Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm one who usually says that social media is more of an additional take-it-or-leave-it kind of thing but even I can't deny the impact it has on society and how it can influence people. I read about a guy who was radicalised by online material and posted his own extreme views on social media but the websites did nothing (it's not the Parkland shooter in case you were wondering).

Do you think social media is doing its bit and doing enough to prevent terrorism or should they be accepting a duty of care and stepping up their efforts?

ReputationRep:
    Do you think social media is doing its bit and doing enough to prevent terrorism?

No, probably not. Reporting something is a joke - it never gets dealt with.

or should they be accepting a duty of care and stepping up their efforts?

Do they have a moral responsibility? Sure. But at the end of the day, they're private companies, and I believe they should have the right to not go out of their way to deal with anything they don't want to.

ReputationRep:
    I think the challenges are huge. FB reckon they have 2 billion users now. That is 2 billion conversations every day, all with the potential to go public. Just how do you police the thoughts of the world?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    I think the challenges are huge. FB reckon they have 2 billion users now. That is 2 billion conversations every day, all with the potential to go public. Just how do you police the thoughts of the world?
    You can't but it is the responsibility of Facebook to make sure the law is upheld as what it states in their terms and conditions whether or not it is impossible or possible as of currently social media sites aren't doing enough, If I search on Facebook "Britain first" you will have a whole load of racist and far right material same goes for if I search up ISIS.
    If Facebook cannot cope with the sheer amount of extremist material on their site then they should close down their app.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The PoliticalGuy)
    You can't but it is the responsibility of Facebook to make sure the law is upheld as what it states in their terms and conditions whether or not it is impossible or possible as of currently social media sites aren't doing enough, If I search on Facebook "Britain first" you will have a whole load of racist and far right material same goes for if I search up ISIS.
    If Facebook cannot cope with the sheer amount of extremist material on their site then they should close down their app.
    Its a tough one. If I went into a supermarket and started shouting obscenities is it the shops responibility to uphold the law?

Personally I think it is for the police to uphold the law. But then it comes down to numbers.

ReputationRep:
    Its a tough one. If I went into a supermarket and started shouting obscenities is it the shops responibility to uphold the law?

Personally I think it is for the police to uphold the law. But then it comes down to numbers.
    Supermarkets aren't there for you to voice your opinions though. There's a difference between supermarkets being there for you to buy food and social media where posting information is encouraged.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2Trees)
    Supermarkets aren't there for you to voice your opinions though. There's a difference between supermarkets being there for you to buy food and social media where posting information is encouraged.
    OK. So say I was there with my mate and we were overheard using racist language and discriminatory language against other shoppers? Same thing no? Mark Zuccerberg invented Facebook as a way of effectively sharing pictures of the girls on campus he fancied. He certainly didn't invent it for sharing hate or excessive numbers of silly cats.

So I put it to you again. Does a supermarket have a responsibility for stopping people from speaking hatred in their premises?

ReputationRep:
    So I put it to you again. Does a supermarket have a responsibility for stopping people from speaking hatred in their premises?
    A moral responsibility? Sure.

A practical responsibility? I would hope so.

A legal responsibility? No.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HighOnGoofballs)
    A moral responsibility? Sure.

A practical responsibility? I would hope so.

A legal responsibility? No.
    Yet we place all three of those on Facebook and other social networks. Why? Surely it is for the police to monitor social media?

ReputationRep:
    Yet we place all three of those on Facebook and other social networks. Why? Surely it is for the police to monitor social media?
    Define "we"

I certainly don't. I think the only responsibility they have is a moral and practical one, not a legal.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HighOnGoofballs)
    Define "we"

I certainly don't. I think the only responsibility they have is a moral and practical one, not a legal.
    We the state of Britain. The social networks are only doing anything because it is in their interests financially. Morals don't come anywhere into the mix.

ReputationRep:
    We the state of Britain. The social networks are only doing anything because it is in their interests financially. Morals don't come anywhere into the mix.
    That's what I mean when I say practical obligation.

Its in their interest to prevent terrorism because if they don't, they lose customers and business.

And morals may play a part in it, you can't say that for sure.

But yes, the practical/financial obligation certainly plays a bigger part, I agree.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 21, 2018
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.