MrToodles4
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
0.500g of bronze was reacted with nitric acid giving a Cu2+*solution.* The solution was reacted with iodide ions, I-*forming a solution of iodine, I2.

This iodine solution*was then titrated with 0.200 mol dm-3*solution of sodium thiosulphate, 22.40cm3*of this was required.

Calculate the % by mass of copper in bronze

I did 0.2*(22.40/1000) = 0.00448 which were the moles of thiosulphate which I then divide by 2 to get moles of I2.

Now that I have moles of I2 - this gives me the moles of Cu2+ which I multiple the mols of I2 by 2 to get. then I do 63.5*mol of Cu2+ to give me mass of copper. Then mass of copper/0.5 * 100 to get percentage composition? Is this method correct?
Pigster
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by MrToodles4)
Is this method correct?
Your route through the problem is correct, it is just your molar ratios are a bit squiffy.

Can you show us your balanced overall reactions between Cu2+ and I- and between I- and S2O32-?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Exeter campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (290)
60.42%
Yes- I don't like it (23)
4.79%
No- I want it (132)
27.5%
No- I don't want it (35)
7.29%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise