico 🇲🇽, I don’t have a the highest grades (89.93/100) but I have a pretty good CV, I even ran for Federal Congressman in last year’s Mexican General Election. Do you think that with my CV, a good work essay, statement and references will make up for my grades?
user73867
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello! On the Cambridge application when I go to preview my application, it removes all of the lines between paragraphs and makes it into one large block of text. Do the admissions tutors see it this way? It really is the most dreadful thing.

SS
yfconan
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Another dreadful thing is that you can see in the preview 'Surname, Mr/Ms first name'.
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Supersaps)
Hello! On the Cambridge application when I go to preview my application, it removes all of the lines between paragraphs and makes it into one large block of text. Do the admissions tutors see it this way? It really is the most dreadful thing.

SS
So pleased to see you on site again! :hugs: dont know if you remember me but always liked you as a user :hugs:
good luck with your cambridge application! you can do it dude :lockstock:
user73867
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by CoolCavy)
So pleased to see you on site again! :hugs: dont know if you remember me but always liked you as a user :hugs:
good luck with your cambridge application! you can do it dude :lockstock:
My dear Cavy,

Yes, I remember you. What are you doing up at this ungodly hour of the night?
I can't PM you. Do find a way to say hello.

SS
posthumus
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm guessing if they've stated that applications are accepted on a 'rolling basis', it'd be wise to apply as soon as possible?

I would have liked to wait at least a month because I just started doing some interesting work that is very much related to the course I plan to apply for.

So I'd have a lot to talk about in terms of what I've done/achieved... but not sure if the trade-off is worth it.

Any thoughts ?
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by posthumus)
I'm guessing if they've stated that applications are accepted on a 'rolling basis', it'd be wise to apply as soon as possible?

I would have liked to wait at least a month because I just started doing some interesting work that is very much related to the course I plan to apply for.

So I'd have a lot to talk about in terms of what I've done/achieved... but not sure if the trade-off is worth it.

Any thoughts ?
Applications made on a rolling basis doesn't mean that decisions are, ie that the decision rate matches the application rate. It means that your application is read as it comes in, but unless it is without merit, or completely stellar, then they won't make a decision until spring when they can see what the whole cohort strength is. There's no real advantage in applying before Christmas unless there is a funding deadline.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (378)
67.14%
No (185)
32.86%

Watched Threads