The Student Room Group

Which GCSEs are you choosing/did you choose?

Just out of interest, I'd like to know what you are taking at GCSE and the types of careers/degrees you might be interested in. If you've already completed your GCSEs, if you could give the grades you got and what you are doing now that would be great too!!

I'm choosing this year, and I'm going to pick -

English Literature
English Language
Maths
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Geography
Spanish
French
Drama

With RS and German as my reserves! I'm interested in Maths, Languages and Linguistics at university (and possibly even Law). I don't really have a particular career in mind, but hopefully something that allows me to use my languages, because I love them! (The FCO, maybe)

What about you?

*Edit*
User Bill Nye made a thread very similar to this 10 days ago (though I wasn't aware of it at the time of making this thread), so if you like this thread you should definitely check their's out too! (It's called 'What options did you pick?')

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5189340
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

English lang and lit (compulsory)
Sciences, (compulsory) double award (it was a choice between triple science or history) (chose)
Maths, (compulsory) additional maths, statistics (optional)
ICT (compulsory)
Re (compulsory)
History (chose)
Art (optional- chose)
Lifeskills (a total doss) (compulsory)
I cannot remember if there was anything else
(edited 6 years ago)
Nice!! What kind of career/degree are you interested in?
Original post by tooschool4cool
Nice!! What kind of career/degree are you interested in?

I'drather not disclose what I do now. At the time I couldn't make my mind up, between becoming an architect, going into medicine, teaching or becoming a psychiatrist 😂
English Lit + Lang (compulsory)
Maths (compulsory)
Triple Science (compulsory)
RS (compulsory)
Media Studies
Economics
French
Geography

In Y11 right now and would like to become a writer x
Good luck with your GCSEs!
Hey! Do RS! It’s a blessing and is easier in comparison to drama etc.I’m doing the bulk of mine this year. Literature, Language, Maths, Stats, Biology, Chemistry and Physics.I did RS, Law and German this summer just gone and got A*, B and A respectively. It’s so hard to know but all you’ve got to do is ones that you enjoy and think you’ll do well in.
Oh ok, that's cool! Nice:smile:
Original post by ashestostardust
English Lit Lang (compulsory)
Maths (compulsory)
Triple Science (compulsory)
RS (compulsory)
Media Studies
Economics
French
Geography

In Y11 right now and would like to become a writer x
Good luck with your GCSEs!

Ah cool! What is your favourite subject? xx
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi there, I am taking:
English Language
English Literature
Maths
Maths - numeracy
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Welsh
Welsh Bacc
R.E.
History
Geography
Music
Ah cool! What is your favourite subject? xx

English Literature or Media. You?
Im in Yr 11 rn so will be finishing these soon but my subjects are:
Maths
English Lit and Lang
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
RS
French
History
Business Studies
:smile:
Original post by ethistu7
Hey! Do RS! It’s a blessing and is easier in comparison to drama etc.I’m doing the bulk of mine this year. Literature, Language, Maths, Stats, Biology, Chemistry and Physics.I did RS, Law and German this summer just gone and got A*, B and A respectively. It’s so hard to know but all you’ve got to do is ones that you enjoy and think you’ll do well in.

I'm pretty sure I want to do Drama though (and it's one of my best subjects)! Its going to be my number one reserve, but I don't think it's going to be my actual choice. The course does look really interesting, though.
Original post by imanwarsamee
Im in Yr 11 rn so will be finishing these soon but my subjects are:
Maths
English Lit and Lang
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
RS
French
History
Business Studies
:smile:

Nice! Do you enjoy them? Any you would/wouldn't recommend?:smile:
Reply 13
I’m still Yr9, but I’m pretty set on having a job that is/is similar to an Architect :smile:. Therefore I’m gonna be doing:

Compulsories (EnglishLit+Lang, Maths, Double Science, RS)

Design&Technology
Art&Design
French
Geography

I’m debating replacing French with something I enjoy way more, which is Food Tech, but apparently it has a bad rep for GCSE 🤷*♂️
Original post by ambertreharne
Hi there, I am taking:
English Language
English Literature
Maths
Maths - numeracy
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Welsh
Welsh Bacc
R.E.
History
Geography
Music

Woahh thats a lot!!! Cool:smile:
Original post by ashestostardust
English Literature or Media. You?

At the moment probably Maths, French and Spanish:smile:
Maths, English, triple science, RS (compulsory)
French
Spanish
History
Computing

For A-level I’m doing Maths, further maths, computing and Chemistry. So only one of my options actually mattered because I was doing the other ones anyway.

I want to go into a career in maths
Original post by ktech5
I’m still Yr9, but I’m pretty set on having a job that is/is similar to an Architect :smile:. Therefore I’m gonna be doing:

Compulsories (EnglishLit+Lang, Maths, Double Science, RS)

Design&Technology
Art&Design
French
Geography

I’m debating replacing French with something I enjoy way more, which is Food Tech, but apparently it has a bad rep for GCSE 🤷*♂️

I love languages, so I would tell you not to, but hey:smile: would triple science be useful for architecture? (I don't know aha)
Original post by RantingWhovian
Maths, English, triple science, RS (compulsory)
French
Spanish
History
Computing

For A-level I’m doing Maths, further maths, computing and Chemistry. So only one of my options actually mattered because I was doing the other ones anyway.

I want to go into a career in maths

Ah cool, I love maths toooo, and I'm going to take French and Spanish!
Ah cool, I love maths toooo, and I'm going to take French and Spanish!

I took them when I was good at languages back in year 9, then I focussed more on the subjects I needed so they became my worst subjects (got a B and a C). They were great fun though. I’m such a maths nerd so I didn’t really care about languages, incl English

Quick Reply

Latest