Turn on thread page Beta

Is Katy Perry's Witness the greatest album? watch

ReputationRep:
    Katy Perry's Witness was released earlier last year, and it has made such contributions to music.

1. It ended Katy Perry's career:

Perry's PRISM sold 4 million copies world-wide, whilst Witness has so far sold 840,000 copies, with around 100k of them being free copies that came with a tour ticket.

Domestically, her last album produced 2 No 1 singles, with the overall chart entries being 1-14-1-17-24-11

This era?
    4-59-46-DID NOT CHART

2. It ended the villain in "Swish Swish", Taylor Swift's career:

Swift's 1989 moved more than 10 million copies globally, whilst reputation has shipped merely 2 (around 1.4m in her first week).

1989's singles peaked at 1-1-6-1-5-18-46-2.

After "Swish Swish" and the feud?

1-4-18

---

So, has there been any album as influential as Katy Perry's Witness since its release?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    i'm a little confused by this post

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by entertainmyfaith)
    i'm a little confused by this post
    Has any album contributed more to pop music than Katy Perry's Witness has these days?

This album ended Katy Perry and Taylor Swift.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Katy Perry looks like Justin Bieber’s chubby double and Taylor Swift is turning into Madonna
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Little Toy Gun)
    Has any album contributed more to pop music than Katy Perry's Witness has these days?

This album ended Katy Perry and Taylor Swift.
    so you're saying they've contributed to pop music but at the same time been unsuccessful- that makes sense tbh. i think reputation has been pretty successful, hasn't it broke records or something?
    what about dua lipa?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by entertainmyfaith)
    so you're saying they've contributed to pop music but at the same time been unsuccessful- that makes sense tbh. i think reputation has been pretty successful, hasn't it broke records or something?
    what about dua lipa?
    I'm saying it contributed to pop music by ending these 2 careers.

reputation only broke record as a part of her career, not as an album itself. Opening with 1.2 million copies in the US does not break any records, but shifting more than a million copies in her first week for the fourth consecutive time, or getting four million-selling weeks, is. Also keep in mind the fact that this is her very first time selling fewer copies in her first week than her previous album, which by the way is her most successful album to date. Predictions were as high as her outselling ADELE's record-shattering 3.4 million copies domestically, and it was initially projected to get 1.6-2 million units in its début frame.

1989 was an incredible success and so the million-plus opening was always in her bag. The extreme front-loadedness of the album and of the lead single "Look What You Made Me Do", on top of her inability to score another hit post album release, spell trouble, trouble, trouble.

This is of course without pointing out its disastrous performance outside of her native country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Night King)
    Katy Perry looks like Justin Bieber’s chubby double and Taylor Swift is turning into Madonna
    The Queen of Pop's never-ending impact! #legend

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 19, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.