Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have offers from these two unis and I'm torn... can you give me any insights as to which is better in terms of the actual course, the city, the experience, job prospects, everything basically. Any info/advice is much appreciated... PS. I am an international student

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RowanneK)
    I have offers from these two unis and I'm torn... can you give me any insights as to which is better in terms of the actual course, the city, the experience, job prospects, everything basically. Any info/advice is much appreciated... PS. I am an international student
    I have not been to either university as a student, but have visited Glasgow a couple of times.

Both universities are generally very good for Computer Science and Maths.

London is of course London, there is so much to see and do. Glasgow has plenty to do too, but it of course cheaper than London.

KCL seems to have more choices of modules in terms of mathematics and statistics, which is the essential part of Data Science as you know.

If you haven't already done so, also consider Warwick for Data Science as I have done some work with a PhD student from there and they have an outstanding reputation and program for Data Science.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jestersnow)
    I have not been to either university as a student, but have visited Glasgow a couple of times.

Both universities are generally very good for Computer Science and Maths.

London is of course London, there is so much to see and do. Glasgow has plenty to do too, but it of course cheaper than London.

KCL seems to have more choices of modules in terms of mathematics and statistics, which is the essential part of Data Science as you know.

If you haven't already done so, also consider Warwick for Data Science as I have done some work with a PhD student from there and they have an outstanding reputation and program for Data Science.
    Thank you very much for your insight Not to sound shallow but which of the two unis is regarded as more prestigious in the UK especially for employers? It's hard for me to grasp how well a uni is regarded given that I do not live in the UK. I realize that both unis are great so i'm trying to find any perks for one over the other..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RowanneK)
    Thank you very much for your insight Not to sound shallow but which of the two unis is regarded as more prestigious in the UK especially for employers? It's hard for me to grasp how well a uni is regarded given that I do not live in the UK. I realize that both unis are great so i'm trying to find any perks for one over the other..
    Both are well regarded, but I've found speaking to international students that universities in London (like Imperial, UCL, KCL etc...) tend to "travel" better. In the sense that more people internationally have heard of them.

Additionally for sure the most jobs in Data Science (and most things really) are in London, so networking in London and getting connected to employers in the area through KCL may give you more opportunity.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 21, 2018

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.