The Student Room Group

How are my choices for Sept?? Calling all English and Science students please!

So I’ve picked Lang, Bio and Chemistry with a hope to go on and study med (so 3 As are needed).

English shouldn’t be a great struggle but I’ve purposefully picked it so it’s easier than the sciences. Worried now though that Lit is way more respected, but don’t think I could handle heavy character progression, Shakespearean language and extensive plot knowledge ON TOP OF formulae and principles in my other two :s-smilie:

How do they sound to you? Are they horrendously difficult? Whenever I tell anyone, they pull a face like I’ve resigned myself to misery for the next two years haha.

It’s an additional requirement that I take core maths or EPQ alongside the choices. Probably going to go with EPQ as I believe it’ll probs be easier than sitting through even more Maths, which I hate with a passion. I can interpret graphs and rearrange etc but wouldn’t be able to deal with silly things like vectors and shapes :smile: blows my mind.

Let me know what you think choices manageable/enjoyable or not? Thanks in advance!
It all depends on how much work you’re willing to put in! I’m in year 11 too, hoping to do medicine and ive picked biology, chemistry and physics to do next year. I get that same face whenever i say it too! I think as long as you get the grades you need in the subjects you’ve picked (which are all hard subjects) then your choice between lang and lit won’t matter. Im sure an epq will be useful too in letting you develop research skills. Im sure your choices are definitely manageable as long as you work hard to get the grades you need.
Reply 2
Original post by Ellasimpson_
It all depends on how much work you’re willing to put in! I’m in year 11 too, hoping to do medicine and ive picked biology, chemistry and physics to do next year. I get that same face whenever i say it too! I think as long as you get the grades you need in the subjects you’ve picked (which are all hard subjects) then your choice between lang and lit won’t matter. Im sure an epq will be useful too in letting you develop research skills. Im sure your choices are definitely manageable as long as you work hard to get the grades you need.

Thank you lovely! All the best! It isn’t an easy ride but you’re right, hard work gets people there doesn’t it! Good luck for the future :smile:
Original post by ethistu7
Thank you lovely! All the best! It isn’t an easy ride but you’re right, hard work gets people there doesn’t it! Good luck for the future :smile:

No problem at all! Good luck to you too, let me know if you need anymore advice from someone in pretty much the same position as you,more than happy to help
I think your choices are fine. The face you mentioned people giving about your choices I think is more to do with you picking the sciences rather than your selection as a whole because science A Levels are ugggghh at the best of times (especially biology).

Tbh I'm not too sure with how language ranks against literature but i've never encountered any situation where medical schools have rejected anyone over it.

All in all, I think you'll be fine provided you put in the effort and hard work needed.
Great :smile: All I would say is double check the medicine courses that youre interested in at the specific unis as some may require Maths Alevel.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest