Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can someone help me to choose IA topics please? Its my first time in IB and totally lost on it. Help this poor soul thanks!

ReputationRep:
    This is a really hard thing to do if there isn't a lot of information. I can't give you IA topics, because it depends on the level of maths you're taking and what your interests are. I've usually seen that the best IA's are done in topics that you're passionate and familiar about. I've seen some people model equations during sports and others using maths in law cases. The best way to wrack up the points is picking something you know inside and out, so you know the ins and outs of it. This will be very helpful during the maths process.

So there are 2 main topics when picking a question:

What are my interests?
    - Sports?
    - Extra curricular activities?
    - favourite class?
    - future career options?

And then:

What did I like in maths?
    - find the topic(s) that you liked /did well at
    - sometimes it could be useful in the long run if you pick your weakest maths topic, as the IA will offer significant revision. However, for this to work you'd need to put in the effort to really get good at it.

Once you know these 2 things you can just google it, for example if you really like bitcoin and want to work with calculus, you could search "bitcoin calculus" in google and get a general idea of what you're working with!

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.