The Student Room Group

English speaking exams

I would like to know any good topics people found effective for their GCSE English speaking exam as mine’s is in a few months and I still have no clue what to talk about!
Original post by Hangrac24
I would like to know any good topics people found effective for their GCSE English speaking exam as mine’s is in a few months and I still have no clue what to talk about!

Talk about something you know well, as it’ll be easier to answer their questions. I spoke about eczema as it’s something I know inside out.

What hobbies/interests do you have? :smile:
Reply 2
I like music and things like that, might do something about music therapy, I know quite a lot about that! Thank you :smile:
I talked about why feminism was still necessary despite media portrayal etc. because it is something i am (really) passionate avout and interested in and it was something that i knew i could speak for longer than the required time (so i knew I'd have a lot to say). We were advised to pick an issue or problem or belief rather than simply a topic i.e football because it meant we'd be more likely to hit the top marks. If you need any advice let me know
Reply 4
Thanks, that’s really helpful. Is there a limit to how many questions people ask you, do you know?
Just chose something that you are knowledgable about and will be able to answer random questions on without any difficulty
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
Thank you!!
Thanks, that’s really helpful. Is there a limit to how many questions people ask you, do you know?

I dont think so i think as long as someone has asked you 1 or 2 questions then you could have as many questions as you want
Reply 8
Stigma around mental health? If you’re passionate about it you will easily get a distinction. Why footballers get paid more than soldiers? Does equality really exist?
Reply 9
Thank you so much, I am very interested in the stigma of mental health.
Talk about a topic you’re passionate about or interested in, so that you have a lot to express and won’t run out of things to say so easily. I chose to talk about the importance of music and it was quite a good, easy subject to make a speech about
Thank you so much, I am very interested in the stigma of mental health.

Remember to keep looking at the audience, sound passionate and ask rhetorical questions such as ‘what if it was your son or daughter?’ And be prepared for questions asked such as how would you change this, you could mention raise awareness from a young age, get the school systems to mention mental health more and not make it seem like something that people are weak etc, hope this helps :smile:
Reply 12
Thank you so much! This helps so much x
Reply 13
I heard somewhere that you could talk about a show or tv programme you really enjoy? is that true?
yes- you can talk about pretty much anything you want
Reply 15
the nhs and whether they are funded enough, or nurses and if there pay is good enough and why, does their pay match up to all the time and help they give patients
You might find this boring but I did 'Everyone must vote ' as it was the centenary of when women got the vote. Also I got asked 3 questions at the end.
Reply 17
Thank you everyone these are really interesting suggestions! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest