The Student Room Group

Gap year advice

So I'm on a gap year and I'm basically sitting at home doing nothing all day!
I didn't want to take a gap year - I didn't get into uni, so I'm reapplying. Because of that, I didn't have any real plans for this year apart from reapplying to uni. I also wanted to get a job and save up for travelling, but I've been job hunting since September, with no luck. And without a job, travelling is out of the question for me. Tbh, I don't mind not having a job and not travelling, if I had something else to do!
I have been super busy over the last few months with my uni application, entrance exams, interview prep etc... But now that that's all over, I'm starting to realise I'm not doing anything productive. And I'm also realising how lonely I am, since ALL my friends have moved away for uni.
I volunteer regularly, and I'm taking driving lessons and piano lessons, but they don't take up a lot of time. Back when I was at college, I was busy all day and I kind of miss that.
Does anyone have ideas of what I can do this year (apart from travel), so it's not a total waste? because I'm feeling really unmotivated to do anything!!
Original post by Anonymous
So I'm on a gap year and I'm basically sitting at home doing nothing all day!
I didn't want to take a gap year - I didn't get into uni, so I'm reapplying. Because of that, I didn't have any real plans for this year apart from reapplying to uni. I also wanted to get a job and save up for travelling, but I've been job hunting since September, with no luck. And without a job, travelling is out of the question for me. Tbh, I don't mind not having a job and not travelling, if I had something else to do!
I have been super busy over the last few months with my uni application, entrance exams, interview prep etc... But now that that's all over, I'm starting to realise I'm not doing anything productive. And I'm also realising how lonely I am, since ALL my friends have moved away for uni.
I volunteer regularly, and I'm taking driving lessons and piano lessons, but they don't take up a lot of time. Back when I was at college, I was busy all day and I kind of miss that.
Does anyone have ideas of what I can do this year (apart from travel), so it's not a total waste? because I'm feeling really unmotivated to do anything!!

Better voluntary work.
Try harder for a job.
Work experience in your degree area?
Read more? Get fit?
Activities that improve your application or a resit.
Careers research?

Be first for Christmas jobs? You need money.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Better voluntary work.
Try harder for a job.
Work experience in your degree area?
Read more? Get fit?
Activities that improve your application or a resit.
Careers research?

Be first for Christmas jobs? You need money.

I've not given up applying for a job. I don't need to resit my A levels and I did a ton of work experience for my uni application. Basically, my application process is over and all I have to do now is wait for offers or rejections. I know I can do more work experience, but that would mostly mean shadowing healthcare professionals, and it's really not the most productive use of time- which is why volunteering appealed to me, since I would actually be doing something.
Thank you for your suggestions about reading and getting fit! Definitely need to stop putting those off! 😁
It's not career-related activities that I'm looking for, just things to do in my gap year apart from travel, so that my year isn't a complete waste? Of that makes any sense 😂
Original post by Anonymous
I've not given up applying for a job. I don't need to resit my A levels and I did a ton of work experience for my uni application. Basically, my application process is over and all I have to do now is wait for offers or rejections. I know I can do more work experience, but that would mostly mean shadowing healthcare professionals, and it's really not the most productive use of time- which is why volunteering appealed to me, since I would actually be doing something.
Thank you for your suggestions about reading and getting fit! Definitely need to stop putting those off! 😁
It's not career-related activities that I'm looking for, just things to do in my gap year apart from travel, so that my year isn't a complete waste? Of that makes any sense 😂

Enjoying yourself , earning money or self development.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending