Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Okay so I’m in Year 11 at the moment, and next year I hope to study A-Level Chemistry, Biology and Maths. I want to be a doctor, so of course I’ll have to study medicine, which is a very competitive course.
    I don’t have my predicted GCSE grades but here are my mock results for a rough idea of how I’m doing:
    Business Studies: A*
    English Language: 9
    English Literature: 6
    French: 6
    History:8
    Mathematics: 7
    Religious Education: 8
    Science: 7 (I got an 8 in biology and a 6 in physics, we didn’t have a chemistry mock)
    - Do GCSEs really matter when applying to study medicine?
    - Any general ideas on how I could improve my grades? They’re okay, but I’d like to do better.
    Thanks so much
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    practice papers

ReputationRep:
    For English lit I used flash cards to memorise quotes which worked well.

ReputationRep:
    thank you x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoxcm)
    thank you x
    How did you get a 9 in Language? Any tips because I'm currently on a 7. What exam board might I ask?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    It’s AQA I scored 144/160 in total, there are two papers both worth 80 marks. What’s your exam board?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoxcm)
    Hi,
    It’s AQA I scored 144/160 in total, there are two papers both worth 80 marks. What’s your exam board?
    Ah I do edexcel. I get good marks in the creative writing (30+) but it's the evaluation and comparison ones I struggle on. Do you follow a method/scheme to get marks or do you just go in and waffle?

ReputationRep:
    To be honest with you, I did no revision whatsoever and didn’t look at any kind of method. I can’t stand English, it’s my least favourite subject! But I would recommend looking at the mark scheme as that’s helped some of my friends; also I’m not sure if you have a choice of question for the 30 mark, but definitely pick the one that’s easiest and you can write the most about! I write lots and lots in exams, and that appears to have works in Language. You might also find that it helps to read the questions before reading the extract. I annotate my extracts too. Good luck

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.