Blood Brothers- "Quote a day" Join the analysis! watch

Announcements
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Lemur14)
    "'Gis a sweet" said by Mickey to Eddie when they first meet aged 7.
    This clearly shows a difference of class, as Mickey demands one, whereas Eddie has clearly been brought up to share so is clearly happy to do so.
    Accent prevalent in the characterisation of Mickey: it's really central to the audience's understanding of him. Every line is delivered through this thick scouse accent, learnt from his mother. The antithesis with Eddie's accent is very clearly intended.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Whoops, haven't kept up with this

"It's doesn't matter, the whole thing's just a game" sung by the children.
    This shows childhood innocence, as they don't understand that death is permanent and life is not something you can casually play with.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    "Do you live up in the park?" Mickey to Eddie.
    The fact Eddie lives up in the park shows that the upper class are above the lower class, which is a metaphor for real life where the upper class looks down on the lower class for being less good.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    "Mrs J. We must make this a, erm, a binding agreement."
    This shows Mrs Lyon's class, as she is manipulating her employee Mrs Johnstone for her own personal gain. It also shows her education as she knows how to do this. Furthermore, it shows Mrs Johnstone's innocence in that she doesn't realise this is happening.

Anyone still reading? :laugh:
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    “Leave me alone will y'? I can’t cope.”
    Mickey's words to Linda when she asks him to stop taking the pills in prison.

Russell foreshadowing the tragedy to come. Mickey's character is given a desire for independence. You could also bring a lot of context in here about the working class and what Russell might be trying to comment on society.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Doing a dreadful job of keeping this daily, sorry guys!
    As always, feel free to chime in with more quotes or additional analysis!

"Maybe everybody's packed their bags and moved away" This is sung by Mickey after Eddie has moved away. It shows childhood innocence as just one family (albeit a big one in his life) moving away leads him to think "everyone" has moved. It also depicts loneliness as he feels without his best friend there's noone worth playing with, and also jealousy as he feels he's the only one left and everyone else has got away to a better place than here. This is foreboding for when he later becomes truely jealous of Eddie and eventually kills him.

ReputationRep:
    "Leave me alone with y'? I can't cope."
    Russell may be trying to portray that upper class politicians are continually picking on the lower class?
    Idk tho, could be 100% wrong
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by StarbucksLife14)
    "Leave me alone with y'? I can't cope."
    Russell may be trying to portray that upper class politicians are continually picking on the lower class?
    Idk tho, could be 100% wrong
    In English as long as you can justify it, it's totally correct
    You could also talk about how the lower class is defensive of their position because of this, and also how it separates them out from the rest of society
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Gosh I'm so bad at daily updates :facepalm:
    "I could have been…I could have been him" Mickey's jealousy of Eddie can be summed up in this sentence. His realisation that they had the same humble beginnings was the last straw as he saw Eddie as someone always trying to beat him, similar to sibling rivalry and jealousy when one is better than the other.

(Original post by MiriamButcher)
    “they say that if either twin learns that he once was a pair, they shall both immediately die.” - Mrs Lyons

Mrs Lyons uses her knowledge that Mrs Johnstone is superstitious and naïve to create a superstition that will give her control.

This is also a self-fulfilling prophecy that foreshadows the end of the play.
    Even more so than the play beginning at the end, with the twins' corpses lying on the floor?

Not a GCSE student but just wanted to point that out. I quite like this technique. I first came across it in The Wall (1979) when the record opens with the line "...we came in?" and ends with "Isn't this where..."

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 17, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.