Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have a lot of experience in music. I started playing the piano at 7 and went to a music school after my regular school 2 times a week for about 3 hours. I also had a piano teacher come to my house about 3 times a week for an hour and a half. All of this until I was 11- for 4 years. I also have 2 years of experience playing the violin, but that doesn't really matter because it's not the instrument I want to take.

Anyways, I had to stop the intensive study at 11 because it was too much for me- at that time I had gotten into a professional art school with lessons 3 times a week for 3 hours. I moved to England at 13 so we had to sell our piano. Now, at 14 years old and in the middle of Year 10 I would like to start playing the piano again. I was wondering if it is possible to regain the skills I had 3 years ago. My parents allowed me to buy another piano. I am planning to ask the music department at my school if I can take the GCSE, but that is only when I've gotten enough practice to the point where if they ask me, I could play a piece well. My question is, if I practice every day for the year that I have left, would it be possible for me to get a 9 in GCSE music?

ReputationRep:
    I mean the music is more about set works exam and composition and the performance side is only a small factor, you have to do a group piece and a solo so you’d need to learn two. But I reckon you could breeze through the set works you’d just be a little behind on composition but if you put in extra time during lunch breaks or after school if possible then you should be okay. I mean there’s a possibility of you getting a 9 but who’s to say. I guess you could if you put the work in.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I did GCSE music last year (OCR) so I don't know how much the course has changed. But talk to a music teacher to find out EXACTLY what you are going to need to produce. We had to play a solo piece, an ensemble piece, and make 2 compositions. What grade are you in piano? I'd say a grade 4 would be enough for top grades.

ReputationRep:
    Hi! Being able to play an instrument well is actually only 30% of your GCSE grade. If you’re able to play grade 5 and up you should be fine. Another 30% is composing, you don’t need to be a master of piano bc you can literally play a bunch of random notes and move them around to get a melody - dead easy.
    40% of is theory which is just recognising things in music, which you don’t need to play an instrument for.

Depends on your exam board but my school need 2 performance recordings and 2 compositions in submitted by mid-March of year 11 at the very latest. If you believe you can play well enough by then (which you should if you have prior knowledge) and are compose 2 2minute pieces of music (im a year 11 and we’ve done both of ours this year) you should be fine. Tbf a lot of schools start the GCSE spec in year 10 so you’re a few months behind but it’s nothing insurmountable.

Double check with school but you should be okay. Good luck with your studies!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 18, 2018
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.