The Student Room Group

Finding a job

I have been wondering if I could get a job at my age (15) and I would mind working in a cafe or a hairdressers or even being a cleaner for the weekend it only so I can put a bit of money in my pocket for me.
You can, I worked in a nursery but it was stepmums nursery, you usaully need to be trained :/
but for a lot of jobs like you mentioned, retail, working in cafes etc. you could easily apply for a job there. if yo usearch online, so many jobs will be posted within your area too
I have been looking for ages but I just can’t find any online
Original post by Billiejopage
I have been looking for ages but I just can’t find any online

really, nothing? are you sure?
Original post by justanotherchica
really, nothing? are you sure?

What I did was to google maps all the shops/retail/restaurants in my area and systematically email all of them. Out of fifty emails, one gave me a trial shift and later a job, so be persistent and don't give up! :smile: I'd do that and ask if they are interested in hiring under 18s.
I'm 16 and have a job as a waitress. My friend who is 15 has a job. A cafe or restaurant is always a start as they look for younger people (like us) just make sure it's gonna be something you enjoy. It also depends where you work if they'd take you or not but just make a good impression. Good luck! Hope this helps
Yeah I will do that now . Thank you
Original post by Billiejopage
I have been wondering if I could get a job at my age (15) and I would mind working in a cafe or a hairdressers or even being a cleaner for the weekend it only so I can put a bit of money in my pocket for me.

A lot of places wont take people on until they are 16 (and preferably left school).
Partly because of all the laws surrounding employing under 16's and partly because you dont have a national insurance number. That could be why you havent had any replied- because of your age.
Some smaller restaurants and cafes take younger people on though. These are smaller ones, not the big chain ones.
Theres also the possibility of a paper round.
You can, I worked in a nursery but it was stepmums nursery, you usaully need to be trained :/
but for a lot of jobs like you mentioned, retail, working in cafes etc. you could easily apply for a job there. if yo usearch online, so many jobs will be posted within your area too

Yes, you could easily apply for a job in retail, cafes etc, but 95% of places only take on over 16's. Its only small names that might take on younger people.
And working in a nursery? It being your step mums nursery obviously helped you get in there, but its highly unprofessional. People working in nurseries usually require some form of chilcare qualification. And also- im trying to find a source for this, but if you are 15/16 you shouldnt be counted in the staff ratios either.
Original post by Emma:-)
Yes, you could easily apply for a job in retail, cafes etc, but 95% of places only take on over 16's. Its only small names that might take on younger people.
And working in a nursery? It being your step mums nursery obviously helped you get in there, but its highly unprofessional. People working in nurseries usually require some form of chilcare qualification. And also- im trying to find a source for this, but if you are 15/16 you shouldnt be counted in the staff ratios either.

well i was considered a volunteer and it looks like a got some good experience, that's why I have a new job as a tutor. The nursery work helped me get there. It's just that I was paid "secretly" but really i think most people knew.
well i was considered a volunteer and it looks like a got some good experience, that's why I have a new job as a tutor. The nursery work helped me get there. It's just that I was paid "secretly" but really i think most people knew.

It may have helped you, im not denying that, its just thats it not professional
You being a "volunteer" and helping out gets you out of having to have a childcare qualification i suppose, but due to you only being 15/16, you shouldnt really have been counted in ratios. And unless you had a DBS check, you certainly shouldnt have been left on your own with kids. Or changed nappies etc either.
Ive worked in nurseries in the past, thats how i know.
Original post by Emma:-)
It may have helped you, im not denying that, its just thats it not professional
You being a "volunteer" and helping out gets you out of having to have a childcare qualification i suppose, but due to you only being 15/16, you shouldnt really have been counted in ratios. And unless you had a DBS check, you certainly shouldnt have been left on your own with kids. Or changed nappies etc either.
Ive worked in nurseries in the past, thats how i know.

I have had a dbs check
and I was never really considered in the ratio, I jsut helped out anyone who needed the most help with the kids.
I have had a dbs check
and I was never really considered in the ratio, I jsut helped out anyone who needed the most help with the kids.

Thats fair enough then.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending