The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Scroll to see replies

Original post by threeportdrift
Applications made on a rolling basis doesn't mean that decisions are, ie that the decision rate matches the application rate. It means that your application is read as it comes in, but unless it is without merit, or completely stellar, then they won't make a decision until spring when they can see what the whole cohort strength is. There's no real advantage in applying before Christmas unless there is a funding deadline.

Oooh great, thank you so much :biggrin: That has really put me at a lot of ease.

I guess I should have figured out when they said 'considered' and not 'decided'.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 81
Original post by yfconan
It depends. I contacted my potential supervisor at Cambridge in February and he replied with 2 hours. I then went to his office and we had a discussion on my research proposal. He revised my proposal several times, and asked me to submit the application in September to make sure I have the opportunities to get a funding. But when I contacted another professor at Oxford, it takes one week for her to reply to my email. But her email did not show much interest in me and my research topic.

My suggestion would be to wait for one or two weeks and then send a gentle reminder to the professor. You could say that you revised the proposal a little bit and would like to send to him/her an updated version.

How did you identify a potential supervisor? I'm applying for an MPhil and my department (Judge Business School) has a list of faculty but doesn't stipulate which of these are supervisors. I've seen that other departments have dedicated lists for potential supervisors so does Judge perhaps try to deter students from contacting faculty?
Reply 82
Original post by J649
How did you identify a potential supervisor? I'm applying for an MPhil and my department (Judge Business School) has a list of faculty but doesn't stipulate which of these are supervisors. I've seen that other departments have dedicated lists for potential supervisors so does Judge perhaps try to deter students from contacting faculty?

The potential supervisor was a guest lecturer in the department of my university, and I cited some of his papers in my MA dissertation. I also know the supervisor's current PhD student, and she highly recommended this supervisor to me.
is anyone also applying to oxford? and if so, how drastically are you changing your research proposal if at all? (I specifically am applying for an MSt/MPhil in History)
Hello everyone

I am in the process of submitting my application but the funding personal statements take ages to do. Can I just submit the same one for Gates Cambridge and the Cambridge Trust? Has anyone else done this? Also when they say I have to list the scholarships I am eligible for in the Trust section, do I actually need to list all of the ones from colleges, that I can also find on the funding search website, or is that something else? Sorry I never studied at Cambridge and this is all very new to me.

Cheers!
Hello, has anyone applied to the MPhil in Development Studies?
Original post by historynerd2018
is anyone also applying to oxford? and if so, how drastically are you changing your research proposal if at all? (I specifically am applying for an MSt/MPhil in History)

I'm applying for the History DPhil. What I have done is tailor my research proposal slightly - for instance, by mentioning manuscripts held in Oxford for that proposal. Other than that, I would recommend looking at what is being done in the faculty which is relevant to your proposal, and perhaps tweaking your ideas slightly (not too much) so there's some form of link.
How do I find out if there is an interview process?

It doesn't mention it in the Apply section (or a motivational letter for that matter), but I know from past forums that they have interviewed for the course.

And in this case it would then be better to apply earlier to get an earlier interview?
Well, firstly, what are you applying for? I looked back, but didn't see you mention it anywhere.
Original post by Private, I
Well, firstly, what are you applying for? I looked back, but didn't see you mention it anywhere.

Ooh my bad :biggrin:

I'm looking to apply for MPhil Machine Learning and Machine Intelligence.

I would have thought they'd include whether they usually interview or not for prospective applicants, like Oxford have for MSc Statistical Sciences.
Looking through the course page, I see no mention of an interview. I expect it's not required - 'How to Apply' for my DPhil stated very clearly that an interview is to be expected. However, it also doesn't say that you don't need an interview - I'd send an email to them just to make certain.
Hi everyone, I'm an international applicant from the US graduating this year and applying for a MPhil in Public Health (is anyone else?). Wishing everyone the best with their apps!
Reply 92
Original post by amgc1920
Hello, has anyone applied to the MPhil in Development Studies?

Me! :smile:
When did you apply? Do you know when will know?
Is anyone else here applying for the MPhil in Theoretical and Applied Linguistics? It'd be nice to have a chat about it, if so! :smile:
Original post by NILinguist
Is anyone else here applying for the MPhil in Theoretical and Applied Linguistics? It'd be nice to have a chat about it, if so! :smile:

It'd help if you mentioned a bit more about yourself/your research interests :smile:
Original post by Jgradschool
It'd help if you mentioned a bit more about yourself/your research interests :smile:

No problem! I'm in my final year of studying a BA in English and Linguistics, and I have a particular interest in phonetics. Cambridge is one of my top two choices for my Master's and I'm hoping to go into doctoral research after completing my MPhil, if all goes well!
Reply 97
Original post by amgc1920
When did you apply? Do you know when will know?

I applied in early September and my application is now awaiting approval from the GAO, which from what I've read is good news, but still I don't want to get too excited yet. I think they look at them on a rolling basis for development studies
Original post by NILinguist
No problem! I'm in my final year of studying a BA in English and Linguistics, and I have a particular interest in phonetics. Cambridge is one of my top two choices for my Master's and I'm hoping to go into doctoral research after completing my MPhil, if all goes well!

Oh, interesting I think a friend of mine is in more or less the same situation. We haven’t spoken in a while, but I remember she said she was looking to do a masters in the same field.

Best of luck!
Original post by Graddev
I applied in early September and my application is now awaiting approval from the GAO, which from what I've read is good news, but still I don't want to get too excited yet. I think they look at them on a rolling basis for development studies

Wow congratulations! Wish you the best

Latest

Trending

Trending