Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    All my life I have been the type of person to always be ill, whether it be a bad cold, bad headaches or tonsillitis. I’m just very prone to getting ill and as a result of this I’ve had quite a bit of time off work or college. It’s very frustrating because I don’t want to be absent but why should I force myself to go in when I’m ill, only to make myself worse?
    I am currently suffering from tonsillitis and am going to have to call in sick to work because it’s just too bad, but my workplace is the type to make you feel really guilty for taking time off and pressure you and guilt trip you into working, like they’ll say “oh but we’re really busy we need you”. I just wanted to know if anyone else has this problem??? It really annoys me that if you take time off for being sick you are considered “weak” in a way and instead you should go in, suffer, not be productive, and inevitably get worse. I hate it so much. Like damn let me be ill in peace and let me get better!

ReputationRep:
    Ignore the guilt-tripping
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by schoolbeforeboys)
    All my life I have been the type of person to always be ill, whether it be a bad cold, bad headaches or tonsillitis. I’m just very prone to getting ill and as a result of this I’ve had quite a bit of time off work or college. It’s very frustrating because I don’t want to be absent but why should I force myself to go in when I’m ill, only to make myself worse?
    I am currently suffering from tonsillitis and am going to have to call in sick to work because it’s just too bad, but my workplace is the type to make you feel really guilty for taking time off and pressure you and guilt trip you into working, like they’ll say “oh but we’re really busy we need you”. I just wanted to know if anyone else has this problem??? It really annoys me that if you take time off for being sick you are considered “weak” in a way and instead you should go in, suffer, not be productive, and inevitably get worse. I hate it so much. Like damn let me be ill in peace and let me get better!
    It's not that you are 'weak' per se. The company is still paying individuals who are off sick when they aren't delivering any work. So the sick employee gets something for nothing.

It's disruptive for the rest of the workforce, first of all worrying about where a colleague is, then working out how to accommodate the absence, answer phones, manage diaries, answer emails, cover in all sorts of ways. It nearly always makes some level of additional work for colleagues, ie they get more work, for nothing, while they know the sick person is getting paid for nothing. If that happens often it is bound to create resentment.

Many employees do manage to come in when they are feeling under the weather, so long as they aren't actually contagious and still deliver which shows a commitment.

Sickness levels also vary with grade, even in non-manual roles, junior staff take much higher levels of sickness than senior staff, which implies junior staff have a much lower threshold of deciding they are too sick to come into work. You don't acquire any additional immunity when you get promoted, you just make more decisions in favour of work.

The bottom line is perhaps your use of 'I', about 9 times above? But your colleagues would probably say - no problem if you hand your pay back and less problem if you are in a job where you don't get paid if you don't turn up. Work is a team activity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    It's not that you are 'weak' per se. The company is still paying individuals who are off sick when they aren't delivering any work. So the sick employee gets something for nothing.

It's disruptive for the rest of the workforce, first of all worrying about where a colleague is, then working out how to accommodate the absence, answer phones, manage diaries, answer emails, cover in all sorts of ways. It nearly always makes some level of additional work for colleagues, ie they get more work, for nothing, while they know the sick person is getting paid for nothing. If that happens often it is bound to create resentment.

Many employees do manage to come in when they are feeling under the weather, so long as they aren't actually contagious and still deliver which shows a commitment.

Sickness levels also vary with grade, even in non-manual roles, junior staff take much higher levels of sickness than senior staff, which implies junior staff have a much lower threshold of deciding they are too sick to come into work. You don't acquire any additional immunity when you get promoted, you just make more decisions in favour of work.

