Turn on thread page Beta

Distance Learning Strathclyde Hydrogeology MSc watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey there, curious if anyone has ever taken the hydrogeology masters programme at Strathclyde university?

I am a prospective international student (Canadian) with an MSc in petroleum geology currently working on oil rigs but am considering a career change by taking the hydrogeo MSc through the Distance Learning option (3yrs instead of 2). I feel that hydro will be a much more stable career in the future so want to change while I'm still young.

what is the workload like for each course?

how fun/applicable is the 1 week field camp?

did you get any job offers or PhD offers during the program or after?

How was the research project and was it flexible so that you could design the project more towards your career interests?

If anyone has experience taking any courses through distance learning at Strathclyde or this programme in particular it would be great to get your advice and thoughts! Thanks!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by duncaroo)
    Hey there, curious if anyone has ever taken the hydrogeology masters programme at Strathclyde university?

I am a prospective international student (Canadian) with an MSc in petroleum geology currently working on oil rigs but am considering a career change by taking the hydrogeo MSc through the Distance Learning option (3yrs instead of 2). I feel that hydro will be a much more stable career in the future so want to change while I'm still young.

what is the workload like for each course?

how fun/applicable is the 1 week field camp?

did you get any job offers or PhD offers during the program or after?

How was the research project and was it flexible so that you could design the project more towards your career interests?

If anyone has experience taking any courses through distance learning at Strathclyde or this programme in particular it would be great to get your advice and thoughts! Thanks!
    Postgrads don't tend to stick around. You can expect to treat your masters course like a full time job but if in doubt check with the uni what sorts of hours are expected. You can probably find info about the field camp on the website as well. People will go on to do a range of things after the course and again the uni will be able to tell you what. Again the uni will be able to tell you what sorts of projects are on offer. Whether or not you can tailor them to your interests will depend on a number of things such as practicality, resources and time available and supervision.

ReputationRep:
    I studied there. The workload is absolutely mad! 1-2 reports of 2500 words each every week, plus 3-4 quizzes each week. There is zero support from lecturers and they do not under any circumstances want you to get "Distinction" for the courses you take, they grade you down on extremely petty things, just so that you don't cross that 70% mark. Also, the distance learning option is not a graduating option, so you don't get to go on the only field trip they do go on, and you don't get to do a final research project.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geowiz)
    I studied there. The workload is absolutely mad! 1-2 reports of 2500 words each every week, plus 3-4 quizzes each week. There is zero support from lecturers and they do not under any circumstances want you to get "Distinction" for the courses you take, they grade you down on extremely petty things, just so that you don't cross that 70% mark. Also, the distance learning option is not a graduating option, so you don't get to go on the only field trip they do go on, and you don't get to do a final research project.
    How recently did you study the hydrogeo program there? From emailing with Dr. Kalin, he said that there is now a graduation option for the distance learning option and still has the potential to take the field course (obviously would be challenging to coordinate not being in the same country of course). I'm wondering if they have recently made changes as your experience sounds very different than what was outlined for me...despite the heavy workload did you find the program helpful and were you able to land a job soon after graduating? (my ultimate goal is to make myself more sellable as an employee as my current work experience is limited in hydro and there is a significant number of other geologists in similar situations as myself)
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 1, 2018

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.