Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Okay so I’m in Year 11 at the moment, and next year I hope to study A-Level Chemistry, Biology and Maths. I want to be a doctor, so of course I’ll have to study medicine, which is a very competitive course.
    I don’t have my predicted GCSE grades but here are my mock results for a rough idea of how I’m doing:
    Business Studies: A*
    English Language: 9
    English Literature: 6
    French: 6
    History:8
    Mathematics: 7
    Religious Education: 8
    Science: 7 (I got an 8 in biology and a 6 in physics, we didn’t have a chemistry mock)
    - Do GCSEs really matter when applying to study medicine?
    - Any general ideas on how I could improve my grades? They’re okay, but I’d like to do better.
    Thanks so much
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    practice papers

ReputationRep:
    For English lit I used flash cards to memorise quotes which worked well.

ReputationRep:
    thank you x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoxcm)
    thank you x
    How did you get a 9 in Language? Any tips because I'm currently on a 7. What exam board might I ask?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    It’s AQA I scored 144/160 in total, there are two papers both worth 80 marks. What’s your exam board?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoxcm)
    Hi,
    It’s AQA I scored 144/160 in total, there are two papers both worth 80 marks. What’s your exam board?
    Ah I do edexcel. I get good marks in the creative writing (30+) but it's the evaluation and comparison ones I struggle on. Do you follow a method/scheme to get marks or do you just go in and waffle?

ReputationRep:
    To be honest with you, I did no revision whatsoever and didn’t look at any kind of method. I can’t stand English, it’s my least favourite subject! But I would recommend looking at the mark scheme as that’s helped some of my friends; also I’m not sure if you have a choice of question for the 30 mark, but definitely pick the one that’s easiest and you can write the most about! I write lots and lots in exams, and that appears to have works in Language. You might also find that it helps to read the questions before reading the extract. I annotate my extracts too. Good luck

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.