The bottom line is perhaps your use of 'I', about 9 times above? But your colleagues would probably say - no problem if you hand your pay back and less problem if you are in a job where you don't get paid if you don't turn up. Work is a team activity.
    I am contagious. Lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starfab)
    Ignore the guilt-tripping
    It’s so hard when people like the person who replied also guilt trip 😂

ReputationRep:
    It’s so hard when people like the person who replied also guilt trip 😂
    It's a selfish world and sometimes we have to do what's best for ourselves. Think of it this way, if you go in to work, others could catch it from you, you won't be doing work, it will take longer for you to get better so you are actually doing less work than you would've if you'd taken the time off that you needed. etc etc
    That being said, I don't take sick days if I can avoid doing so.

ReputationRep:
    It's a selfish world and sometimes we have to do what's best for ourselves. Think of it this way, if you go in to work, others could catch it from you, you won't be doing work, it will take longer for you to get better so you are actually doing less work than you would've if you'd taken the time off that you needed. etc etc
    That being said, I don't take sick days if I can avoid doing so.
    Yeah and normally I do not take sick days and go in, but this is tonsillitis and very contagious! We have to put ourselves first

ReputationRep:
    Yeah and normally I do not take sick days and go in, but this is tonsillitis and very contagious! We have to put ourselves first
    Tonsillitis is a pain.

ReputationRep:
    Tonsillitis is a pain.
    I regret not getting them out when I was younger, wouldn’t do it now though as I don’t get it enough and it’s not worth the supposedly agonising recovery

ReputationRep:
    If you are sick you are sick, tonsillitis is no joke. Get a doctors note if they give you any grief

ReputationRep:
    Your health matters more, work can come afterwards. Get a doctor's note for proof

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by del1rious)
    If you are sick you are sick, tonsillitis is no joke. Get a doctors note if they give you any grief
    Thank you this has put my mind at rest. I’m glad that there aren’t people that realise the seriousness of tonsillitis and that’s it not just a sore throat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S a i n t)
    Your health matters more, work can come afterwards. Get a doctor's note for proof
    We live in a society where we pressure ourselves to work work work with no time off. But yeah, we need to put ourselves first.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    If you are ill, then you are ill, theres not much you can do and if you have to call in sick then it has got to be done.
    I can understand it from works point of view, in that they will have to find cover if possible. Either that or be short staffed, which is no fun for anyone at work.
    I think at many places, there's always the odd few people who are quick to phone in sick when there's the slightest thing wrong or they are slightly under the weather. When in reality they could still go to work. This then makes it bad for when genuinely ill people have to phone in sick as bosses may not think that you are genuinely ill.

ReputationRep:
    We live in a society where we pressure ourselves to work work work with no time off. But yeah, we need to put ourselves first.
    Yeah, that's true but if your health isn't great and you ignore it, it's gonna get worse meaning you're going to take even more days off.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you this has put my mind at rest. I’m glad that there aren’t people that realise the seriousness of tonsillitis and that’s it not just a sore throat.
    Anyone who says it’s just a sore throat has never spent 4 days straight spitting into a cup, hallucinating in the mirror and crying whilst trying to drink milkshake because it’s the only form of food you can eat!!! It is hell, hope you feel better soon

ReputationRep:
    My previous work was like this, I took one day off when I worked there and got guilt tripped because they hadn't bothered training the other girl on the bar I was supposed to be working with that night and they would have struggled without me. It's laughable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by del1rious)
    Anyone who says it’s just a sore throat has never spent 4 days straight spitting into a cup, hallucinating in the mirror and crying whilst trying to drink milkshake because it’s the only form of food you can eat!!! It is hell, hope you feel better soon
    Yes oh my gosh!! I’ve been prescribed antibiotics and they’re making me violently ill, and throwing up bile on an empty stomach because you can’t eat does not help a sore throat!! In absolute agony but it’ll get better eventually! And thanks so much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bones-mccoy)
    My previous work was like this, I took one day off when I worked there and got guilt tripped because they hadn't bothered training the other girl on the bar I was supposed to be working with that night and they would have struggled without me. It's laughable.
    It should definitely be changed, you can’t discriminate against a sick employee!! But they seem to have a right to do that.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.